PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are the Jets helping the Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
???

Nobody's talking about Brady in his first or second year starting versus Sanchez in his first two years; that's irrelevant. His comment was in regards to how well Sanchez can be expected to play this year in colder weather. He did have a lot of mediocre to just plain bad games once the weather got cold last year; would you dispute that?

But for the record, in Brady's first year as a starter the Pats started out 5-5, but ended up winning the Super Bowl. I think he was adequate in cold weather early in his career.

One of the greatest games ever played was started by him in a blizzard, no less.

I know he played terrible in his first cold weather game vs Buffalo. 5 interceptions. But, was that a byproduct of the cold or him being a rookie?
What about the Playoff game vs Bengals last year? I'm not going to even count the reg Season game vs Bengals last year. Are we talking about every home game after late November? How was the temperature during the 4 turnover debacle in New England last year. But what constitutes a cold weather game in your opinion?

Whatever the answer is...there is too small a sample to evaluate Mark Sanchez in cold weather games. He's only started in 29 games total, including playoffs. 16 of those were on the road. I know one thing, he's playing better than Tom Brady did during his 2nd year.
Yes, it is a small sample size.

Yes, Sanchez did have a very good game against the Bengals.

What about the rest though; does one good game give you more confidence than the other games?

A at NEP 11/22: 8/21 (38%), 1 TD, 4 Int, 1 Fum, 136 yards, 37.1 QBR
H vs Car 11/29: 13/17 (76%), 0 TD, 1 Int, 154 yards, 79.0 QBR
A at Buf 12/03: 7/15 (48%), 1 TD, 0 Int, 104 yards, 92.1 QBR
H vs Atl 12/20: 18/32 (56%), 1 TD, 3 Int, 226 yards, 49.7 QBR
H vs Cin 01/03: 8/16 (50%), 0 TD, 0 Int, 63 yards, 60.2 QBR
A at Cin 01/09: 12/15 (80%), 1 TD, 0 Int, 182 yards, 139.4 QBR

A 4-3 record in those games. Other than the one playoff game, not exactly lighting it up. If I was a Jet fan, I think it would be something to consider and perhaps be concerned with. Yes it is a small sample size, but so far that small sample size doesn't look all that great when playing outdoors late in the season.

Last edited:
Yes, it is a small sample size.

Yes, Sanchez did have a very good game against the Bengals.

What about the rest though; does one good game give you more confidence than the other games?

A at NEP 11/22: 8/21 (38%), 1 TD, 4 Int, 1 Fum, 136 yards, 37.1 QBR
H vs Car 11/29: 13/17 (76%), 0 TD, 1 Int, 154 yards, 79.0 QBR
A at Buf 12/03: 7/15 (48%), 1 TD, 0 Int, 104 yards, 92.1 QBR
H vs Atl 12/20: 18/32 (56%), 1 TD, 3 Int, 226 yards, 49.7 QBR
H vs Cin 01/03: 8/16 (50%), 0 TD, 0 Int, 63 yards, 60.2 QBR
A at Cin 01/09: 12/15 (80%), 1 TD, 0 Int, 182 yards, 139.4 QBR

A 4-3 record in those games. Other than the one playoff game, not exactly lighting it up. If I was a Jet fan, I think it would be something to consider and perhaps be concerned with. Yes it is a small sample size, but so far that small sample size doesn't look all that great when playing outdoors late in the season.

That Buffalo game was played in a dome in Toronto last season, so you can count that one out. That makes him 3-3 in cold weather games. But is that a byproduct of him being a rookie making rookie mistakes or because of the cold weather? Lets give him until the end of this season, then we can judge him a little better. I can see if he sat his rookie year and those games were his 2nd year in the NFL ***coughTomBradycough*** , then we would judge him accordingly. Let's see how this year plays out.

The only people the Jets are helping are the Jets. They are not in the business of doing favors for NE. Last year they made Kevin O'connor a captain. Last week they signed Crable to the PS. Be prepared to see Crable activated after Thanksgiving and made Captain for the Monday night game.

That Buffalo game was played in a dome in Toronto last season, so you can count that one out. That makes him 3-3 in cold weather games. But is that a byproduct of him being a rookie making rookie mistakes or because of the cold weather? Lets give him until the end of this season, then we can judge him a little better. I can see if he sat his rookie year and those games were his 2nd year in the NFL ***coughTomBradycough*** , then we would judge him accordingly. Let's see how this year plays out.
My mistake on the Toronto game.

Again, this is not a young Brady versus young Sanchez comparison. Not sure why you keep wanting to go down that path considering the 2001 season. What Brady did in his first or second year as as a starter has nothing to do with how Sanchez performed late last year, or can be expected to perform this year. The book has been written and closed on Brady's 2001 season. That's in the past and has no bearing on either Sanchez or Brady this year.

Agreed, it's a small sample size; and agreed, it's not possible to absolutely say if it was cold weather, late season pressure, lack of experience, hitting a rookie wall or something else. Time will tell, you are correct. Just saying all we have to go on right now is that past performance, and it is something you cannot totally discount.

Sanchez has had a QB rating over 100 six times in his career; three were in September and none happened after November 1. But I'm with you, the next six games will give us all a much better idea; there's three in NJ, one in PA, one in MA and one in IL.

the jets are not helping the pats... if the jets were a 6 win team right now the pats would have the #1 seed in the AFC and the east all but locked up but it dose make it more fun for us fans

Name the handful of plays please. I happen to name some. Please do the same.

Weren't the 2003 NFL Champion Patriots shut out 31-0 after having all pre-season to prepare for the Bills? At the time you guys were 0-1 and were coming off a year of just missing the playoffs. Be honest: After that game...at that time: Did you have confidence in your team doing well after that embarrassing loss?

OK...how about the missed FG by Crosby from the 45 in the 2nd quarter...great Jet defense on that?

or the pass by Rodgers to Nelson in the early 3rd quarter down at the Jet 15 that was clear P.I.?The five yards for illegal contact gets the Packers at the Jet 35 at the very least and into easy scoring range.

or G.B. running the ball up the middle from the 23 late in the 4th quarter 3 straight times...if they felt they needed to score 6 don't you think they would have aired it out with Rodgers at QB? They didn't because they KNEW they had the game well in hand and that the Jets had NO CHANCE to come back.

Funny you go back to the Patriot opener to somehow soothe your inflamed posterior from the scorching you are taking but I fail to see how YOUR healthy, happy, bragging, chest thumping Jet mouths can equate THAT beatdown with the opening day loss by the Pats years ago right after they lose their starting SS , All Pro and TEAM LEADER days before the opener to a very unpopular trade. You are flailing because, like most Jet fans, your big mouth has written another check your azz can't cash.

Last edited:
I stick by my original claim that the jets suck..I dont care what their record is, they will fall short once again. You can only get so lucky for so long.

It is a must win game though..will it single handedly decied the divison? No,..but it is a must win because...

F The MOTHER F'N jets and their fans!

I've told myself that the Jets keeping up with the Pats might serve to boost the Pats' focus, but I'm pretty sure that's just me rationalizing how annoying the Jets' end-of-games' luck/heroics (take your pick depending on who you root for) have been.

As to the Sanchez topic this thread has moved to, I don't think I'd put too much stock into the cold weather thing. Sanchez was a rookie last year, and played like one. He has, so far, played much better this year.

The biggest challenge for a young QB, though, is playing well when you're expected to--and so far, his play has still been of the "hey look, he's playing well!" variety.

True...we are 0-2 vs winning teams besides that Patriots win. But if you think the Jets are overrated then you are mistaken. Just as easily we could have lost those games vs Detroit, Cleveland, Denver, & Houston...we could have easily won the games vs Green Bay & Baltimore.

One key play here or there is the difference in the game in all of those contests.

For instance: If Braylon Edwards doesn't run into the kicker during the Baltimore game then they don't get three free 1st & goals from the 3 yard line and run in for the only touchdown of the game.

Another instance: If Santonio Holmes doesn't drop that wide open screen pass during the Green Bay game, the outcome might just be different. Not to mention faking a punt to run for the first down on 4th & 19.

Now, I'm not making excuses for the Jets losses this season. I'm just explaining a point. That point being how close these teams are and that even vs the good teams we weren't over-matched by any of them.
Green Bay shut you out. You don't almost win when you are shut out.

I know he played terrible in his first cold weather game vs Buffalo. 5 interceptions. But, was that a byproduct of the cold or him being a rookie?
What about the Playoff game vs Bengals last year? I'm not going to even count the reg Season game vs Bengals last year. Are we talking about every home game after late November? How was the temperature during the 4 turnover debacle in New England last year. But what constitutes a cold weather game in your opinion?

Whatever the answer is...there is too small a sample to evaluate Mark Sanchez in cold weather games. He's only started in 29 games total, including playoffs. 16 of those were on the road. I know one thing, he's playing better than Tom Brady did during his 2nd year.
Really? Tom Brady won the SB in his 2nd year in the league.
Tom Brady took over a team that had gone 5-13 and took them to 14-3.
That could be the most ridiculous statement I have ever read.

This year is great because we can finally find out if the Jets really are cursed. If so, I predict it starts tomorrow.

Why is Tom Brady and mark Sanchez even being mentioned in the same sentence? First year, second year or any year.... why?

Sanchez is 31st in completion percentage, virtually the least accurate QB in the NFL. Its pretty easy to see how awful accuracy can lead to cold weather problems.
Thats what we have to go on. He is from the West Coast, he was poor in cold weather last year and is an inaccurate passer.
Sure we could wait until his career is over and see if all of the evidence pointing in one direction ends up being right, but we are discussing it today. As of today, the Jets, who have limped through the past month against weak teams have a schedule that gets harder and their ability to play as well in cold weather is questionable.

The winner of the Monday night game has a huge advantage towards winning the division, but I disagree that it'll be decided on that day. For one thing, there are 4 games left afterwards.

The Jets game is huge, but it's not the Super Bowl, unless you're Rex Ryan.

If the Pats win...it will give the Pats a big adv. If the Jets win the division race is pretty much over.

How in the world are they 8-2?
Because they have played bad teams close and the bad teams have handed them games. Otherwise they are about 5-5.

Why is Tom Brady and mark Sanchez even being mentioned in the same sentence? First year, second year or any year.... why?

I've been asking this same question myself!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back