Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Are you happy with this years patritos draft class.

• No. We should have taken (name the player(s))

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so excited about these guys I am literally peeing myself.

which brought my happiness level down a couple notches.

I'm very satisfied with year's draft class, especially after the second day. Picking up Hernandez on the third day was especially great. I, like many, was shocked to see the McCourty pick at 27 but after my blood pressure went down I came to realize that it made a lot of sense.

One point I came to think about was BB's other WTF picks in early rounds and saw how they panned out. Logan Mankins, Richard Seymour, and Sebastian Vollmer stick out. It seems that when BB "reaches" (according to those "analysts") in the first two rounds, the players greatly surprise and exceed expectations.

I'm happy with it,like all drafts the proof of its success will probably not come until well into the new season...

I love the Spikes pick, I think he'll win the starting job in the 1st week of camp. He will be great against the power run teams we play this season. Guyton can play against the Colts and 3rd down.

Also Hernandez seems like a steal in the 4th.

Like most fans I thought that a pass rusher was a higher priority than CB, but at least they were addressing the pass D.

You know what... I wasn't happy with it so much initally, but now that it's had time to sink in, I am loving it. We grabbed a corner right before they flew off the board. We have lacked that shut down corner and hopefully McCourty is that guy. I feel if Cunningham produces then this draft was gold. We acquired a couple of the best TE's in the draft and grabbed another WR to toss into the rotation. We got a couple late round guys that can produce and also got another 2nd round pick next year. Gotta love Bill.

You know what... I wasn't happy with it so much initally, but now that it's had time to sink in, I am loving it. We grabbed a corner right before they flew off the board. We have lacked that shut down corner and hopefully McCourty is that guy. I feel if Cunningham produces then this draft was gold. We acquired a couple of the best TE's in the draft and grabbed another WR to toss into the rotation. We got a couple late round guys that can produce and also got another 2nd round pick next year. Gotta love Bill.

Exactly how I felt. McCourty does not have to be a shut down but just a solid CB and I'll be happy. And there were some players that I might have preferred.

But once the draft was over and I would see it in total, I just said "wow".

I'm really happy with this year's draft, but then, I'm an optimist and I don't know enough about draft prospects to have had my own opinions regarding who to take. I do know, however, places where I'd like to see improvement on the team and I'm fairly confident they've been addressed... we'll just have to see how well on the field.

When you also consider the players from last year's draft who didn't see much or any playing time (I know that's outside the specific scope of the question...): Tate and McKenzie who were injured (and Crable who's been "red-shirted" for 2 years) and guys like Brace who are question marks, there could be a HUGE influx of fresh, new talent.

Absolutely happy! I agree I liked what I read about Demaryous Thomas, S Kindle and even R Sapp and thought they'd be good fits. But let's face it, who knows better than Coach Belichick who will fit best at what he'll be asked to do. I'd be disappointed if we drafted 4 OL with first 4 picks or something but we hardly did that....

They needed defense upgrade and got the pass rusher that Belichick liked. Although Guyton played relatively well and McKenzie is promising your player, they added an inside "thumper" (Spikes). They also added a physical, talented, versatile corner to throw into mix with a speedy yound group (plus a veteran or two).

Offensively, we needed a TE and a receiver and we more than covered those bases by drafting a complete TE early (Gronk) and a pass catching TE (Hernandez) who can line up on the line or split wide. Throw in a speedy, tall rookie WR (T Price), a very talented 1st year player (B Tate), a couple veterans to make sure they learn the Patriot way and I'd say all we have left to do is re-up Moss for 2-3 more years.

We have effectively gone through a "rebuilding process" or switching to a talented YOUNG team while consistently WINNING. Now we are stocked and primed to be the TEAM OF THE NEXT DECADE.

Gronk is made of glass!

Just kidding.... AWESOME DRAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm happy with it. I would have liked a RB though.

We drafted 2 TE's and another receiver to add to the receiver (Holt) and TE (Crumpler) that we already signed. I don't think we'll be running more than 20 carries a game total.

I love this draft and I still think we sign a vet DE and a vet OLB that will be cut from another camp come summer.

Last edited:
My NEP draft analysis:

Value of picks when chosen(not WHO picked):

Cant be anything else than A maybe A+: Rational
Anytime you go into the draft having 1 first round, 3 second rounders and 1 fourth (no third or fifth)-
To come out having selected a first rounder and 3 second rounders AND a fifth rounder AND moving up in fourth round AND two third rounders (one of which traded to next years 2nd round). That is nothing less than being a magician or pickpocket or whatever you want to call it (changing water into wine). Very business savvy yielding fantastic value .

Players picked: B+ - A- (have to wait a year before can give it anything higher)
I read many of the reports and it looks good. Only 1 was a personal binky so obviously was alittle disappointed my favs not chosen. Still many of those drafted were at positions of need PLUS SIX of the top 100 players (Gosselin)chosen and also the best punter – that was a real steal to get so much top 100 talent. Is the team done building? No but it certainly is a lot better off at many positions than it was last week at this time.

I'm happy now, but what do I know? The important question is in 3 years will I still be happy?, I'll let you know in 3 years.

I am surrpised that 'yes very happy' is dominating in this poll when the guys that Belichick took were not really popular selections in the mock drafts I read on here.

Now if you were looking for extra picks into next year and the cagey moves that were done I would say thats right but otherwise I think the #2 or #3 selection in the poll is more apt to the way the draft went and to which players most selected here went elsewhere.

I'm happy now, but what do I know? The important question is in 3 years will I still be happy?, I'll let you know in 3 years.

I dont' know about three years from now, but next year, we have two 1st rounders and two 2nd rounders, and ... :rocker: .... that is cause for joy.

I am surrpised that 'yes very happy' is dominating in this poll when the guys that Belichick took were not really popular selections in the mock drafts I read on here.

Now if you were looking for extra picks into next year and the cagey moves that were done I would say thats right but otherwise I think the #2 or #3 selection in the poll is more apt to the way the draft went and to which players most selected here went elsewhere.

Well that might be the case if drafting successfully was a popularity contest and most rational folks didn't actually realize that Belichick is in a slightly better place to make individual and even positional needs selections/projections than most of this fan base...let alone to gauge value.

People get too invested in the guessing games and their own or other fans or mediots opinions. And most fans are inclined to be overly influenced by hype or lack thereof and generic projections whereas the most successful pros can't succomb to those influences. They have to remain disciplined and almost clinical (not to mention unemotional) in their assessment of both their team as it presently exists as well as a prospect based on their system and scheme and grading/value assessment as well as needs.

I'm thrilled with it.

McCourty was my pick on draft day. I love Spikes, trust in Bill for Cunningham as the conversions are tough to rank. The TE were ridiculous value if they can stay on the field. Price is interesting and some of the later linemen, especially Larson and Deaderick intrigue me too.

I like some of the picks because I've seen the kids play...like Spikes...I'll be very surprised if Spikes busts...I spent some time post draft going over the Gronk's body of work. I can't see how he CANNOT be a contributor right away...assuming all is well physically....and THAT is something I just don't know about yet.

The rest of the picks???...you got me...they could be great or they could suck...you just never know when a kid jumps to this level what the response is going to be. I don't see any Gholston types among BB's picks though...so I feel pretty good about this draft.

Last edited:
I like this draft a lot, they drafted a lot of very good football players who are also comfortable with a leadership role ( 6 were team captains I believe).. would have liked to see another RB.. but overall very pleased with what they did, really liked the comments of Takeo Spikes about our Spikes and Cunningham..

Read somewhere that Spikes can be compared to Pepper Johnson, not a bad comparison..

Love the Mesko pick, 6'4" 240 lbs... and a left footed kicker, he is another guy who will add a new dimension to this team.. it was our luxury that we could pick him in the 5th round..

McCourty was an unknown, but the more I hear the more I like, particularly his work ethic and toughness..

Hernandez is a real find, and he may be a 3rd receiver in the NFL..

It is not as sexy as the Jets or Dolphins, but if you look at the best teams(Saints, Colts, Steelers), they did not do the shiny beads thing.. last year the two teams in the SB did not sign any significant FA's...

Tate and McKenzie may be able to contribute as well, hopefully their injuries were not a harbinger of things to come..

All is good, cannot wait to hear the reports out of Foxboro this weekend after Rookie Camp..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft