PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asomugha to JEST a good thing!??!

Status
Not open for further replies.
On PFT, they mentioned that the Jets are pushing for a decision. Waiting for Aso is basically holding up everything else that they're considering to pursue. If he decides against them, then they have to start targeting their other free agents like Clements and Cromartie before they sign elsewhere. In a way, whatever happens, at least Aso is delaying them on focusing on other FA targets.

If the Jets sign him, so be it. We all knew it might happen. I'd rather spend my time watching BB build our team. :)

Belichick's probably talking with the Vikings about a trade of Adrian Peterson for a 2045 7th round pick, just in case.

Last edited:
The Texans drop out of the Asomugha sweepstakes and the Bucs jump in. Not good for the Jets because the Bucs are way under the cap and need to spend to get above the salary cap minimum.

The 49ers and the Texans were also in hot pursuit, but now the Joseph deal presumably eliminates Houston from the race. But Tampa Bay -- which has been relatively quiet in free agency thus far -- has also been in the mix, per a person with knowledge of the teams competing for Asomugha's services.
Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes still unsettled in Day 3 of free agency | NJ.com

The more I think about this, the more I think this would be a foolish move for the Jets because of the salary cap and large contract that NA will command. The Jets will have virtually no money to spend anywhere else and have a laundry list of free agents. Here are the main reasons why I don't think this is a good move for them:

1. The main benefit of having a Revis-type player is to take away the best receiver on the other team. By taking a Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald out of the picture, it forces the other team to beat you with their second option. Usually the difference between the second and third option is pretty negligible; for example, who is the Lions second best receiver? What about the Cardinals? This is a lot of money to pay a cornerback to take a team's second best WR out of the picture; there are plenty of CBs that could do this.

2. There is some strange myth out there that lining up these CBs can each cover an entire side of the field. Unfortunately, my understanding of measurements and physics does not corroborate this. Teams could simply put their two best WRs on the same side of the field, run bunch formations, or run 4-WR spreads (which is probably why the Pats got Ocho.) Not that that Revis/Asomugha wouldn't be nasty, but they represent 2/11 of the defense.

3. The Jets aren't in the position to make a luxury play like this. On the "cool" factor, this move would get high marks. On the reality factor, the Jets have tons of holes to fill. The Jets have failed to stock major positions through the draft, and their vitality is dependent on the free agency market. This move doesn't seem much different than many other free agent signings where one guy is supposedly going to make a team unstoppable. Even when the Pats got Moss in '07, let's remember that they already had the best QB in football, and also picked up Welker and Stallworth. That's the only time I've seen a player (Moss) live up to the Madden-like unstoppability that people fantasize about, but it wasn't all Moss either. One final point is that players switching teams as highly sought free agents tend to disappoint more frequently than guys in the same system for their career.

4. Although I realize Asomugha is a great player and would love to have him, his legend is certainly larger than his level of play. Yes, he may be the first or second best cornerback in the league, but this guy has gone from being a great CB to an all-world, immortal first-ballot Hall of Famer. I live in the Bay Area, and he has always been regarded as a great player, just nowhere near what he deified as now. I think his stock has shot through the roof because of the lack of attention and scrutiny, the hard-working player on a bottom feeding team. When he does get beat for a TD, no one notices. He's never been put under a microscope the way a player from NE, NY, Philly, or Dallas is. And by the way, he's 30 years old.

5. Once again, the Jets are one of few bidders on the market. This is their calling card, and then they are hailed as geniuses. Many teams could sign Asomugha by cutting players and restructuring contracts, but at what cost to the overall product they put on the field? Clearly NA has been evaluated by every GM and about 30 of them think the price tag is too high. This is the inherent problem with free agency. The player will always be valued at whatever the HIGHEST bidder thinks his value is, while most of the time his true value is somewhere in the middle. This is why "winning the sweepstakes" is always hailed as a coup at the time it happens, yet the winners always seem to be ultimately disappointed. You don't see teams like the Pats, Colts, or Steelers win many bidding wars for these guys.

Last edited:
I wrote a post earlier somewhere here...look, what's the difference between Cromartie and Nnamdi? Cro's a 9 and Nnamdi a 10?...great...then exactly how does Nnamdi impact the Steelers ramming the ball down the Jets throats in the playoffs? While MISSING one All Pro lineman and another veteran starter on their decimated OL? Tell me, exactly how does Nnamdi, who is 6'2" 210 and the three years YOUNGER Cromartie, who is 6'2" 210 differ so drastically that the Jets would pay this staggering premium...trade 3 years oLDER for what? maybe another tackle in the defensive backfield as a Mendenhall runs amok on the depleted green front seven???

This is supposed to address the Patriots moves this offseason as they drafted two young RB's with different skill sets to go along with their TE's? With Welker running routes underneath Chad Johnson and Deion Branch? Looks like the Jets are all about playing to the audience with big "star!!!" acquisitions that FAIL to make any real football sense at all.

Great post Ice...I think you hit on it pretty well. We'll see what happens but IF the Jets sign Asomugha I don't think it impacts what BB has planned for this season's Patriot offense at all.

Last edited:
hey!...now....stop stealing my material....:D

(ONLY 13????)

The idea it's good for the Patriots is ludicrous in terms of playing the game as it is going to be tough getting the ball wide on them and they can devote more to passrush and run D with 2 shutdown corners. On the other hand I like the idea of the patriots having to deal with a great defense in division because it makes them tougher in the long run and more playoff ready.

Additionally the idea of dedicating so much cap space that far from the ball strikes me as a bad way to spend your big money. We're talking 1/6 of their cap space not just to the defensive backs but just 2 of them. That's a big risk.

I do respect that they are being aggressive and the cap never does bite them in the ass so it seems to be paying off for them, whether these are the right moves or not remains to be seen.

Breer thinks it might happen:

Twitter

Not sure if the $$$ works in the end. But I'll say this -- Nnamdi wants the Jets, and the Jets want Nnamdi.

At this point, I'd say I'm indifferent. The Jets would be done in free agency with a ton of holes left on that team - that leaves them very top heavy.

Sure, they'd have the best corner tandem in the history of the game. But that might not be enough.

He's going... I hate the feeling but I can see this crap happening.

Twitter

At this point, I'd say I'm indifferent. The Jets would be done in free agency with a ton of holes left on that team - that leaves them very top heavy.

Sure, they'd have the best corner tandem in the history of the game. But that might not be enough.

I wish that they would hurry up and get it done. I am tired of hearing about it.

I heard a couple guys on the Jets board mention that Schefter said on ESPN that there is an 80% chance that Aso signs with the Jets. I guess he's still considering the Niners or something, possibly hoping that someone ups their offer.

Aso on the Jets will be a nitemare and spinning it any other way is dumb homer talk.

We can still beat them though, if we don't go into ******o mode in the playoffs for like 3rd post season in a row.

The Jets getting the best FA defensive back is not good for us. The Jets overpaying to fill their area of least need is good for us.

Twitter

You need a history lesson.

You need a history lesson.

I'm happy to have one...but I can't think of a tandem that competes with Aso & Revis OTOH. Not only are they, by far, the best two corners in the game right now, they might be the best two corners in the last couple decades. These guys are doing epic things on the field, and teams won't even throw against them.

Last edited:

Which one is better than Aso + Revis?

**** LeBeau. Haynes & Hayes maybe.

But the rest? I mean, "Deion Sanders and anyone"? Revis & Asomugha are better corners than that one-dimensional player.

These two guys are the only two guys shutting people down in an era where corners are hardly allowed to touch people. It's unheard of.

Granted, Revis gets away with a boatload of contact - but until the refs start calling it, he & Aso are both playing on a level that no other CB in the league is sniffing.

They're both HOF caliber players.

Last edited:
Which one is better than Aso + Revis?

**** LeBeau. Haynes & Hayes maybe.

But the rest? I mean, "Deion Sanders and anyone"? Revis & Asomugha are better corners than that one-dimensional player.

These two guys are the only two guys shutting people down in an era where corners are hardly allowed to touch people. It's unheard of.

Granted, Revis gets away with a boatload of contact - but until the refs start calling it, he & Aso are both playing on a level that no other CB in the league is sniffing.
They're both HOF caliber players.

Idk, I think it's too easy to overreact now and annoint them the best. It's the same reason they require a 5-year (i think 5 years) grace period after a player has played before they can be voted into the HOF.

Last edited:

It's like they aren't even watching him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3