PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante Samuel appreciation thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alk

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
As I have always said, people don't give this guy any credit. I'm just glad he showed up to play today because nobody else in the secondary did. Way to go Asante.

i've never really understood the criticsm..people expected too much from him once Law was gone and im sick of hearing "hes not a #1 CB.." Hes played well..everyone plays bad if theres no pressure (last year). theres plenty room for him to improve and i really hope he comes back next year

I was one of the 30% in the best coverage CB poll to vote for Asante. His man, Chambers, was quiet all day. Welker, Hobbs's guy for the most part, meanwhile had a good game.

He's not a #1 corner. He plays like a nickel back. He takes lots of risks, sometimes getting burned and sometimes getting interceptions and the game ball, as he deserves today.

Call this criticism if you want. If it's criticism, it's the to FO for not getting us a #1 corner. Samuel is fine player. I want us to extend his contract. That doesn't mean I want him to be our #1 corner, or even #2.

Asante played great today! Props to him.

He's not a shut down corner by any means, but he is servicable. He's a #1 corner on plenty of teams out there, lets put it that way. We just got spoiled having #24 over on the left side there for so many years.

I'd like to see him sign a reasonable contract, and eventually give way to a RD 1 or RD 2 corner taken in the draft, or a stud FA corner if there is one available.

I stated last week that while he is by no means a shut down corner, he has been the one consistent that this secondary has had over the last few years, for better or worse. I give him credit and was happy to see him come up with some big plays today

Props to Asante. A lot of people dump on him for loose coverage, but maybe it's the game plan?

He's jumped quite a few routes and he could start getting decent INT numbers.

T.J. Hoosatonic is still convinced nobody covered him.:rolleyes:

The way Asante started, I was a little worried. He gave the WR (Chambers maybe?) a huge cushion and then got juked out of his shoes. He made a nice recovery though.

he had a lot of INTs in PS..got 2 today. looking good with the picks.

almost had a few this year also

RayClay said:
Props to Asante. A lot of people dump on him for loose coverage, but maybe it's the game plan?

He's jumped quite a few routes and he could start getting decent INT numbers.

I agree. Asante seems to have good closing speed, pretty good coverage speed, but not those crazy loose hips that allowed guys like Law to stick to the receiver like glue. Play him off a little , and let him make plays on the ball and accept some of the shorter completions until ( or if) we get a true shutdown corner in there.

lets not forget..Asante can lay the wood on bigger guys than him

Reggie Wayne...Ricky Williams..Jeb Putzier

Last edited:
Did anyone notice who Asante laid the hit on at the end of his first INT run? Yep, it was Harrington. :D

Props to Asante! However it was Hawkins covering over the top that allowed Asante to take the risk on that 1st one. Good to see it starting to come together!

mgteich said:
He's not a #1 corner. He plays like a nickel back. He takes lots of risks, sometimes getting burned and sometimes getting interceptions and the game ball, as he deserves today.

Call this criticism if you want. If it's criticism, it's the to FO for not getting us a #1 corner. Samuel is fine player. I want us to extend his contract. That doesn't mean I want him to be our #1 corner, or even #2.

No, he's much better than you say. Nobody ever called him a #1 corner, and nobody ever expected that. So why ever compare him to that standard?

Except for Law, he's the best corner we've had on this team the past few years. He's quick, he plays tough, he makes plays. Really, what's not to like?

He's generally adequate and had a good game today.

I like Asante - I recently started a thread about how I can never tell how good he is (ie, last season, a weak secondary made everybody look bad).

Asante looked pumped to be able to get his hands on the ball and just run with it. Reminded me of Ty Law back in the day, when getting picked was just half the problem for the opposing O, they had to worry about taking down a real playmaker.

Alk said:
As I have always said, people don't give this guy any credit. I'm just glad he showed up to play today because nobody else in the secondary did. Way to go Asante.

Contrary to popular opinion he is a good, solid corner. Certainly not at Champ Baileys level, but who is? Hobbs was abused by Welker and yet to show he can be a number 1. I would like to see the Pats sign Samuels, then would have a solid base to build from. Add a CB in round 1 and we would have a very good secondary. Ugly win, but we will take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back