PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Any interest in a weekly post-game X's and O's thread?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you like a weekly post-game thread strictly for X and O's talk only?

• Total voters
I’ve always appreciated Chatham’s unique insight as an NFL player with the Patriots. I understand some fan posters feel they know the game far more than former players…but IMO that’s just delusional. Former players in general know more about the game then Monday morning QB’s.

Sorry but hard disagree. I’ve noticed many former players are actually worse analysts than knowledgeable fans…in any sport. Sure, they understand the the inner workings of the whole experience better than the fans. When it comes to actually being able to size up matchups, make predictions, etc none of them are making millions on sports betting. They also tend to get tunnel vision and relate everything to their own subjective experience although there’s lots of variation within sports career, coaching, systems, ownerships, etc.

In addition some former players simply aren’t very bright but have an attitude that they know it all because they’ve “been there.” They make plenty of stupid calls and often don’t understand cap implications like fans do.

The best analyst I’ve seen, who is awesome at using his football experience to explain the game as a player, and without bias give solid takes, is Deion Sanders.

Sorry but hard disagree. I’ve noticed many former players are actually worse analysts than knowledgeable fans…in any sport. Sure, they understand the the inner workings of the whole experience better than the fans. When it comes to actually being able to size up matchups, make predictions, etc none of them are making millions on sports betting. They also tend to get tunnel vision and relate everything to their own subjective experience although there’s lots of variation within sports career, coaching, systems, ownerships, etc.

In addition some former players simply aren’t very bright but have an attitude that they know it all because they’ve “been there.” They make plenty of stupid calls and often don’t understand cap implications like fans do.

The best analyst I’ve seen, who is awesome at using his football experience to explain the game as a player, and without bias give solid takes, is Deion Sanders.
But they are better at breaking down film (the ones who actually put the effort into doing it when they were players).

But they are better at breaking down film (the ones who actually put the effort into doing it when they were players).

Yeah, true I missed the context there. Usually they are as they usually have more advanced knowledge. But as someone pointed out they are also subject to bias like that **** show a few years ago.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back