PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

as per the norm, Peter King makes no sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
For his midseason awards, he gives the QB All Pro to Manning. Which is fine. He's having a great year and can easily be argued as such. But his reasoning is flawed. His his reason: Ho-hum. Throwing to Blair White, Brody Eldridge, Jacob Tamme. Same greatness.

Ok, he still has Reggie Wayne, has had Dallas Clark for all but 1 game and still has had Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon and Anthoney Gonzalez for most or part of the season. In every game this season Manning has had a 3 player combo consisting of Wayne, Garcon, Gonzalez, Collie and/or Clark playing in the game. All players who were have played with Manning for at least 1 full season, if not longer. By Kings reasoning, he makes it sound like White, Eldridge and Tamme are his only options.

Only WR Brady had last year was Welker. Who is coming off knee surgury. All the rest of Bradys options were not with the team last year, or even in the preseason (Woodhead & Branch).

NFL 2010 Midseason All-Pro Team, Awards - Peter King - SI.com

Last edited:
How about Timmons over Mayo?

The jury was out on Mayo and he's proving the doubters wrong (including myself).

you do see that it says Tom Brady MVP right?

For his midseason awards, he gives the QB All Pro to Manning. Which is fine. He's having a great year and can easily be argued as such. But his reasoning is flawed. His his reason: Ho-hum. Throwing to Blair White, Brody Eldridge, Jacob Tamme. Same greatness.

Ok, he still has Reggie Wayne, has had Dallas Clark for all but 1 game and still has had Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon and Anthoney Gonzalez for most or part of the season. In every game this season Manning has had a 3 player combo consisting of Wayne, Garcon, Gonzalez, Collie and/or Clark playing in the game. All players who were have played with Manning for at least 1 full season, if not longer. By Kings reasoning, he makes it sound like White, Eldridge and Tamme are his only options.

Only WR Brady had last year was Welker. Who is coming off knee surgury. All the rest of Bradys options were not with the team last year, or even in the preseason (Woodhead & Branch).

But he has Brady as MVP

Manning will win the MVP again because of his stats.This is a stats driven league.Tom's stats went down once Moss left.He still doesnt have a proven commodity at wr.

How about Timmons over Mayo?

The jury was out on Mayo and he's proving the doubters wrong (including myself).

Timmons is a stud, and I'm sure there are legit arguments to be made. But I particularly liked his reasoning:

Tough call over Ray Lewis, but Timmons' two 15-tackle games stand out.

But Jerod's 16 and 18 tackle days don't? Alrighty then.

Im not argueing over his choice. I think Manning makes sense. I just think his reasoning makes no sense. The Colts have had injuries this year, but the majority of the time Manning has still had several players from previous seasons on the team.

It's a fluff piece. If it meant anything there would be official mid season awards granted by the NFL. I know this is a message board for talking about the Patriots (and god forbid we have more than one thread on the game in two days), but come on, is anyone really worrying that Peter King thinks Manning is better than Brady?

Manning will win the MVP again because of his stats.This is a stats driven league.Tom's stats went down once Moss left.He still doesnt have a proven commodity at wr.

It isn't about having the best stats unless you have a season so overwhelmingly good that they can't vote for anyone else.

What it is nearly always about is being the most media freindly and accessible of the guys who have the really good stats. It is why Manning and not Brees was the 2009 MVP.

Timmons is a stud, and I'm sure there are legit arguments to be made. But I particularly liked his reasoning:

But you have to take into account that the Steelers attack more and it's easier to make plays when opposing teams have to worry about Harrison and Woodley.

Mayo's got Wilfork. In fact, Mayo's in a react scheme and still leads the NFL in tackles. That tells me a lot.

Last edited:
Mayo should be there! 5 of 7 games he has had 10+ tackles!

envy issues ?? He's got Brady listed as MVP.

This is a good opportunity to recognize Mayo once again. The guy's a buzzsaw at the ILB position and getting better every game.

envy issues ?? He's got Brady listed as MVP.

reading comprehension issues? I have claimed, more then once, that I have no problem with is choice, just his reasoning.

Poor Peter King

His Brett Favre blow up doll sprung a leak !

The rationale seems more geared to recognizing the player for the performance of the unit. That's why naming Vince is interesting.

Just do what I do, folks:
Not read Peter the Queen of all Media.
I haven't read him in almost 3 years, and I haven't missed a damn thing.

The biggest slight I see here, Patriots-wise, is Timmons over Mayo. There's no way that you can possibly make a logical argument for Timmons over Mayo. As has been said, Mayo is on pace for an all-time great year in tackles made, and he plays in a passive system that teaches you to sit back and wait for the action to come to you instead of going to the action head-first. Other than that, I don't see much disrespect. He's got Brady as the MVP, Wilfork as an All-Pro DE, Brandon Tate as an All-Pro KR, and Belichick as coach of the year. Not sure what would make you happy here. Perhaps he should litter the entire All-Pro team with Patriots to make any sense at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents