PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armond Armstead signs with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your just referring to how it looks I'm referring to actual function and design of the irresponsibility of the player. If you understood the functions of defensive fronts you'd understand what I'm saying.

And the reason I'm pointing it out is because the statement was made in this thread that Chandler Jones is not a 3-4 DE and that is not true as he player 3-4 RDE in the base defense most of the time.
No, I'm telling you as it is. I'm so glad that on all of Patsfans you're the only person who understands football concepts.

jason pierre-paul had 4.5 sacks his rookie year, and then 16.5 his second...I fully expect jones to have double-digits sacks next year

How many did he have this year? 7?

actually that just makes it harder for OLinemen to get ahold of a DLineman.

Cameran Wake had no problem getting sacks in the CFL.

Wake was a edge player. Armstead played inside where a running start isn't an advantage.

No, I'm telling you as it is. I'm so glad that on all of Patsfans you're the only person who understands football concepts.

Didn't say I was the only one. I'm one of them though and it seems you're not and don't care to be. I do think are defensive scheme is relevant when discussing playing him in certain positions.

Didn't say I was the only one. I'm one of them though and it seems you're not and don't care to be. I do think are defensive scheme is relevant when discussing playing him in certain positions.
The search function is there for you to utilize if you believe this to be true.

The more I read about this kid the more excited I am about signing him. As long as his heart is not an issue (health-wise, not in terms of his character or "drive"), he appears to have serious talent.

Someone else said this already, but here are some players the Pats have essentially picked up for "free" (i.e., not in the draft or by trade) that could potentially be big contributors next year:

Demps
Armstead
Ballard

That's a special teams rocket who could be a big play guy at RB/WR, a potential pass rusher, and a very good TE.

Not a bad haul three months before the draft!!

That's good because they'll be our fourth, fifth & sixth rounders this year. I think all will contribute but I don't know about them being "big contributors". It's possible as all three have the potential. Demps showed great potential in limited time in camp and we know about Ballard. Armstead is the wild card. It'll be great if he can bring the rush, along with Jones, so we don't have to start blitzing, if the rush doesn't come around.

Demps, Ballard, and Armstead are INFINITELY better than anything one would expect from the 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds.

People may cry about the fact that the Pats only have 5 picks this draft season, but the reality is that we don't really need the influx of talent THIS draft. This is a young and dynamic roster. The reboot is over. Now is the time to develop the talent you have and tweak the roster with judicious draft picks. Between the 5 picks, the assorted players coming back off IR like Dowling, Fletcher, Demps, and Ballard, AND the addition of Armstead, means there will 10 players who pretty much had nothing to do with the success of the 2012 team being added to the roster. And that doesn't count the usual crop of vet FA's and UDFA's

That's plenty of new blood and talent to upgrade the 2012 roster. BTW- don't underestimate the UDFA's. When was the last year the Pats DIDN'T wind up with an UDFA making the roster.

Late last college season, Demps was considered a 7th rounder, an Amp Lee type back, so I'm not sure he was all that heralded. We shall see, but I'm not expecting more than returns.

Great signing you gotta love how this organization operates leaving no stone unturned. I see him as a starting DT and Nink staying at LDE. I know Nink has his flaws but you are never going to have 11 studs. At some point you need to accept an average starter at a certain spot and focus on improving areas where the incumbent starter is not average (looking at you Gregory, although I think we'll give Wilson another year). There's a finite amount of resources available and upgrading Nink seems like a poor way to distribute your resources considering the state of the roster.

That's why this is such a great signing though. We just got an extra 1/2 pick added to the roster and his salary is very low. Now we likely won't use any of our high picks or precious cap dollars on DL. It could end up being a key to letting us keep Welker AND Talib.

MayoClinic: you predicted Talib and now this. Can you predict Revis, Fitzgerald and Reed all taking pay cuts to come here, that'd be great. Seriously though nice job.

MayoClinic: you predicted Talib and now this. Can you predict Revis, Fitzgerald and Reed all taking pay cuts to come here, that'd be great. Seriously though nice job.

I wish I could. If I could, though, I'd want someone in the NFL to be paying me.

Seriously though, BB deserves credit because he is constantly "churning" the roster and turning over personnel until he finds guys that fit. We bash the guys who don't work out, but he just moves on and keeps on looking until he finds someone who does. Look at how many times he kept looking at TEs until he found Gronk and Hernandez.

BB tried to get Red Bryant, and failed. He signed Jonathan Fanene, and didn't work out. Armstead may or may not turn out to be the solution, but at least the team is constantly trying to find guys who could fit into key roles and fill in the missing gaps. Same with Talib and the big, physical man DB - Leigh Bodden didn't work out as they had hoped, Dowling may end up being a player or may be a wasted pick, but the FO kept moving on to other options. And if Talib doesn't stay, they'll keep moving on again.

Hopefully this is a 4 year deal.

I'm ecstatic about this. I view Armstead as my #1 "draft target" for the Pats. It's like having two 1st round picks this year. He will be the beast LDE/DT that we lacked this year, another physical presence alongside Wilfork and Jones.

Our defense is already better. I really think this kid could be a slightly lesser version of a Calais Campbell/JJ Watt kind of player. I can't describe how happy I am about this signing.

If you're correct about him being Campbell/Watt like, then this will make the Pats defense head and shoulders better than last year.

I'm not holding my breath for a Revis trade, but, that would be a homerun offseason in itself!

The more I read about this kid the more excited I am about signing him. As long as his heart is not an issue (health-wise, not in terms of his character or "drive"), he appears to have serious talent.

Someone else said this already, but here are some players the Pats have essentially picked up for "free" (i.e., not in the draft or by trade) that could potentially be big contributors next year:

Demps
Armstead
Ballard

That's a special teams rocket who could be a big play guy at RB/WR, a potential pass rusher, and a very good TE.

Not a bad haul three months before the draft!!

The Pats are Kings of the NFL off season and the Boston Braves of the regular season.

The more I watch him, this guy reminds me of a young Shaun Ellis.

The more I watch him, this guy reminds me of a young Shaun Ellis.

Another very good comparison. A guy who could play in 4-3 or 3-4 schemes, who was athletic enough to stand up at times per Eric Mangini, and who could be moved inside to create disruption. And a guy who BB signed in 2011 in the hopes that he could squeeze one more good year out of him. Not a huge sack artists (averaging 6 sacks/year over 12 years, with 2 seasons with over 10 and four with over 8), but very versatile, disruptive and productive. A young Shaun Ellis opposite Chandler Jones would be an amazing pair of bookend DEs.

Again, BB keeps trying to get that big, athletic LDE position filled. Ellis, Bryant, Fanene, now Armstead.

B-O-W-E.

That is all.

Last edited:
It's also worth noting that BB is batting 1.000 (3 for 3) in the last 9 months when it comes to signing highly coveted UDFA/young FA talents:

- May 2012: Pats sign Brandon Bolden, who is coveted by several teams. At one point there were reports that Washington had actually signed Bolden.

- August 2012: Pats sign Jeff Demps, fresh off his Olympic Silver medal, with a number of teams in the hunt.

- Junuary 2013: Pats sign Armond Armstead, again with multiple teams reportedly in the hunt.

Collectively, that's a fair amount of cheap young talent, without a draft pick or trade. It's a good sign that BB is obviously able to convince these guys to sign with the Pats over other teams. Some possible reasons why:

1. The Pats' winning tradition, and the fact that players believe that they will be playing for a contending team.

2. BB's track record of giving guys a chance no matter where they are drafted or signed, so that players feel that they have a fair chance to prove themselves and earn playing time.

3. The fact that the Pats have openly showed interest in some of these players over a long period. The Pats were among the teams most rumored to be interested in Demps before he dropped out of the 2012 draft to pursue the Olympics. They were also one of the teams that looked closely into Armstead last Spring.

4. BB's reputation as being honest and a straight shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe