PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An Innocent Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of Wilfork's snaps could usefully go to a second good NT -- some to rest Wilfork, some to let Wilfork take some snaps from Seymour or Warren and rest them.

Why so many DT's in the draft????

Why?

Just wondering...

My guess would be that they don't like the direction initial talks have been going with big Vince, and they are covering themselves.

One thing I noticed on the NFL.com Combine results section, is that while Chung and Butler both grade out well, these DT's all did not. I don't care, because they are DT's. Just something I noticed.

Brace will be Wilfork's Back-up at NT.
Prior and Richard will be converted to DE, IMHO.

Seymour and Green are UFA next season. Smith is RFA/UFA depending on the CBA. So, developing those Prior and Richard on the practice squad behind Wright, Seymour, Green and Smith, seems like the thing to do. Especially since I believe that 2 of Seymour, Green and Smith won't be back in 2010.

Brace will be Wilfork's Back-up at NT.
Prior and Richard will be converted to DE, IMHO.

Richard will definitely be converted(if he makes the team). He's 6'4, 290.

Pryor, not so sure, hes 6'0 319, compared to Brace's 6'3 330. He's more of a NT than even Brace.

One possibility I think is worth mentioning is perhaps using Wilfork more on passing downs. When Wilfork was drafted, he really wasn't a true NT, if I recall. He was tall, but under 300 pounds and was used as a pass rushing interior lineman.

Now Brace comes into the NFL at 6'3" 330, and if he can play well enough to take about a third of the 1st-2nd down snaps at NT, then that keeps Wilfork rested to disrupt the middle on 3rd and long, which could be untapped potential for him.

Just a thought. As for the rest of the DT, we're talking late round fliers really. 6th and 7th rounders you figure come into camp to give existing backups/ps squad players competition and you see who sticks.

Richard will definitely be converted(if he makes the team). He's 6'4, 290.

Pryor, not so sure, hes 6'0 319, compared to Brace's 6'3 330. He's more of a NT than even Brace.

How is Pryor more of a NT than Brace? Washington, one of the best all-time, was 6'6. Wilfork is 6'3 and plays in the 335 range.

Maybe Pryor will be a NT, but he's destined to be against Titus Adams for the Practice Squad then.

How is Pryor more of a NT than Brace? Washington, one of the best all-time, was 6'6. Wilfork is 6'3 and plays in the 335 range.

Maybe Pryor will be a NT, but he's destined to be against Titus Adams for the Practice Squad then.

Pryor is even more of the classic NT shape than Brace. He's 6' 319. Hes shorter and wider than Brace at 6'3 330. I don't know where Pryor ends up, but I really doubt its as a DE. The patriots like their DEs in the 6'5 range.

Yes, Washington was 6'5, but he was also almost 400 lbs.

Richard and Pryor are vying for the Practice Squad. Wilfork could play DE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft