PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Asante playing for a contract...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deossie and Burton were taling about Samuel last night on the late sports,they didnt think he would be back re some of the reasons you mentioned....too bad,we need some good db's.

I'll be sorry if he leaves, but they'll offer him a good contract then it's up to him.

If money's the onlything that matters, we'll probably lose him.

I think people would be surprised how much other things matter once you reach a certain, (more than you can spend), plateau.

But he's not in the Seymour, Brady category. He's a high achieving 4th round pick on a team that can spot CB talent in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds at least.

If they're not in the same ball park in negotiation, the Pats will likely look to hit on 2-3 cb/safeties in the draft.

Good for him.

He has 5 more INTS than the rest of the DBs combined.
One more forced fumble
7 more defended passes.

There is no doubt he is our best CB. He made a couple of real nice plays going against one of the top WRs in the game. Great play in the end zone to knock the ball away.

Samuel takes a lot of grief but seems to be getting better and better. He will get paid good money because he deserves it. I hope it is with the Patriots because with the current FAs there is a big dropoff after him and Clements. The secondary will be a lot weaker if he leaves.

the problem is that Samuel is the only decent CB we have. Ordinarily, I'd say "if he wants too much, let him walk". But without him, the CB unit is a nullity. Hobbs who is OK sometime, The street free agent Chad Scott (30+) and reed thin Gay.

If it takes spending too much to field a good team next year, then you have to pay Samuel. It would be different if they had some good CBs in the pipeline from a few years ago, but instead they wasted picks on the likes of Bethel Johnson, Guss Scott, that turd Dexter Reid, etc.

They have an abundance of cap room.

Besides, you could structure "incentive heavy" clauses so that he won't slack off...or he won't get paid.

I like the incentive idea. How about you structure a contract for Samuel that will pay him at least the average CB salary but if his performance merits it would bump his pay to elite CB pay territory? I think Asante has been improving all the time and has become a solid CB that can come up with big plays from time to time but I dunno if he is Ty Law good.

Last edited:
There is no doubt he is our best CB. He made a couple of real nice plays going against one of the top WRs in the game. Great play in the end zone to knock the ball away.

Samuel takes a lot of grief but seems to be getting better and better. He will get paid good money because he deserves it. I hope it is with the Patriots because with the current FAs there is a big dropoff after him and Clements. The secondary will be a lot weaker if he leaves.

Did you notice that the only TD the Lions had was given up by Samuel? He allowed a reciever to beat him to the inside in the end zone in what appeared to be man coverage.

the problem is that Samuel is the only decent CB we have. Ordinarily, I'd say "if he wants too much, let him walk". But without him, the CB unit is a nullity. Hobbs who is OK sometime, The street free agent Chad Scott (30+) and reed thin Gay.

Hobbs has played the majority of the season with a cast. I am sure that has hindered him some. You folks have to look beyond the picks and realize that people are attacking Samuels, I don't think that is happening because he puts fear in the hearts of opposing OC's. They realize that he is gambling a lot this season.

He is playing better than he did last year, but again when both CB's are healthy - Hobbs is the better of the two.

Did you notice that the only TD the Lions had was given up by Samuel? He allowed a reciever to beat him to the inside in the end zone in what appeared to be man coverage.

What is your point?

Name a CB in the league who doesn't get beat.

Is your point that Hobbs is a better CB than Samuel?

Hobbs has played the majority of the season with a cast. I am sure that has hindered him some. You folks have to look beyond the picks and realize that people are attacking Samuels, I don't think that is happening because he puts fear in the hearts of opposing OC's. They realize that he is gambling a lot this season.

He is playing better than he did last year, but again when both CB's are healthy - Hobbs is the better of the two.

I might disagree with that, but only mildly. Asante isn't a superstar now anymore than he was a washout last year.

I wish I could tag these posts like they track wildlife.

Seemed there were thousands of posts that Asante was a bum and Hobbs was great.

Now it's just the opposite. It has to be some of the same people.:confused:

I think we should try to sign Asante, why would we bring someone else. It take sometime to know our system. He is not Deion,he played out his contract.

What is your point?

Name a CB in the league who doesn't get beat.

Is your point that Hobbs is a better CB than Samuel?

Yup, that is my point. Hobbs is better in coverage (when he isn't playing with a broken wrist). It isn't that just that he got beat he let his man run across his face and get inside position before he even reacted. That is a cardinal sin for a DB on a short field.

Last edited:
I might disagree with that, but only mildly. Asante isn't a superstar now anymore than he was a washout last year.

I wish I could tag these posts like they track wildlife.

Seemed there were thousands of posts that Asante was a bum and Hobbs was great.

Now it's just the opposite. It has to be some of the same people.:confused:

I believe I have been consistent on this since the offseason. Samuels is making some big plays, but if he keeps jumping the ball the way he is eventually he will get burned. It doesn't bother me when he has safety help over the top but he does it in man coverage as well and what will be the result if/when he misses?

Yup, that is my point. Hobbs is better in coverage (when he isn't playing with a broken wrist).

Ok, we agree to disagree. I have been impressed with Hobb's ability to play with a wounded limb but don't think he as good as Samuels.

Ok, we agree to disagree. I have been impressed with Hobb's ability to play with a wounded limb but don't think he as good as Samuels.

Fair enough. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft