PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are we all set at OL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know Grubbs, but unless he's a future Pro Bowler, I'd be disappointed if they use any Day 1 pick on the OL at the expense of a DB, LB, WR or even DL or RB. All five starters are back plus O'Cal, Hochstein, Yates and even Mrucz.

OTOH, it never surprises me to see BB add someone in FA at the veteran minimum. Low cost insurance for injuries.

i think grubbs is an option, but i dont think they'll take a guard that early in the draft, unless someone completly unexpected falls to them or they feel he is the best on the board. neal is 30 and i think his contract is up in 2009, so a guard could be drafted to be groomed as his replacement

I would say that OLinemen are no more likely to get put on IR than any other position. So it would be nice to have 5 or 6 vets as backups but it aint happening. I say we have more pressing "insurance needs" considering both our projected starting safeties combined \have missed 3/4ths of the last two years. I do not think Hawkins is an adequate backup. I do not think Alexander was an adequate backup for Seau/TBC so the point.

How is Joe Andruzzi doing in Cleveland?. People dont realize that he started every game during the 3 super bowl runs - a big contributer to Dillon's 1600 yd season.

I don't disagree. We don't need extra OL today on the roster, but BB has a history of picking up vets for camp. If they make it, fine. If not, cut them on Labor Day to get down to the 53. Hochstein, Ashworth, and Andruzzi were all retreads when the Pats first grabbed them.

The Pats will draft an OL on Day 2. They do it every year. Scarnecia is good at developing OL. He needs some students on the PS to learn and improve.

We should be all set with the big uglies. But, if there is a chance to upgrade LT or RT with the right player at the right price/pick, then we should.

exactly
the tackles did not perform very well last yr
why settle for good?
we always want excellent at other positions

I really liked what I saw of Ryan O'Callahan last year, until his neck met Brian Urlacher's chest. I'm hoping for a full recovery by TC.

Kaczur played well at LT in 2005, but never looked comfortable at RT in 2006. Here's hoping for another full recovery by 2007.

I also thought that Wesley Britt played very well at RT vs. the Bungles.

The interior line appears in capable hands - Koppen, Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, Yates - especially if Mruc is released, the sooner the better.

I'm still waiting for our LT of the Future...

O-line seems to be the position that the posters of this forum have overrated the most in recent years. Very good at pass blocking, never good enough at run blocking. Overall grade: average to average+. Maybe this means that if we draft an offensive lineman, it'll be in the first round!

I really liked what I saw of Ryan O'Callahan last year, until his neck met Brian Urlacher's chest. I'm hoping for a full recovery by TC.

Kaczur played well at LT in 2005, but never looked comfortable at RT in 2006. Here's hoping for another full recovery by 2007.

I also thought that Wesley Britt played very well at RT vs. the Bungles.

The interior line appears in capable hands - Koppen, Mankins, Neal, Hochstein, Yates - especially if Mruc is released, the sooner the better.

I'm still waiting for our LT of the Future...

I agree with this post. O'Callaghan will be a servicable if not above average RT. If he doesn't work, we have Britt and Kaczur, who have shown flashes as well. As for depth, I believe we can pick up someone in a later round (second day), or even a UDFA. There is a post in the Draft forum saying we should take a OT in the first round, which I cannot agree with at all.

I agree with this post. O'Callaghan will be a servicable if not above average RT. If he doesn't work, we have Britt and Kaczur, who have shown flashes as well. As for depth, I believe we can pick up someone in a later round (second day), or even a UDFA. There is a post in the Draft forum saying we should take a OT in the first round, which I cannot agree with at all.

Maybe not first round, but OL guys, ugly as they are, literally "pave the way" for whoever is running the ball. A good enough line can open holes almost anyone can run through. The Pats OL now is average -- look at the rushing stats last year; remember the last game of the season: one more first down and .... (sigh).

I think: D back; OL; WR; RB. For RB we need a plough-horse. Not a turtle, but somebody similar to a *younger* Dillon who can hit the line with authority. Dillon's power was always down-field where he punished DBs, but we need a guy who can hit the hole with a heavy punch. Good for 3 to 5 yards or so. Can get the critical short-yardage. Is Evans the answer??

//

You can never have anough quality depth on the OL, but I think the pats will go after bigger needs LB, CB and S. If an OL they value highly falls to them at 24 and 28 who they really believe can benefit them, then they might change their mind. Gotta protect Brady and keep the running game going.

To use a baseball analogy, the Pats have an OL that is stocked with solid #2 and #3 starters; if a potential ace should show up in the draft, I'd be delighted if they grabbed him. Most of those guys are gone before pick 15 though, so its hard to get.

I;m surprised nobody seems to have more doubts about the tackle position.
It would'nt break my heart to see a day 1 pick spent on o-line, tackle in particular. Of course depends on who's available. Brady got beat up a little too much last year.

I have always said you should never have a draft that doesnt include at least one OL.
I like our line, and I think starters at LT-RG are set in stone for the next few years. O'C didn't play enough for me to really judge him fully yet, but between him and Kaczur Im not worried about the RT spot.
As far as depth, I do have concerns. Light, Kaczur, OC are 3 of the Ts. We need a 4th. I guess it could be Britt, but last year we found a 5th rounder who started on opening day, so surely somewhere in the draft we can improve T depth. (Also our system allows us move guys between T and G).
Inside for depth Hochstein is a solid backup, but will need to be replaced in the coming years. Yates' 3 year deal says the staff appears to like him, but I see the need for another interior guy as well.
I dont think we are talking 1st on 2nd round here, but if there is value at OL when the Pats are on the clock, BB will definitely upgrade the unit and its depth.

exactly
the tackles did not perform very well last yr
why settle for good?
we always want excellent at other positions

No Belichcik does not. He knows that he can't afford excellence everywhere under the CAP environment. He wants good everywhere, good depth everywhere, and excellence in only certain positions.

The main question with regard to the Pats offensive line is whether

Britt, Mruczkowski, or Yates fills the eighth and last offensive line

position.

This year the Pats will concentrate on defense in the draft but they

could add a running back, wide receiver, and offensive lineman on day #2.

No Belichcik does not. He knows that he can't afford excellence everywhere under the CAP environment. He wants good everywhere, good depth everywhere, and excellence in only certain positions.

actually belichick does
but he wants them right before they come excellent
so he can have them cheaper than theyre worth
saying he doesnt want excellent everywhere is pretty ignorant

Sure seems like it right now. However, the Pats aren't stupid like the Bills, Browns and Cowboys throwing boat loads of money for O-lineman in FA. The Pats are much smarter and will draft an O-lineman somewhere in the middle rounds. It has been proven the best way to build an O-line. Has anyone noticed that 4 out of the 5 guys on the Pats O-line were their own draft picks? That's pretty good if you ask me.

Last edited:
nice post. I wouldn't mind Staley from Central Michigan to put in the o'callagan/kazur rotation.

actually belichick does
but he wants them right before they come excellent
so he can have them cheaper than theyre worth
saying he doesnt want excellent everywhere is pretty ignorant

Whether or not he WANTS excellent is irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure BB is intelligent enough to know you can only be excellent at a handful of positions, so you have to prioritize based on your conception of what is most important.

To answer the question, I wouldn't want anything higher than a 5th spent on OL. Needs are more pressing elsewhere. Don't forget about Dan Stevenson from Notre Dame, who IIRC is on the PS.

Last edited:
Whether or not he WANTS excellent is irrelevant.

I'm pretty sure BB is intelligent enough to know you can only be excellent at a handful of positions, so you have to prioritize based on your conception of what is most important.

To answer the question, I wouldn't want anything higher than a 5th spent on OL. Needs are more pressing elsewhere. Don't forget about Dan Stevenson from Notre Dame, who IIRC is on the PS.

so, getting mankins wasnt a guy that bb thought could be excellent, while paying him his rookie contract?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back