PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armond Armstead signs with Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Armstead gets $655k guaranteed - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

"Armstead's pact is a three-year deal, with base salaries of $405,000 in 2013, $495,000 in 2014, $585,000 in 2015.

The entire $405,000 base salary in 2013 is guaranteed, while $250,000 of the base salary in 2014 is guaranteed."

This is really great news. First, the team has Armstead's rights for 3 years. Second, they have him at very low cost. Third, they've invested enough in him to show that they have some confidence that he will be a part of the team.

From my point of view, Armstead "completes" the Jonathan Fanene deal, at minimal additional cost. If the Pats can somehow recoup any of Fanene's money (unlikely), that may pay for Armstead, so that the "dead money" tied up in Fanene would actually go towards the position which Fanene was intended to fill.

The Armstead signing is also indicative of how BB is constanting "churning" the roster to fill a positional need. If one player doesn't work out, he tries again. Look at how he kept doing it with the TEs until he hit big time with Gronk and Hernandez. He tried to get Bryant, then he tried with Fanene. Now he's trying with Armstead, who may or may not be the answer, but who is young, and with a lot of upside, at a very reasonable investment. Good risk/reward move that could pay big time dividends if the kid works out. And if he does work out, the Pats could just possibly be set up for the long term with bookend end players in Jones and Armstead, depending on how they develop and position him.

This is really great news. First, the team has Armstead's rights for 3 years. Second, they have him at very low cost. Third, they've invested enough in him to show that they have some confidence that he will be a part of the team.

From my point of view, Armstead "completes" the Jonathan Fanene deal, at minimal additional cost. If the Pats can somehow recoup any of Fanene's money (unlikely), that may pay for Armstead, so that the "dead money" tied up in Fanene would actually go towards the position which Fanene was intended to fill.

The Armstead signing is also indicative of how BB is constanting "churning" the roster to fill a positional need. If one player doesn't work out, he tries again. Look at how he kept doing it with the TEs until he hit big time with Gronk and Hernandez. He tried to get Bryant, then he tried with Fanene. Now he's trying with Armstead, who may or may not be the answer, but who is young, and with a lot of upside, at a very reasonable investment. Good risk/reward move that could pay big time dividends if the kid works out. And if he does work out, the Pats could just possibly be set up for the long term with bookend end players in Jones and Armstead, depending on how they develop and position him.
If and I say a big if Armstead works out, the Patriots defensive line is one beast tackle away from being excellent in a 4 man front. This also depends on whether or not you plan on playing Rob Ninkovich.

Armstead <insert tackle> Wilfork Jones

There's still a need to upgrade tackle IMO. The pocket needs to be collapsed straight back into the QB's face in this day and age.

That deal is nothing short of highway robbery. I fully expected that a team would at least offer a contract equivalent to a late first/early second round draft selection.

Ras-I Dowling's contract comes to mind.

Ras-I Dowling

That deal is nothing short of highway robbery. I fully expected that a team would at least offer a contract equivalent to a late first/early second round draft selection.

Ras-I Dowling's contract comes to mind.

Ras-I Dowling

That was what I expected too, or at least something between what Dowling got and what Tavon Wilson got. I was shocked at how cheaply they got Armstead. But they have his rights for 3 years, and most importantly, for peanuts during the next 2 years when the cap is flat. That's brilliant. If he works out, in 2 years they can renegotiate a long term deal.

This also depends on whether or not you plan on playing Rob Ninkovich.

There's still a need to upgrade tackle IMO. The pocket needs to be collapsed straight back into the QB's face in this day and age.
What's with all the negativity towards Ninkovich?

Left to right as viewed from a defensive prospective:

Ninkovich - Wilfork - Armstead - Jones

Now, if Myron Pryor could ever stay healthy and contribute as a third down interior pass rusher.

If and I say a big if Armstead works out, the Patriots defensive line is one beast tackle away from being excellent in a 4 man front. This also depends on whether or not you plan on playing Rob Ninkovich.

The Pats have 3 very good linebackers in Mayo, Hightower and Spikes, and should get Fletcher back, which will make them better. Hightower should improve. Armstead may also allow them to use Rob Ninkovich at both DE and OLB. So they will be fairly strong in the LB department. They could use one guy with a bit more speed and coverage ability, but otherwise they are very good in that area.

If the Pats re-sign Talib they will have 3 very good starting DBs in Talib, Dennard and McCourty. Dennard should improve. Dowling will be back and will hopefully provide depth. Wilson should improve. If we can re-sign Arringotn, he's good in the slot. Assuming we re-sign the key guys we're one good, physical safety and possible one big outside CB (depending on whether or not Dowling develops and can stay healthy as a #3 CB) from having a very solid secondary.

If Armstead develops, the Pats will have 3 impact linemen in Wilfork, Jones and Armstead. Ninkovich is a situational playmaker. Francis, Cunningham, Love, Deaderick and Pryor/Forston are quality depth and role players. Bequette is a question mark. We would still be one quality DT away from a dominant DL.

But the defense is slowly moving towards having tremendous depth and impact players at all 3 levels.

Now, if Myron Pryor could ever stay healthy and contribute as a third down interior pass rusher.

Personally, I'm not negative about Ninkovich at all, and I think he'll continue to get a lot of snaps and make a lot of plays. And in 3rd down and sub situations I think that the line you propose makes a lot of sense.

But I also think that Armstead is an edge player in a base defense, not a tackle, and that he provides much more than Ninkovich in terms of his ability to set the edge, clog the passing lanes, and generate outside pressure at the same time. That line would look like:

Armstead - Wilfork - X - Jones

Right now X is Kyle Love, who is very solid, but not an impact playmaker. Upgrade Love to an impact playmaker, and the DL suddenly becomes really nasty.

I'm a fan of Ninkovich but there's a need for an end who can stuff the run. I see him as more of a situational pass rusher than a 3 down player. That's not to say Ninkovich hasn't become a good player, because he has.

That was what I expected too, or at least something between what Dowling got and what Tavon Wilson got. I was shocked at how cheaply they got Armstead. But they have his rights for 3 years, and most importantly, for peanuts during the next 2 years when the cap is flat. That's brilliant. If he works out, in 2 years they can renegotiate a long term deal.

For comparison's sake, Cameron Wake got a 4yr deal, $1m bonus and potential to $4.9m. His last year before the extension was to make $615k. Keep in mind he also went undrafted but also tore it up in the CFL over 2 years.

My point is that he established his value over a 2 year period while Armstead has only played one in the CFL. Plus hes an edge pass rusher- which are a premium.

Maybe he deserved a little more but after missing a year of college, going undrafted, having health concerns, sitting out a year, playing a year in AAA he didn't do that badly.

If I understand it correctly, the CBA basically says that undrafted rookie free agents must be signed to three-year deals, and that really the only leverage teams have at this point is the ability to offer small signing bonuses, and/or guarantee salaries.

Unless he plays to the point where a team would give up a first round pick for him, the Pats have him for a 4th year as well, thanks to restricted free agency.

(If he lasts that long, of course)

Maybe he deserved a little more but after missing a year of college, going undrafted, having health concerns, sitting out a year, playing a year in AAA he didn't do that badly.

"AAA"!! Nicely put!!
jester.gif

"AAA"!! Nicely put!!
jester.gif

Yea I look at the SEC as AA. If you are really good, you make the jump and pass AAA altogether. If you get hurt or need a little more seasoning, you go to AAA. :p

Personally, I'm not negative about Ninkovich at all, and I think he'll continue to get a lot of snaps and make a lot of plays. And in 3rd down and sub situations I think that the line you propose makes a lot of sense.

But I also think that Armstead is an edge player in a base defense, not a tackle, and that he provides much more than Ninkovich in terms of his ability to set the edge, clog the passing lanes, and generate outside pressure at the same time. That line would look like:

Armstead - Wilfork - X - Jones

Right now X is Kyle Love, who is very solid, but not an impact playmaker. Upgrade Love to an impact playmaker, and the DL suddenly becomes really nasty.

The Patriots run a 3-4 under/over.

Jack LB - Ninkovich
LDE - Armstead
NT - Wilfork
RDE - Jones

It might look like 4-3 front but its not. The principles are a 2 gap 3-4.

People negative about Nink don't understand his actual position. Nink was not are LE he was are Jack LB. And he had a great year doing so.

People negative about Nink don't understand his actual position. Nink was not are LE he was are Jack LB. And he had a great year doing so.

Hey man, are you saying we don't know JACK??? :D:D:D:D

The Patriots run a 3-4 under/over.

Jack LB - Ninkovich
LDE - Armstead
NT - Wilfork
RDE - Jones

It might look like 4-3 front but its not. The principles are a 2 gap 3-4.

I understand that that is one of the things that they run. They don't exclusively run only one front, nor does Ninkovich stand up that much. And they could benefit from running more of a pure 4 man jumbo base at times.

I'm sure we'll see lots of what you describe. I'm not down on Nink a lot, I expect him to remain a key part of the defense and an impact playmaker. But I expect that the defense will use multiple fronts and schemes, and the more versatile the personnel, the better.

I understand that that is one of the things that they run. They don't exclusively run only one front, nor does Ninkovich stand up that much. And they could benefit from running more of a pure 4 man jumbo base at times.

I'm sure we'll see lots of what you describe. I'm not down on Nink a lot, I expect him to remain a key part of the defense and an impact playmaker. But I expect that the defense will use multiple fronts and schemes, and the more versatile the personnel, the better.

The Jack LB will put his hand down in the dirt or stand up the concept is confusion. And you're right we do play different fronts like a 3-4 Under, 3-4 Over, 3-4 Over Stack and 3-4 Odd.

Here is our Red Bryant. At a much better price. Screw the futures contract, lets just lock him up for a few years now. I've been drooling over this guy in the draft forum.

Damn, I'm good. :D

Damn, I'm good. :D
Didn't really matter. Exclusive right free agency and restricted free agency would've kept him around for four years either way ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes