PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Anyone feel sorry the Bills can't get a coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner is too cheap, stadium too small and weather horrendous. Team will be sold and moved to Toronto.

The last two things are untrue.

It really sounds like you don't know what you're talking about.

Google the words: sunniest city in the northeast. You'll be surprised.

The reputation is much worse than the reality.

Last edited:
Great news for Patriots fans, as Chan Gailey reportedly has become the likely hire:

The Buffalo Bills secretly interviewed long-time coach Chan Gailey last week and a source close to Gailey said the coach is slated to meet with owner Ralph Wilson and GM Buddy Nix sometime again Monday, FOXSports.com has learned. As long as talks don’t break down, Gailey is expected to be hired as the Bills head coach within the next 24-48 hours.

Glazer Buffalo Bills Chan Gailey frontrunner coach - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

Tell me more about him. The name sounds familar but I can't place him.
Does he have any good points?
What was he, like the 15th choice?

Chan Gailey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Patriots fans should be happy because he'll offer a different challenge than the Dolphins and Jets. Those teams are defense first squads built around pressuring the opponent into mistakes. Gailey will likely bring a more offense-oriented approach to the Bills, meaning the Patriots will need to build a team that can beat both approaches. He's also struggled as a head coach on the college level, failed to turn around the Cowboys as head coach although his years were an improvement over Switzer's final season, failed to get integrated enough into the Chiefs system last season for the satisfaction of Haley (and was fired as a result), and is not likely to bring Buffalo to any real level of prominence in the NFL.

Last edited:
Seems like there hiring Gailey because nobody else wants the job!

Chan Gailey isn't even a good offensive coordinator and wasn't a successful HC in the ACC. The Bills weren't going anywhere anyway but this just furthers that. Which is a good thing as the Jest and Fins look like they'll be solid competition for the foreseeable future.

I think the biggest thing the Bills have to worry about is MOVING and don't tell me if may not happen.
I work with a lot of guys up from that area and there's not much there. The city is in bad shape sorry to say.
Hate to see for their fans but lifes not always fair.

I think the biggest thing the Bills have to worry about is MOVING and don't tell me if may not happen.
I work with a lot of guys up from that area and there's not much there. The city is in bad shape sorry to say.

i guess then the nfl would renamed to the INFL seeing we would have a team in Canada....

I live in Buffalo.

The city is nice it's underrated, a really pretty city that most football fans don't see because you don't drive anywhere near Buffalo to get to the stadium which is 30 minutes out. Buffalo has rebounded and gentrified in the last decade, it still has its unbelievable architecture from it glory days.

Buffalo Bills make more in revenue than 9 other NFL teams, and they sell out every game.

Where would they move to and why would they move prior to the other 9 teams that are struggling?

Last edited:
i guess then the nfl would renamed to the INFL seeing we would have a team in Canada....

The whole Toronto thing has not gone well. Ticket sales haven't panned out and the stadium is too small for the NFL (sub 50k). How quickly can Toronto build a football stadium to accommodate the NFL?

The owner is too cheap, stadium too small and weather horrendous. Team will be sold and moved to Toronto.

Looks like stadium size and attendance in Buffalo is doing just fine.

Ralph Wilson Stadium
Capacity: 73,097

Gillette Stadium:
Capacity: 68,756

Looks like they beat New England in attendance and Buffalo is often within the top ten:
2009 NFL Football Attendance - National Football League - ESPN

Weather? Yup. It snows in Buffalo and it snows in Boston. More in Buffalo? Absolutely. But in reality, not all that different. Besides, cold is cold and snow is snow. I love how people say the weather is SO bad in Buffalo when it's freaking windy and snowy in the Boston area, too. Winter sucks everywhere; even here - it snowed all weekend here on the south shore.

City Climate Comparisons

Team isn't going anywhere. That market - with that fierce fan base from WNY to Southern Ontario - too big to vacate.

Last edited:
The thing that saddens me about the Bills plight is that of the fans. Your team is your team. People like Wilson live in fantasy worlds, have done so for some time and continue to make decisions that hurt the fans.

The plights of other teams surely makes you appreciate the stable leadership and ownership of the Kraft family.

Last edited:
How the hell does Chan Gailey get a job over someone like Mike Martz. Sure Martz has his faults, but one thing about his teams they were never boring and last time I checked the Bills want to 4 Super Bowls with wide open offence that attacked defences alot like Martz not whatever the hell Chan Gailey runs.

What I heard was that the Bills really want Lezlie Frazier, the Vikings' DC, but they keep winning and Ralph doesn't want to wait any longer. I think this is a very bad idea, and I speak from experience.

Ten years ago, when Kraft was holding out for Belichick, I wanted the Pats to just hurry up and get someone, figuring it did more damage for there to be no one at the helm than to wait for the guy you were hoping to get. Needless to say, I was proven wrong on that one - I don't think the Pats would've won three SBs in four years under Dom Capers. ;)

What I heard was that the Bills really want Lezlie Frazier, the Vikings' DC, but they keep winning and Ralph doesn't want to wait any longer. I think this is a very bad idea, and I speak from experience.

Ten years ago, when Kraft was holding out for Belichick, I wanted the Pats to just hurry up and get someone, figuring it did more damage for there to be no one at the helm than to wait for the guy you were hoping to get. Needless to say, I was proven wrong on that one - I don't think the Pats would've won three SBs in four years under Dom Capers. ;)

The danger with waiting is that the guy can't fill out his staff.

That being said, I would wait rather than hire Chan Gailey.

Honestly, if you were going to hire Gailey, you might as well have just hired Jim Haslett earlier on.

The Bills, like the Raiders, really are mediocrity personified. And, like the Raiders, it all stems from the owner. Both Al Davis and Ralph Wilson are duds! Therefore their teams are as well.

I do feels sorry for Bills fans. I live amongst them and they are truly rabid and dedicated fans of the highest degree. But, until Ralph's hands are removed from the franchise they are doomed to failure.

The Bills, like the Raiders, really are mediocrity personified. And, like the Raiders, it all stems from the owner. Both Al Davis and Ralph Wilson are duds! Therefore their teams are as well.

I do feels sorry for Bills fans. I live amongst them and they are truly rabid and dedicated fans of the highest degree. But, until Ralph's hands are removed from the franchise they are doomed to failure.

Mike Lombardi agrees with you. He calls the hiring "Raider-ish":

Diner morning news: Bills take ?Raider-ish? route | National Football Post

More importantly, the Bills guru on the Buffalo news--a guy who carries a lot of weight because of his level-headedness (he is the anti-Ron Borges) has a lengthy article in yesterday's Buff News calling out Ralph, and there are hundreds of comments agreeing with the writer Sullivan.
Plenty of Bills people are calling out Ralph these days. And I suspect you'll see droves more joining ranks in light of the hiring of Gailey .... after being told, at least intimated as such, that the organization was going to clean house and bring on board some serious football people to right the ship. I mean many Bills fans were thinking Cowher or Shanny only to be given Nix and Gailey. How depressing this must be!

But really, until Ralph is out of the picture the Bills are doomed to mediocrity. Most logical Bills fans I know have come to realize this.

Last edited:
Plenty of Bills people are calling out Ralph these days. And I suspect you'll see droves more joining ranks in light of the hiring of Gailey .... after being told, at least intimated as such, that the organization was going to clean house and bring on board some serious football people to right the ship. I mean many Bills fans were thinking Cowher or Shanny only to be given Nix and Gailey. How depressing this must be!

But really, until Ralph is out of the picture the Bills are doomed to mediocrity. Most logical Bills fans I know have come to realize this.

The Bills big problem is that there is no one to right the ship so that the franchise can't stabilize in Buffalo. They are running out of time. It could take five years for a backdoor deal to be made which would bring a football stadium to Toronto. Buffalo doesn't have much time, but if they turn things around in a couple years, they could really make a case for not moving the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes