PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Another example of why the Pats are lucky to have BB

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevedogc

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
The Phins score a TD to go up by 11 points with the extra point to go, and they go for two! It makes no sense at all. 12 points and 13 points are the same. You cant tie the game with a td and fg. At 11 points you can. Stupid, stupid coaching

And what do the Jets do, drive down the field and score. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
Yep, BB is the best at those kind of situations. For example, the legendary intentional safety in Denver (2003) so they could get the ball back and score the game winning TD.

hmm, was wathing that.....i assume someone on the fins sideline forgot how to add for the drive

hmm, was wathing that.....i assume someone on the fins sideline forgot how to add for the drive

Off the top of my head
Down by go for
1 -- 1
2 -- 2
3 -- 1
4 -- 1
5 -- 2
6 -- 1
7 -- 1
8 -- 1
9 -- 2
10 -- 2
11 -- 1
12 -- 2

UP by go for
1 -- 2
2 -- 1
3 -- 1
4 -- 1 or 2(leaning towards 1)
5 -- 2
6 -- 1
7 -- 1
8 -- 2
9 -- 1
10 -- 1
11 -- 1
12 -- 2
13 -- 1
14 -- 1

Last edited:
Remember about a month ago when I said you see NFL Head Coaches making mistakes that most Madden players are smart enough not to make? This is another example of that sort of thing.

Both teams were going for 2 all over the place starting near the end of the 3rd which in my opinion is way to early. Both coaches were out thinking themselves on that front I think.

Yep, BB is the best at those kind of situations. For example, the legendary intentional safety in Denver (2003) so they could get the ball back and score the game winning TD.

That was a fantastic call from BB , i still remember that game.

That was some amazing coaching that just twisted everyone's brains that night with the intentional safety. Even to this day, I still get a bit confused over the play b/c the Pats could have got the ball back even if they punted and didn't let Denver get a first down. I know field position would be worse if you chose to punt, but a FG would win if you're NE. If you concede the safety, you give up points and get better field position, but a FG can only tie it. It's so crazy! ... It's easier to take 10 minutes to think about it. Yet, all these things were analyzed in a matter of sheer seconds by BB. It was incredible to witness.

I'll never forget that gm. Gives me goosebumps watching those highlights

Last edited:
Both teams were going for 2 all over the place starting near the end of the 3rd which in my opinion is way to early. Both coaches were out thinking themselves on that front I think.

Soprano and Ryan don't appear to be the brainiest of NFL head coaches. I think you're giving them too much credit by saying they overthought this.

How about with 4 seconds left in the half, Rex called a time out thinking he could get a return from the PR squad.. Stupid call, stopped the clock and gave the opponent another chance to for for it..

Soprano and Ryan don't appear to be the brainiest of NFL head coaches. I think you're giving them too much credit by saying they overthought this.

I always thought (or have heard) that there is a chart like the one above that lists when to go for two and when to kick the XP???? Isn't that what asst coaches are there for, to tell the OC or head coach, what the chart recommends????

How about with 4 seconds left in the half, Rex called a time out thinking he could get a return from the PR squad.. Stupid call, stopped the clock and gave the opponent another chance to for for it..

Hillariously stupid.

What do you expect, his waist size is larger than his IQ :D

The problem with the 'when to go for two chart' is that it often gets used too early in the game. If your opponent scores it almost always throws all those calculations off and renders them useless. Unless you are down to your last or next to last possession, there's no valid reason to be chasing points by goind for two. The Super Bowl against Carolina is another good example of a team shooting themselves in the foot, when the Panthers went for and missed two 2-point conversions with plenty of time left in the game.

Thankfully the Jets failed their attempts twice and thwarted the Dolphins attempt at winning the bad coach battle.

Listening to Rex's press conference makes me happy we got BB and hope we never lose him.

Rex goes on to talk about how the Jets outplayed the Dolphins all game long and points to the lopsided offensive stats but doesn't consider special teams...........As we all know there are 3 sides to the game. It's easy for fans to simply look at only offensive stats as an indication of quality of play but a coach should know better and understand that special teams can kill you (even though they are not on the field for very long). However, Rex decides to totally ignore it. If he keeps this up the jets are going to continue being a disaster.

I always thought (or have heard) that there is a chart like the one above that lists when to go for two and when to kick the XP???? Isn't that what asst coaches are there for, to tell the OC or head coach, what the chart recommends????

Jets Coaches have a history of bad clock managment.. Specifically Herm Edwards..

And going for it on 4th and 13 instead of taking the 45 yard field goal....

oh, wait.

Yeah BB makes great in game decisions no doubt. But will he make the biggest decision, Fires Pess, the man that has stolen multiple SB victories from this organiziation this decade? Or not??? Im afraid not...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents