PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone Who Criticizes the Coaches is a Moron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blame Belichick because he is the HC. We don't seem to learn. We've been losing bitterly since 2005 and i always feel such bitter loses would make us better the following year. IT DOESN'T.

I actually put the blame on Chung. Yes the coaches giving a green light is questionable, but not if they trust their players to know situational football. A player who is in essence the QB of special teams makes a bonehead decision like that, then you knock him.

by the way, I'll say this again, Belichick said it was a "big mistake." He didn't say there was a failure to execute.

Well, I guess I disagree, in that nothing I saw yesterday or read today convinces me the coaching/playcalling was the culprit in this game more than the players executing the plays in front of them.

Regarding the defense, Sanchez has been garbage since about week 5, and he's been turning the ball over under pressure all year long. The Jets have a stiff playing left guard, yet the Patriots didn't scheme to take advantage of that. You'll notice that the Jets schemed to take advantage of the stiff the Patriots had at right guard. The Jets had a backup playing right tackle, yet the Patriots didn't scheme to take advantage of that, either. Sanchez threw at least one pick in 10 of his last 12 games. The only 2 games he didn't? The Steelers game, where Polamalu was out with injury, and the Patriots playoff game, where Belichick didn't bother with pressure schemes. I'm not sure why we should pretend that's not a huge Belichick screw up.

Regarding the offense... seriously? Which player was calling the plays and keeping BJGE on the sidelines? I'm not even a BJGE fan, and I was stunned at how much time he spent on the sidelines. Which player called for that screen pass when Brady was killing the Jets with passes further down the field to that point?

Again, I usually defend the coaches, because people generally use them as scapegoats. Yesterday, though, the coaching was bad on both sides of the ball. I won't even bother with the utter stupidity that was the fake punt.

Last edited:
Regarding the defense, Sanchez has been garbage since about week 5, and he's been turning the ball over under pressure all year long. The Jets have a stiff playing left guard, yet the Patriots didn't scheme to take advantage of that. You'll notice that the Jets schemed to take advantage of the stiff the Patriots had at right guard. The Jets had a backup playing right tackle, yet the Patriots didn't scheme to take advantage of that, either. Sanchez threw at least one pick in 10 of his last 12 games. The only 2 games he didn't? The Steelers game, where Polamalu was out with injury, and the Patriots playoff game, where Belichick didn't bother with pressure schemes. I'm not sure why we should pretend that's not a huge Belichick screw up.

Regarding the offense... seriously? Which player was calling the plays and keeping BJGE on the sidelines? I'm not even a BJGE fan, and I was stunned at how much time he spent on the sidelines. Which player called for that screen pass when Brady was killing the Jets with passes further down the field to that point?

Again, I usually defend the coaches, because people generally use them as scapegoats. Yesterday, though, the coaching was bad on both sides of the ball. I won't even bother with the utter stupidity that was the fake punt.

How is a Pat fan not a BJGE fan? He has done everything right this season.

Blame Belichick because he is the HC. We don't seem to learn. We've been losing bitterly since 2005 and i always feel such bitter loses would make us better the following year. IT DOESN'T.

It's the NFL.

You don't win every year.

Belichick's defense won 2 Super Bowls in the late 80s early 90s.

Belichick continued to coach for another 10 years before winning another one.

We're due NEXT year.

It's the NFL.

You don't win every year.

Belichick's defense won 2 Super Bowls in the late 80s early 90s.

Belichick continued to coach for another 10 years before winning another one.

We're due NEXT year.

We are not due next year. We say that every year. The truth is that we blew it. We are better than the Jets, we lost at home after all the jets trash talk and a week off.
What else did we need to win? Sanchez isn't even a very good QB

How is a Pat fan not a BJGE fan? He has done everything right this season.

1.) Take it up with the coaching staff. They had him on the bench most of yesterday's game.

2.) BJGE is ok as a backup, which is a major step up from what he was last year. However, the O-line played much better in the run game this year than last, and that had a lot to do with his improved play.

I actually put the blame on Chung. Yes the coaches giving a green light is questionable, but not if they trust their players to know situational football. A player who is in essence the QB of special teams makes a bonehead decision like that, then you knock him.

by the way, I'll say this again, Belichick said it was a "big mistake." He didn't say there was a failure to execute.

I didn't see Belichick's press conference--did he say he made a big mistake, or Chung did?

Which player called for that screen pass when Brady was killing the Jets with passes further down the field to that point?

I assume the OC called the screen play, just as he called the other plays that had the Pats tearing down the field. Brady was the one who threw the horrible pass.

The fake punt was a good gamble to take. Chung shouldn't have dropped the ball.

I assume the OC called the screen play, just as he called the other plays that had the Pats tearing down the field. Brady was the one who threw the horrible pass.

Ok from now on, lets go for it on every fourth down. Great gamble. We just have to execute.
We were not in any danger so going for it was foolish.

We are not due next year. We say that every year. The truth is that we blew it. We are better than the Jets, we lost at home after all the jets trash talk and a week off.
What else did we need to win? Sanchez isn't even a very good QB

You can't win the freakin' Super Bowl consistently in the NFL.

The best have NEVER been able to do that.

The call was terrible. It was inexcusable.

It was not a good gamble to take. It was absolute stupidity to make that call. The timing of it was wrong, regardless of the execution. When you're the home favorite, and you're behind in a close game (it was less than a touchdown), and you get the ball to start the second half, you don't make that play inside of 2 minutes of the half from inside your own 40. If it fails, the opponent doesn't even need a first down to be in field goal range, and they can milk the clock first to make sure you don't get the ball back, if they choose. You piss away the opportunity to regain the lead on your opening drive of half two.

And that's exactly what happened in this case. To make matters worse, the mistake ended up costing 7 points instead of just 3.

Last edited:

I guess I'll say this and be done with it.

Belichick said that fake punt was a "bad mistake."

He has never used the word "mistake" to describe poor execution.

Even in this morning's press conference, he used a different word (not the word "mistake") to describe poor execution, or being manhandled physically.

So, I agree with Belichick about the fake punt.

You can't win the freakin' Super Bowl consistently in the NFL.

The best have NEVER been able to do that.

Who is talking about the Super Bowl? We lost out first playoff game after positioning favorably.

The fake punt was a good call, the play was there, probably a long gainer, and Chung dropped it.

By the way -- Simms made a big deal about snapping the ball to people who don't usually take snaps then, but had no comment on a couple of direct snaps (2-pt play, direct to Woodhead) that worked.

I think Woodhead has handled the ball a lot more than Chung :rolleyes:

Ok from now on, lets go for it on every fourth down. Great gamble. We just have to execute.
We were not in any danger so going for it was foolish.

No, you have to be selective--that was a good time to try it.

The "danger" was that the team was playing flat as a pancake.

The call was terrible. It was inexcusable.

Outside of using multiple synonyms for "bad," I don't think that advances things much. It doesn't matter what the playcall was--throwing the interception was the dagger.

Everything about the game stunk!!!!When this team started slow i knew it was gonna be a long night.That Brady int was a terrible throw.This team blew an opportunity.I just wonder what will be the excuse for BB and Brady next year if they go 1 and out.They both need playoffs victories!!

Outside of using multiple synonyms for "bad," I don't think that advances things much. It doesn't matter what the playcall was--throwing the interception was the dagger.

Given that the interception is a product of the play call, I'm not sure what point you think you're making here. The offense was moving the ball with direct strikes that were putting the Jets defense on its heels. Going with a play that relies on the Jets firing forward in such a situation is folly. It's essentially counting on a blitz when the offense was killing the regular defense and didn't need to worry about a blitz.

Given that the interception is a product of the play call, I'm not sure what point you think you're making here. The offense was moving the ball with direct strikes that were putting the Jets defense on its heels. Going with a play that relies on the Jets firing forward in such a situation is folly. It's essentially counting on a blitz when the offense was killing the regular defense and didn't need to worry about a blitz.

Nevermind the fact that they weren't blitzing and were dedicating coverage right where that play was designed to go. That down and distance is as far away from a blitz situation as it gets, and Rex rarely sends in the red zone, especially against that kind of weaponry and system. They got too cute in critical situations and that's what killed them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick