PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another Possible BB Type Vet Signing: Arizona Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just as long as Gregory ISN'T the starter...because he ISN'T a starter.

He MAY be savvy (he most likely is), but, he ISN'T a starter.

And what are your thoughts on Gregory being a Starter? :madgrin:

I am a big Adrian Wilson fan and he's been my top S target since the rumors started that he may be cut a few months ago. Before last season he was rated as one of the best coverage Safeties in the NFL and I have a hard time believing all of that is gone in a year. I think he is the perfect fit at SS who can match up against TE's and reduces the need for a 'coverage LBer' that most people have been calling for. He is also a true professional who should fit very well with the locker room and help mentor the younger DB's. I really think he is just a great fit here.

Pair Wilson with McCourty, that sounds nice to me.

Re: Re: Another Possible BB Type Vet Signing: Arizona Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson

I am a big Adrian Wilson fan and he's been my top S target since the rumors started that he may be cut a few months ago. Before last season he was rated as one of the best coverage Safeties in the NFL and I have a hard time believing all of that is gone in a year. I think he is the perfect fit at SS who can match up against TE's and reduces the need for a 'coverage LBer' that most people have been calling for. He is also a true professional who should fit very well with the locker room and help mentor the younger DB's. I really think he is just a great fit here.

I agree ..I especially liked this quote

Kent Somers (@kentsomers) tweeted

"my fav quote from a player about Adrian Wilson: antrel rolle: "sometimes he can be quite mean about things."

(https://twitter.com/kentsomers/status/310116978897584128)

i want reed or wilson..either or will do for me

i want reed or wilson..either or will do for me

They are different players and if acquired present different considerations in rounding out the rest of the defensive secondary.

The Pats' D was absolutely pathetic in defending the short pass to TEs. This is where Wilson can help a great deal. Not to mention he is an intimidating presense over the middle. I don't like his age but I do think he can help this te

Reed is a FS. If you acquire him, you move DMC back to CB. If you don't get Reed, you still need a Talib-type CB AND a Wilson-type at SS.

In other words- you still need both.

You don't suddenly become a bad player at 33. Rodney was good well into his 30's. If he can play, he can play.

Is another safety that's a liability in coverage really what the Pats need?

no but that would not be seen as his role here, I would hope he would be an in the box safety and a lb in dimes, maybe 20-25 snaps a game.

You don't suddenly become a bad player at 33. Rodney was good well into his 30's. If he can play, he can play.

Rodney had a myriad of injuries starting with his knee being destroyed in 2005and was not the same player at 35 when he was at 32. In the NFL, you get old quick and Wilson will be 34 in October...

If he comes here I do think he can add value but to expect Wilson to play at a high-level in not realistic.

Rodney had a myriad of injuries starting with his knee being destroyed in 2005and was not the same player at 35 when he was at 32. In the NFL, you get old quick and Wilson will be 34 in October...

If he comes here I do think he can add value but to expect Wilson to play at a high-level in not realistic.
Good points, but at the vet minimum what do you have to lose?

Maybe for a 2 year, 3 million dollar deal.

Expecting him to be anything besides the #3 safety and occasional run stopper in heavy sets is a bad idea. You can't count on him to be your starting safety. He's become a massive liability in coverage (as opposed to mediocre like he used to be).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call