PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

And Important Key To Patriot Winning Is Talent At WR ????

I dunno man. I am not sold on him being that elite guy. He's better than what we have, maybe, but guys here talk like he's Jamaar Chase or CeeDee Lamb. I think people would ***** when he came here and wasn't Randy Moss 2.0. I think they've built him up to this mythic thing that he's not. I think he's probably in that 2nd or 3rd tier of good wideouts in the league. Just my opinion.

Oh, I absolutely agree that he isn't Chase or Lamb....

But we aren't getting a Chase nor a Lamb unless we draft them....(Harrison, Jr. maybe).

As long as we are not going to pay him something north of what Jakobi Meyers got with the Raiders...I'd be interested....

We won because their offense was inept and their best defensive player got hurt and was cycling in and out of the game.
Given a certain mindset you can always find reasons we should have lost.
Last week the same QB and OC got shut out by the 2nd worst passing defensive.
Wins and losses from week to week are not transitive. That's why they play the games.

Yes, we need elite WRs....pural!

I suggest Tee Higgins, Jerry Jeudy, and a high draft pick (Harrison Jr. or the Washington kid).....

Even *I* could do 300 ypg w/ 3/1 TD/int ratio with that bunch!
I like that.. I'm thinking tee Higgins, Harrison Jr., a healthy Juju, KB, Douglas next season is a pretty good group!

they hit a shot play in the first possession. when was the last time that actually happened, further, I seriously wonder when was the last time they took a shot in the first possession.
The Pats receivers are jags - all of them, whether they played or not. Last night was jag production - they did what NFL WR are supposed to do at the bare minimum. in the first half coach coconuts let O'Brien actually make some aggressive play calls. I've been screaming from the mountaintop that once they get into the red zone (even inside the 30), to throw the ****ing ball I to the end zone for once. they normally run, throw a sideways pass, then get sacked. last night was such a departure from their norm you HAVE to think bozo the clown actually let O'Brien influence the in game calls.

It didn’t take playing his former team it took playing a Qb who threw the ball to to r right guy.
His routes were the same, he ran just as hard and he “seemed to care” just as much when 10 wasn’t throwing the ball to him at the right time or at all. You just didn’t see it because you are watching 10 throwing elsewhere.

If you think this was the same level of effort he's been putting in all year, then you really don't watch the all 22s as you like to claim

If you think this was the same level of effort he's been putting in all year, then you really don't watch the all 22s as you like to claim
Show me. Point out when he didn’t. You can’t.

Given a certain mindset you can always find reasons we should have lost.

Wins and losses from week to week are not transitive. That's why they play the games.
Sure... but there's a difference between context and second guessing an outcome. We beat the Jets all the time, that's not a situation where we should pretend that means the ship is righted. Just like when we beat the Bill we shouldn't have assumed that meant our season was turned around.

The reality is we played one of the bottom 3 passing defenses on our schedule that was all banged up and had their best player rotating in and out of the line up after getting hurt early and after a hot start they shut us down for over half the game and despite Trubisky being the same failure he's always been, our defense held on for dare life.

If you want to pretend that means that we don't need WR's because Juju woke up for one game like the OP of this thread then I really don't know what to tell you. I don't understand how people can look at consistent things going on for years and then use one game where the offense was good for only half of it against a bad defense to declare that there are really no problems. It's insanity.

Seriously it feels like there are a bunch of people on this site that just want to live in a fantasy that this is some secretly good team that needs minimal changes to be a contender despite years of evidence to protect their feelings. But I just can't entertain that thought process. If people want to use two quarters to justify not addressing a problem, have fun, then I can mentally check out and not care about next year and I'm sure at some point we'll get the same discussions we got the last several years.

Sure... but there's a difference between context and second guessing an outcome. We beat the Jets all the time, that's not a situation where we should pretend that means the ship is righted. Just like when we beat the Bill we shouldn't have assumed that meant our season was turned around.

The reality is we played one of the bottom 3 passing defenses on our schedule that was all banged up and had their best player rotating in and out of the line up after getting hurt early and after a hot start they shut us down for over half the game and despite Trubisky being the same failure he's always been, our defense held on for dare life.

If you want to pretend that means that we don't need WR's because Juju woke up for one game like the OP of this thread then I really don't know what to tell you. I don't understand how people can look at consistent things going on for years and then use one game where the offense was good for only half of it against a bad defense to declare that there are really no problems. It's insanity.

Seriously it feels like there are a bunch of people on this site that just want to live in a fantasy that this is some secretly good team that needs minimal changes to be a contender despite years of evidence to protect their feelings. But I just can't entertain that thought process. If people want to use two quarters to justify not addressing a problem, have fun, then I can mentally check out and not care about next year and I'm sure at some point we'll get the same discussions we got the last several years.
It’s not that complicated. Sports are a recreational matter so people choose to be optimists. It’s pointless to show up feeling like you’re owed something. It’s ok to be disappointed at times.

It’s not that complicated. Sports are a recreational matter so people choose to be optimists. It’s pointless to show up feeling like you’re owed something. It’s ok to be disappointed at times.
I want the team to be better so I can enjoy watching them compete at a high level. I'm not interested in being blindly optimistic in the face of overwhelming evidence otherwise just because I need to feel better.

Don't know how people can say a player is not trying. They don't know his health, they don't know how he fits in the offense, they don't know how hard he works. Now if there is proof of that, supply it. Not just about Juju, I see it frequently.

Ever watch Antonio Brown? He was taking selfies during routes.

Andy feasting like it’s a Chinese buffet on Ramadan

The Steelers are the 26th ranked defense in passing yards and 24th ranked in passing TD's and they still shut our offense down the entire second half and almost came back because of it. We won because their offense was inept and their best defensive player got hurt and was cycling in and out of the game.

Last week the same QB and OC got shut out by the 2nd worst passing defensive.

Zappe had a good game. Mac had a good game against much better Bills defense.

If the goal is to pick two outlier quarters for confirmation bias fine. But the fact that the offense started out hot and then got shut down by one of the lesser defenses in the leagues says something in its right.

This fanbase is so averse to getting WR talent after 5 years of watching decent defenses get let down no matter if Brady, Cam, Stidham, Mac or Zappe was the QB because they don't have the fire power on offense. If you want watch another mediocre offense next year because you don't want to do what all the teams that are successful do and then be sitting around you kinda deserve it at this point.

If the goal is to on occassion hold on because you can't ice a team like the Steelers in the second half, by all means stay the course. But realize that you got shut out for the last half of the game and almost lost to one of the bottom 3 defenses we will play this year
I don't think the fanbase is averse to getting WR or any receiving talent. Precisely the opposite, I'd say. No one was unhappy with the run the Patriots had with Branch, Givens, Patten, Graham, Watson, Welker, Moss, Gronk, Hernandez, Crumpler, Amendola, Edelman, and the multi-position players like Brown and Faulk. Matter of fact this fan base clamored for upgrades at WR in 2006 that was answered with Moss and Welker coming on board.

It's the misses in both free agency and the draft that make us all nuts. All the once-good receivers like Joey Galloway, Ochocinco et al, and the series of misses at WR in the draft. It's not like the fanbase was averse to any good WR.

I will tell you that I and many others are averse to spending disproportionate money on diva WRs like Antonio Brown at the expense of other position groups and team chemistry. And, I am in full agreement with anybody who says the Patriots should focus on having the best offensive line possible because that is where it all starts. The Patriots should have drafted the best available offensive lineman (preferably a Tackle) and signed the best available OL this past offseason.

It didn’t take playing his former team it took playing a Qb who threw the ball to to r right guy.
His routes were the same, he ran just as hard and he “seemed to care” just as much when 10 wasn’t throwing the ball to him at the right time or at all. You just didn’t see it because you are watching 10 throwing elsewhere.
Two items on Smith-Schuster: 1) he's cutting better and looks faster than earlier in the season while still working through his knee recovery, and 2) Zappe threw him open the other night by putting the ball where Smith-Schuster was going instead of where he was, like Mac Jones has done all season. I'd love to see that again, and it can't hurt that the Patriots get a couple of extra practice days for Zappe to work with the #1s following the Thursday night game.

Says Pats receivers are crap and run crap routes. Receiver coaching is a real problem....that and a lack of talent.
2.5 seconds and none are even looking back for the ball.

I am calling you out on this. You either made this up or have no idea what you are talking about. One thing that consistently stands out on film with JJSS is his willingness and effort as a blocker. That has been consistent all year. There is absolutely no evidence on film that JJSS lacked effort. So either find examples or I will conclude that you just made it all up because you blame him for 10 not being able to get him the ball.

Why are fans so against the Patriots acquiring an elite WR? And take victory laps when we win with average talent.

We beat a Steelers team on Thursday night with what we had. A Steelers team with trubisky at QB. After the garbage we watched all season. Seeing an offense look functional and score 21 points is exciting

Doesnt change the fact that if we want to be better than that we need at least one elite talent. Like we had in the past with Gronk and Moss before that. Let's see if juju/parker can keep up with the chiefs next week...

To be fair. No one ever said Juju/Parker aren't NFL Wars. Just that they should not be your #1 wide receivers. You draft an elite guy, have Douglas as your #2 slot and parker/juju/Bourne next to them? Sign me up.

It's like Brandon lafell/Hogan. Both good WRs. Probably similar take t to juju/parker. But would you want them being Bradys #1 targets over Gronk/Edelman?

Last edited:
I don't think the fanbase is averse to getting WR or any receiving talent. Precisely the opposite, I'd say. No one was unhappy with the run the Patriots had with Branch, Givens, Patten, Graham, Watson, Welker, Moss, Gronk, Hernandez, Crumpler, Amendola, Edelman, and the multi-position players like Brown and Faulk. Matter of fact this fan base clamored for upgrades at WR in 2006 that was answered with Moss and Welker coming on board.

It's the misses in both free agency and the draft that make us all nuts. All the once-good receivers like Joey Galloway, Ochocinco et al, and the series of misses at WR in the draft. It's not like the fanbase was averse to any good WR.

I will tell you that I and many others are averse to spending disproportionate money on diva WRs like Antonio Brown at the expense of other position groups and team chemistry. And, I am in full agreement with anybody who says the Patriots should focus on having the best offensive line possible because that is where it all starts. The Patriots should have drafted the best available offensive lineman (preferably a Tackle) and signed the best available OL this past offseason.
The line is a priority as well. Also failing in the past at a position is not a good reason to avoid going after them. Also we didn't spend a disproportionate amount of money on Antonio Brown. He was dirt cheap when he came here. You can't be gun shy because Bill failed before.

Why are fans so against the Patriots acquiring an elite WR? And take victory laps when we win with average talent.

We beat a Steelers team on Thursday night with what we had. A Steelers team with trubisky at QB. After the garbage we watched all season. Seeing an offense look functional and score 21 points is exciting

Doesnt change the fact that if we want to be better than that we need at least one elite talent. Like we had in the past with Gronk and Moss before that. Let's see if juju/parker can keep up with the chiefs next week...

To be fair. No one ever said Juju/Parker aren't NFL Wars. Just that they should not be your #1 wide receivers. You draft an elite guy, have Douglas as your #2 slot and parker/juju/Bourne next to them? Sign me up.

It's like Brandon lafell/Hogan. Both good WRs. Probably similar take t to juju/parker. But would you want them being Bradys #1 targets over Gronk/Edelman?
Every year for the last several years we go through the same cycle. The team is mediocre and doesn't have the fire power to win against good offenses and make comebacks. We see and complain about the WR issues most of the season. Then all of a sudden it's closer to the time where we have to invest a draft pick or free agency money in a WR and then the costs make a decent. It's been a bit of a running joke for years in NFL fandom that Patriots fans say they need WR's all year but then never want to pay the piper when it comes to getting them.

We definitely need to upgrade WRs, but I will say this until I’m blue in the face: Hunter Henry is a good receiving TE. Paired with a good blocking TE and our TEs are pretty solid.

We definitely need to upgrade WRs, but I will say this until I’m blue in the face: Hunter Henry is a good receiving TE. Paired with a good blocking TE and our TEs are pretty solid.
He is. But he’s not good enough to be the top pass catcher on the team. Which imo he is. We need to help him be more effective. Not run him into the ground

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back