PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adrian Wilson

NE has also had nickle LB coverage deficiencies for years.

Your entire post was excellent and accurate. This statement I quoted stands out most though, I think you hit the nail on the head. I think his size and coverage skills will be a tremendous asset in a hybrid LB role. Arizona from what I understand did not use a money safety or a lot of dime sets in general. They kept 2 LB on the field most of the time and also played in a division made up of run first teams.

I also think Wilson's reduced role had a lot to do with Arizona building for the future and wanting to develop their younger DB's, knowing that Wilson wasn't going to be there moving forward.

Your entire post was excellent and accurate. This statement I quoted stands out most though, I think you hit the nail on the head. I think his size and coverage skills will be a tremendous asset in a hybrid LB role. Arizona from what I understand did not use a money safety or a lot of dime sets in general. They kept 2 LB on the field most of the time and also played in a division made up of run first teams.

I also think Wilson's reduced role had a lot to do with Arizona building for the future and wanting to develop their younger DB's, knowing that Wilson wasn't going to be there moving forward.

I agree, we will see Wilson playing a coverage LB spot. He will take on TEs and RBs out of the backfield and will allow the Patriots to play a beefed up nickel and dime package. I think he is going to fit in very well here.

I agree, we will see Wilson playing a coverage LB spot. He will take on TEs and RBs out of the backfield and will allow the Patriots to play a beefed up nickel and dime package. I think he is going to fit in very well here.

We all know how much the opposing RB's and TE's (along with WR3's) have given us trouble lately, so if that's where he can benefit the team--that'd be great.

We all know how much the opposing RB's and TE's (along with WR3's) have given us trouble lately, so if that's where he can benefit the team--that'd be great.

A semi-related thought: People are often talking about getting more aggressive up front and coming with more (or more exotic blitzes). This is usually prefaced by the idea that an improved secondary, and specifically improved corners who can play press man, allow this to happen.

I think it would be equally important to have improved safety play in the box and improved LB coverage (they're somewhat related/similar). Gambling on a blitz gets you to the QB quicker, which in turn makes the QB look to his safety valves: The slot receivers, tight ends, and running backs. That's where you need your Adrian Wilson's and Dan Fletcher's (theoretically) to be there. When the gamble DOESN'T pay off, you want those guys to be there to keep the dump off to a minimum.

A semi-related thought: People are often talking about getting more aggressive up front and coming with more (or more exotic blitzes). This is usually prefaced by the idea that an improved secondary, and specifically improved corners who can play press man, allow this to happen.

I think it would be equally important to have improved safety play in the box and improved LB coverage (they're somewhat related/similar). Gambling on a blitz gets you to the QB quicker, which in turn makes the QB look to his safety valves: The slot receivers, tight ends, and running backs. That's where you need your Adrian Wilson's and Dan Fletcher's (theoretically) to be there. When the gamble DOESN'T pay off, you want those guys to be there to keep the dump off to a minimum.

Great point. Having better coverage against those safety valves and checkdowns would go a long way in helping to limit the opposing offenses, and that certainly goes hand in hand with our lack of coverage LB's and proper safety play in both spots.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back