PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Are Colts more formidable than Broncos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colts D is a lot worse then Denvers. Bradshaw is having a great year and scares me out of the backfield for passes

No, the Colts are not more formidable than the Broncos. They also don't match up well against the Patriots, with the exception of Hilton.

They have Sergio Brown & Darius Butler in the secondary and they don't have anyone who can cover a TE, never mind one as good as Gronk.

Laron Landry was activated. I suppose he'd play over Brown. As for the Colts haven't played any good teams theory. Well the Broncos fans were saying the same about us. Look how that game turned out. :p

I think we can win, our secondary is much better this season. But part of me is thinking, will this be the game Luck finally gets it? Although Luck is a gunslinger. So hopefully plenty of picks. Hopefully we also contain him inside the pocket. I'm really not sure how this game will turn out. I just hope we have a good game and win.

I dont rate the Colts D. I think the D got somewhat built up due to weak opponents plus the fact they started the season with some ridiculous stat of only allowing 4-41 3rd down conversions. That stat is from mid-october and AFAIK their 3rd down D has regressed to the mean since.

Their offense is legit but not unstoppable. Pats will have to put up points in this game but we all know that Brady is nails is a dome.

Against the Broncos i felt they needed a good gameplan and good execution to win. I feel like they can beat the colts without being perfect.

Sorry, Zipster, I had to edit the thread title and change the "Is" to "Are".

It was giving me a splitting headache. :D

NP.

I still have nightmare's on the game in 2009 against Colts/Peyton. That 4th-and-2 that BillB went for it in the Dome haunts me.... :(

2007 AFC Conference game in Dome, Colts/Peyton came back. Reche dropped 2 easy throws for TDs wouldve sealed the Colts.... :(

I would love to see a 4-2-1-4 "big nickel" base with someone like Casillas or Ebner as a LB/S assigned as a spy. I think Luck can be conned into a lot of bad throws.

I agree. I really hope that we will continue with "sub is the new base" and try to stop the run again like that. A frustrated Luck, is a very turnover-prone Luck.

As a sidenote, with a good gameplan that exposes Luck mental mistakes we can kick him out of the MVP race as well. Not terribly important but a nice benefit.

Finally, I think that this game will gives us another two important pieces in the puzzle of "Who are the 2014 Patriots?"

Play another big game on the road in prime time after the KC debacle. And see if our new flexibilty in the defense will allow us to finally get a handle on mobile QBs.

Both big pieces, if we pass both and perform on a similar magnitude like in the last two weeks, I am not sure what else is left to feel worried about except injuries.

Edit: Another still open puzzle piece will remain to be our offensive running game. I somehow forgot about that when writing the post. I have a feeling we wont get a good answer on that until the middle of December, though.

Last edited:
I don't think people are giving Indy enough credit. They have one of the top 5 weapons in the NFL with Hilton who is probably more impactful than any single player Denver gas due to his speed and quickness. Emmanuel Sanders is a poor man's version of him.

The Patriots will have no answer to him. Revis can't keep with him. Browner can't catch him. The best bet is to put Butler on him due to his speed and try to give him as much safety help as possible.

This will free up other guys the Colts have. The Colts are a lot like the Patriots. They have 1 great weapon that opens it up for their other weapons while not great are still pretty good.

Luck commits more mistakes than Manning but he is most dangerous too. He can run and he will be able to hit those 60 yard bombs manning can't.

Their D is lacking and i think that is why the Patriots win but I expect it to be close. Not to mention they have a good home field advantage and can run the ball better so will shorten the game. 31-27

I don't think people are giving Indy enough credit. They have one of the top 5 weapons in the NFL with Hilton who is probably more impactful than any single player Denver gas due to his speed and quickness. Emmanuel Sanders is a poor man's version of him.

The Patriots will have no answer to him. Revis can't keep with him. Browner can't catch him. The best bet is to put Butler on him due to his speed and try to give him as much safety help as possible.

I'll take Demaryius Thomas over T.Y. Hilton any day. And there is more to defending a receiver than just pure speed. Revis has handled plenty of speed receivers.

I do agree, however, about Butler + safety help being a good combination. I don't think the Pats are going to have any single player shadow Hilton. I do hope they beat the crap out of him like they did the Denver receivers - that will slow him down as much as anything.

Just know the 3 best offenses they have faced they have lost, Denver, Philly, and Pitt

No disrespect to the Eagles, but I think they got extremely lucky in that game.

The colts are 2 years away IMO from being true contenders. Luck is absolutely carrying that team

Interesting take, all i have seen from Luck has been really positive, i think he is going to be a dominant player for the next 10 years.

To answer the question-no, the Colts aren't as good as the Bronco's, but they could be by the end of the season. i think Pagano is a better coach than Fox and we still have to see how both teams handle major injuries down the road. The Bronco's, in particular, could end up getting hit at the worst time, with little time left to figure out how to deal with them. Unless of course they simply manage to go unscathed by major injury for the season, but that is really unlikely.
People keep saying that about Luck while he keeps throwing bonehead pass after bonehead pass. Maybe it will happen for him, but he's in, what, year 3? He strikes me as closer to Drew Bledsoe (except for the mobility) than Peyton Manning.

The colts are 2 years away IMO from being true contenders. Luck is absolutely carrying that team

Until then they will have a lot of turnover of older players plus Luck wont be on his rookie contract anymore.. building a team with a QB on a big, big contract is very hard. Wouldnt surprise me if they regress into mediocrity for a few years unless they hit homeruns with their draft picks.

Yes given it is away, it's a tougher game imo.

Colts currently is #1 passing offense and 9th in against-the-run.

They use 2 TE formations (ala, Patriots). They are playing @ home (in a dome). TY Hilton is more dynamic than Sanders (Broncos), IMO.

Will this be a shoot-out? A blow-out? or a close-on?

We overpowered Colts & Luck in last 2 head-head. But, that was in Foxboro.

no. they have a nice team but they are not even close to Denver talent wise

This will free up other guys the Colts have. The Colts are a lot like the Patriots. They have 1 great weapon that opens it up for their other weapons while not great are still pretty good.

Luck commits more mistakes than Manning but he is most dangerous too. He can run and he will be able to hit those 60 yard bombs manning can't.

Their D is lacking and i think that is why the Patriots win but I expect it to be close. Not to mention they have a good home field advantage and can run the ball better so will shorten the game. 31-27

I love TY but Thomas is a significantly more difficult matchup. NE is not going to have to do anything outlandish to deal with him, just Revis or Browner with some safety help.

I love TY but Thomas is a significantly more difficult matchup. NE is not going to have to do anything outlandish to deal with him, just Revis or Browner with some safety help.
Jam Hilton at the line and you take away his speed advantage. Bradshaw out of the backfield is the big threat. Someone is going to need to spy him at every opportunity. Luck loves the short passes to Bradshaw.

So Hilton will be stuck on Revis island. Other then him and Bradshaw (and luck) no one on that team or D scares me. After seeing them lay an egg vs Pitt. They are a good team..but not on pats/broncos level. Pats SHOULD win. But gotta work for every game. And they are always prepared after a bye. I think they take this W as they need it as it could come down to a tie breaker vs colts as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes