PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Convincing evidence that Brady was the real regular season MVP in 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I don't recall this ever getting posted on here, though maybe it did.

The Associated Press typically votes for the regular season awards. Not only that, but the AP first team all-pro quarterback has been the MVP in nine of the last ten seasons. The Associated Press has long been criticized in multiple sports for having writers who don't understand the game beyond a cursory level. You can get a good laugh at the list right here, and the Cliff's Notes contains the following voters: Ron Borges, Pete Prisco, Chris Mortensen, Peter King, Chris Collinsworth, Chris Berman, and Tony Dungy.

In a much less "news splash" worthy story, Brady was voted to the 2016 First Team All-Pro AND 2016 Offensive Player of the Year by The Sporting News. A n0t-so-commonly-understood fact is that this award is a more reflective poll of the player's value. Why? Because The Sporting News is a poll of the NFL coaches, who understand the game on a level so much deeper than sportswriters that it's a laughable comparison. In addition, TSN released a video proclaiming Brady as the MVP. Maybe some of these hack sports writers should heed the advice of actual coaches who need to gameplan against these players. This is the first time since 2001 that The Sporting News diverged from the Associated Press, although the 2001 vote was very close between teammates Warner and Faulk. In 2016, the votes between the two panels were incredibly divided with big wins both ways.

So why should Brady be MVP over Ryan, despite that Ryan played all 16 games, posted a passer rating five points higher, and led the 7th highest scoring offense in NFL history? That's a little beyond the scope of this post as we have already seen all the arguments. Briefly, here are the major reasons why. A. Brady (11-1) won as many games as Ryan (11-5) despite playing in four less games; (B) piggybacking on the first point, Ryan should not even be a real MVP candidate, as his elite stats don't carry over to his win/loss record because he let many games slip away with game sealing interceptions, (C) Brady had a historic season with 28 TDs against just 2 INTs, whereas Ryan's season was very good but not that impressive in the context of modern quarterbacking, (D) Ryan played most of his games in an air conditioned dome and clearly had better offensive support, and (E) losing Rob Gronkowski would be like Ryan losing Julio Jones; it makes Brady's season even more improbable.

You can argue that Ryan's supporting cast wasn't as good as Brady's, but in the context of history, there have been many QBs who have worked with less than Ryan and won more games in route to an MVP. In the last fourteen years, Ryan is the only quarterback to win less than 12 games and win the award. Brady also won less than 12 games, but he went 11-1, with a winning percentage that puts him firmly above the precedent.

The Sporting News Polling Results

According to TSN website, Brady won the award with 71% of the votes. Among 32 head coaches, that gives Brady 23 out of 32 votes. The actual vote count is not published, though I think it's fair to assume Ryan would get roughly 7 votes of the final 9, considering that is about the split between him and Rodgers across multiple polls. As The Sporting News has 32 panel members versus the AP's 50, we can also weight these votes, and a TSN vote is worth 1.5625, which evens up the count of 50. I am not actually putting more weight on these results due to the fact that coaches votes should be more valuable, which would favor Brady; rather this is just from a pure statistical smoothing standpoint.

(Weighted)
Tom Brady - 36 (23 * 1.5625)
Matt Ryan - 11 (7 * 1.5625)

Associated Press + The Sporting News Combined Polling Results

We do have the exact results of the Associated Press voting, which we can combine with TSN.

Tom Brady - 51 (15 Writers + 36 Weighted Coaches)
Matt Ryan - 40 (29 Writers + 11 Weighted Coaches)

Even without weighting the polls (which they absolutely should be), and if you give Ryan all 9 votes from TSN, both players come out to 38 total votes, with Brady dominating in the more important voting.

ProFootballFocus

You can skip this section if you think PFF is hogwash. Personally, I have noticed their statistics aligning more and more with observation over the last few years, although it has taken awhile to get there. Regardless, PFF is cited on many NFL websites, such as NFL.com, profootball-reference, and Wikipedia, as a legitimate postseason award authority. PFF gave the following awards to Brady, who had the highest QB score in the history of its analytics during a single season: Best Player, Best Passer, Offensive Player of the Year.

Final Tally

Looking at the actual consensus, you can make an argument that Brady should be recognized as the 2016 NFL MVP. Yes, the AP Vote is certainly the most widely accepted, traditional, and cited award, but it is also the weakest in terms of actual analysis and is criticized by insiders for buying into and creating media hype, granting voting privileges to unqualified writers, and always favoring statistically superior players without considering difficulty level. Typically there is no reason to make an argument for a player who didn't win the AP award, but that is because in almost every other season, there has been a consensus among the panels for MVP, Offensive Player of the Year, and First-Team All-Pro Quarterback. 2016 appears to have the most divided voting results ever across multiple polls.

To summarize, here is why Brady is the real 2016 MVP: he won, or was the implied winner, of the trifecta of key awards (All-Pro First Team Quarterback, Offensive Player of the Year, MVP) by both the most important panel, the NFL Head Coaches, with a commanding 71% of the vote, and PFF, wheras Ryan only won those awards with the Associated Press, a less accurate panel.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying. But it is a consolation prize compared to SB MVP. Regular season MVP's rarely ever win super bowls.

No offense at all to the OP, I couldn't care less. He got the trophies that matter most and everyone, including people I knew rooting for ATL, said Ryan was a fraud.

Brady defeated 5 Regular season MVPs on the way to his 5 rings.
Is this a true stat? Not that I'm trying to doubt you, Sign. I just want to know if this is true before I get all excited about it.

Is this a true stat? Not that I'm trying to doubt you, Sign. I just want to know if this is true before I get all excited about it.

Marshall Faulk in 2001
Jamal Lewis in 2003?
Peyton in 2004
Rodgers in 2014?
Matt Ryan in 2016

I'd have to go back and look at the schedule, but I'm not sure.

This is correct if you count both Manning and McNair from 2003.

2001: Warner
2003: McNair, Manning
2004: Manning
2014: (none)
2016: Ryan

Marshall Faulk in 2001
Jamal Lewis in 2003?
Peyton in 2004
Rodgers in 2014?
Matt Ryan in 2016

I'd have to go back and look at the schedule, but I'm not sure.

We lost to Rodgers in 2014.

I really believe Tom doesn't care a jot about regular season mvp. Day after superbowl presser with the commissioner though. Different story.

None of these points - that the award is not important, that the award is not important to Brady, or that the Super Bowl championship/SB MVP are incomparably better - changes the fact that he should have won the regular season MVP in 2016, as evidenced by the polling results.

SB champ.

Nice post. We all know TB doesn't care about awards- just rings. But unlike some others, I think your post is important.

Because as you pointed out, this was a historic season- repeat HISTORIC!! I'll say even MORE than 2007 when you factor in deflategate, 4 game suspension, loss of Gronk and oh,by the way,his age and the GREATEST COMEBACK IN THE HISTORY OF THE FRIGGIN SUPER BOWL!

OK,postseason is not a factor in the award. I still think this was his best season ever. 28-2 in 12 games!

Im also glad you pointed out the discrepancy between the more knowledgeable(coaches) and less knowledgeable and the fact that it was unprecedented in the history of the award that such a clear-cut winner would be screwed. I know some in the media will hold up the 12 vs 16 games as an excuse. But that's pure bs when the 12 is significantly greater than the 16.

The only thing I disagree about is supporting cast. There is NO argument IMO. Ryan easily had the better offensive supporting cast as Brady did not have Gronk. Those Atlanta rbs
are killers, their entire wr corps is great and Julio is the best on the planet.

Regular season MVP hasn't won the Super Bowl since 1999, I believe. I don't really believe in curses, but it seems winning MVP doesn't bode well for the winner's SB chance.

I'm fine with Ryan winning the MVP. He had an extremely impressive season and Brady only played 12 games. They won the most exciting Super Bowl of all-time. Can't you guys ever be happy, just for a minute?

I'm extremely happy. Couldn't BE any happier. I'm sure TB is as well. But this was a major inequity that should be pointed out. I ask you primetime, if it's not pointed out here, on the premier Patriots fans website, where WOULD it get pointed out?

I'm fine with Ryan winning the MVP. He had an extremely impressive season and Brady only played 12 games. They won the most exciting Super Bowl of all-time. Can't you guys ever be happy, just for a minute?

This isn't even necessarily about being a Brady fan boy. I think the actual story is interesting whether you care about the Brady winning the MVP or not. After Ryan won the AP MVP, there was absolutely zero further discussion or analysis. No one would even realize that the 2016 MVP voting broke precedent from many years of similar voting trends between the AP and coaches and was the most split opinion in the history of the award. The idea that the coaches felt so strongly about their choice, which was in contrast to the AP, is something that had never happened before.

As another poster already pointed out in:
01 - defeated Warner
03 - defeated both co-MVPs Manning/McNair
04 - defeated Manning
16 - Defeated Ryan

In 14 it was Rodgers and we obviously did not play him in the playoffs.

Hopefully nowhere, because honestly who gives a ****

So if it were Brady who got the ball washing treatment for his whole career and won five MVPs, while Manning got shafted despite having a higher number of MVP-worthy seasons, no one would care? I doubt that. I think Brady's high number MVPs would be listed gleefully by almost every Patriots fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes