PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Armond Armstead, expectations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leemo

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
A lot of people are saying we need some interior pass rush etc.... people may have forgot about Armstead? What are you all expecting from him?

Day 1 starter next to Vince?
Solid rotational guy?
Cut?

im hopeing for good dept maybe a 3rd down pass rusher

Starting next to Vince by Week 6. Finish the year with 4 sacks.

A lot of people are saying we need some interior pass rush etc.... people may have forgot about Armstead? What are you all expecting from him?

Solid rotational guy?
Cut?

He's a split rotation guy, if he develops into something more then he will see more reps and opportunities.

In this defense the concept of starter and rotational guy are not mutually exclusive... there is no difference.

A key role from day 1, at LEAST 5 sacks and 5 tipped passes.

Expecting a minor impact, if any. Not going to get excited about this.

(more than hoping i'm surprised)

I'd be extremely happy if he can be half of Cameron Wake.

I think the kid's gonna work hard because he knows this is the chance he never got before. He's going to want to make the most of it, and he'll contribute, but I doubt he'll be a big factor in the early part of the season. He needs to get acclimated to the NFL game.

So going back to basics, you guys see him at a DT more than a DE ? With his size he could be either one. I think we need a DT and a DE in the draft so I've been wondering where he'd end up. I also saw him as a DT and was focused more on a pass rushing DE in the draft than a stout DT.

This is a great question, but I haven't a clue what to expect. I hope he becomes a significant playmaker, and takes some of the pressure off of Wilfork on passing downs. Or allows us to rest the big guy altogether then. It would be great to reduce Wilfork's plays this year without harming team performance.

Situational pass rusher. I don't see him getting too many snaps on early downs, at least early in the season, but he should be a solid rotational guy in passing situations.

Right now, I'm only expecting a rotational guy lining up next to Wilfork on obvious passing situations to provide a better interior pass rush. If he develops into anything more than that, it's a pleasant surprise. Right now, I think we still need to improve at DT, but it's not as dire as it was before Armstead was signed.

I hope he makes the team

WOuld not be surprised if he gets cut in training camp.

I expect him to be a rotation guy until he gets his feet wet. I hope he gives us the pass rush up the gut next to big V.....then all hell will break loose on the opposing QB. He definitely has the size...and from videos ...is very mobile/athletic. When we add Abraham, we are going to have a good rotation of outside DE....that will allow our DL to colapse the pocket fast....thats my hope :)

By the end of the year, I envision Armstead being a key cog in the defensive line rotation.

Solid rotational guy?
Cut?

I think he play a lot of snaps starting at LDE in the base and moving inside to DT in sub packages. I don't think he will have a lot of glamor stats 25-30 tackles 3-4 sacks total. But he will provide a full time presence and impact other aspects of the game.

He is like a late first round draft pick. Lots of reasons to be excited but there is a risk he doesn't do much.

Seems to be some pretty high expectations for this kid.

My opinion is that we should be looking at him more like we would a 3rd or 4th rounder. Maybe a 3rd rounder with an interesting story for why he dropped. A guy that immediately comes to mind for me not the same position is Cannon(though he was drafted even lower).
The jury is still very much out on Cannon but I think if Armstead can come in find some sort of role even a backup on that DL than he might get a chance to show what he has and maybe, like it looks like Cannon might be, replace a starter in a year or two if successful in his back up role.

The one difference to Cannon he is not still recovering so he does have a chance to come on and be more successful immediately. Given a chance I think both can be good starters in this league but he needs to be given time like Cannon to prove it and develope it like you would give any mid rounder despite there supposed "first round grades if not for medical".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Back