PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Annual There's No Way _?_ Makes This Team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam Seward

Brooks has no problem earning a roster spot on special teams. His safety play makes him an OK #4 safety.

Dawson has shown that he might be a reasonable #5 or #6 CB who isn't much of a force on teams.

As I have posted, I think that the choice is between Crossen and Dawson.

It will be an interesting choice between Brooks and Dawson for one of the secondary spots. I don't see a way to keep both. Maybe even neither.

Brooks has no problem earning a roster spot on special teams. His safety play makes him an OK #4 safety.

Dawson has shown that he might be a reasonable #5 or #6 CB who isn't much of a force on teams.

The Patriots felt Dawson was good enough to select him with the #56 overall pick a year ago. Now a year later they don’t want him and on top of that he has no trade value?

It all depends on how the QB room (2 or 3), WRs (5 or 6 plus Slater) and DEs (Rivers? Whats up with Calhoun. Wise?) end up. You can quickly run into a scenario where Brooks (and/or Dawson) becomes a luxury.

I didn't mention trade value. However, an injury to a rookie greatly reduce the likelihood that the player will ever be a major contributor. So, his trade value is less than it would be. He might be worth a 6th to Detroit.

The Patriots felt Dawson was good enough to select him with the #56 overall pick a year ago. Now a year later they don’t want him and on top of that he has no trade value?

It will be an interesting choice between Brooks and Dawson for one of the secondary spots. I don't see a way to keep both. Maybe even neither.
Cutting ties with Dawson seems likely, as he is the least proven CB in a well-stocked depth chart. A lot of reports said he was having a strong camp, but he sure stunk in the last preseason game.

The only thing going for him is draft status.

Hoyer, Burkhead and Demaryius Thomas are toast.

Thomas. He was bad before his Achilles. Stone hands no separation. Now he's horrific. A 3 car pileup, Trainwreck and dumpster fire.

I didn't mention trade value. However, an injury to a rookie greatly reduce the likelihood that the player will ever be a major contributor. So, his trade value is less than it would be. He might be worth a 6th to Detroit.
Dawson didn’t miss the entire season he was on the roster for the second half of the year. Why would you think Detroit would want him, because Patricia who wasn’t even here when they drafted him would want him? They have Justin Coleman who is one of the best nickel CBs in the NFL.

Isiah Wynn was hurt all of last year should we be concerned about that?

Doesn't sound like a wholesale endorsement for a QB#2 position.

Offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach Josh McDaniels: “Jarrett, he’s a good kid. He loves football. He’s a hard worker. He comes in every day, he makes mistakes every day like they all do as rookies, and he gets better. He takes coaching, he listens well and he can improve from one day to the next if he’ll just take the things we’re talking about in the meeting room and apply them to the field the next day. He’s demonstrated toughness. He’s taken some hits. He’s been accurate when we’ve given him time to throw. Generally speaking, he’s run the offense somewhat the way we would like him to run it. There’s huge room for improvement. I don’t think there’s a rookie in the national football league after three preseason games that you wouldn’t’ say that about. Our goal is to just get a little better every day with him.”

Read more at: Patriots Rookie Update: Coaches’ Initial Impressions Of First-Year Players

Dawson didn’t miss the entire season he was on the roster for the second half of the year. Why would you think Detroit would want him, because Patricia who wasn’t even here when they drafted him would want him? They have Justin Coleman who is one of the best nickel CBs in the NFL.

I think the concern is that he hasn’t bounced back from injury in the way that we’d have liked him to, and unfortunately, that’s the case for many players who are injured in their first year in NE.

Add in the depth in front of him CB1-5 (Gilmore, Jackson, JMac, Jones, Williams) and it's easy to see how he’s fighting for a roster spot with Crossen. Personally, I think he makes it, but I understand the debate. It’s a logjam at the position.

Patricia appreciates patriot personnel. They have been well trained. I believe that Detroit might take a chance and us a 6th or 7th on Dawson. That's not really much of an investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3