PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

An FYI On Mac Jones

We went through this last year with Mac. If we dink and dunk too much, the passing completion % goes up, and teams move another man in the box. Against good teams that spells disaster - review the last 5 and playoff games in 2021.

To keep teams honest the QB has to throw downfield which means "into tight windows". Drinking and dunking is not a bad thing, but we are unlikely to win playoff games that way.

that Lions game went perfect. Running game went off and defense played gangbusters. Not much was asked of zappe. What do you do if the other team can score and the run game isn't unstoppable. its very easy on the QB if those two things are going and you are just asked to make your first read. Thats not to discount zappe, because he's been a pleasant surprise when you look at the QB's around the league. Look at that atrocity last night. But, coming up short against the Packers when you were 15 yards away from winning and 188 yards 1td against the hapless lions arent "bench mac!" numbers...

Mac Jones is the starter unless he looks absolute trash when he comes back and keeps up the pick barrage. He made some great throws against the Ravens to keep us in that game, unfortunately he also made some bonecrushing interceptions which is something he needs to clean up. Lets see how he looks coming back to a team that seems to have settled down its issues in the OL.

I don't care who the QB is. I want him to stay in the pocket, step up in the pocket and not look panicky. Zappe did that last week, granted it was Detroit. Mac can do it, he just needs to do it. He has looked skittish. He needs to stop rushing things. NFL passing pockets are seldom perfect, there will always be some level of pressure. He needs to do a better job responding to it.
Mac can beyond do it, and has been doing it. Line play was atrocious in the early part of season.. this is a new offensive scheme that somehow doesn't utilize the TE position.. just weird.. in Josh's offensive scheme the TE was vital as the middle of field is what helped mac last season

Under Patricia, 50/50 balls and more shots deep down field.. now that Thornton is back now we have a bonfirde burner.. someone to draw coverage.. hard to step up when your interior Line play was bad 1st few games, much better as of late. We just now know we have a capable back up in zappe, because hoyer is what he is.. defacto offensive coordinator.. my theory would be aghlor gets traded, however knowing the patriots they'll trade Bourne for a coveted 6th rounder.. I expect mac to respond!

Mac can beyond do it, and has been doing it. Line play was atrocious in the early part of season.. this is a new offensive scheme that somehow doesn't utilize the TE position.. just weird.. in Josh's offensive scheme the TE was vital as the middle of field is what helped mac last season

Under Patricia, 50/50 balls and more shots deep down field.. now that Thornton is back now we have a bonfirde burner.. someone to draw coverage.. hard to step up when your interior Line play was bad 1st few games, much better as of late. We just now know we have a capable back up in zappe, because hoyer is what he is.. defacto offensive coordinator.. my theory would be aghlor gets traded, however knowing the patriots they'll trade Bourne for a coveted 6th rounder.. I expect mac to respond!
That's what I'm hoping!

I love Mac, but he's a second year guy not named Brady (and Brady wasn't that great in year 2, lest we forget)
Brady led the NFL in TD passes in 2002.

Now Zappe was drafted in the fourth round as third string backup and has his first win less than halfway through his rookie season. He will very likely return a decent pick if/when traded, or give us four years as second string backup. That would still be a good ROI, compared with Hoyer’s salary.
Can we see how his second career NFL start goes before we're flipping Zappe for two firsts?

You just described Zappe to a T.
Feel the rush

Move

Act: find someone open, or tuck it and run, or throw it away, or take the sack

This is what you have to do when you're not just handing it off

The gameplan & play called are all well and good, but they have to be put in perspective when you're out there

Finally, every game is going to have ups & downs, and crucial moments when the result is on the line -usually at or near the end

Those who process all this and execute are the elite

I doubt he really knows anything but Florio says there's reason to believe there is friction between Mac and the coaching staff and that's why Bill is being vague about him being the starter. I really doubt that.

Florio says there's reason to believe there is friction between Mac and the coaching staff
Do you have a link ?

I doubt he really knows anything but Florio says there's reason to believe there is friction between Mac and the coaching staff and that's why Bill is being vague about him being the starter. I really doubt that.
I don't know about friction but I found Mac's answers a bit odd going all the way back to TC. It was weird when he said it's a collaboration between him and the coaches, consulting each other. I don't think that went over well. Then he kept on talking about how the offense had changed, being frustrated, etc. It's been very telling listening to some of his answers to questions.

that Lions game went perfect. Running game went off and defense played gangbusters. Not much was asked of zappe. What do you do if the other team can score and the run game isn't unstoppable. its very easy on the QB if those two things are going and you are just asked to make your first read. Thats not to discount zappe, because he's been a pleasant surprise when you look at the QB's around the league. Look at that atrocity last night. But, coming up short against the Packers when you were 15 yards away from winning and 188 yards 1td against the hapless lions arent "bench mac!" numbers...
I think there's a lot to be said for the defense having confidence the offense will at least take time off the clock and gain field position, rather than have turnovers that puts the defense back on the field in bad field position. Hopefully Mac is taking all that in right now.

Mac Jones is the starter unless he looks absolute trash when he comes back and keeps up the pick barrage. He made some great throws against the Ravens to keep us in that game, unfortunately he also made some bonecrushing interceptions which is something he needs to clean up. Lets see how he looks coming back to a team that seems to have settled down its issues in the OL.
Agree, Mac is far from losing his job. The media is churning things up to generate clicks. They realize people are easily triggered and have short memories.

(Florio's) PFT show

The quote:

“Let me be careful how I frame this because I don’t really have this nailed down yet, but I have reason to believe there’s something between Mac Jones and the coaching staff,” said Florio. “… I think Mac may be a little disconcerted with the quality of the coaching this year.

So we have unstated reasons and thoughts, along with an admission that he has nothing "nailed down yet".

In other words, this is unsubstantiated conjecture, of the kind that he knows generates clicks and thus money in his pocket.

Typical media bull:poop:, IMO.

PS: Why is Florio an "insider"? Just because he has some interesting contacts on his phone? He isn't "inside" any part of the NFL. He's just another mediot. He's never been a part of any NFL organization AFAIK. He's just a guy who made a name for himself by having a popular web site.

Last edited:
The quote:

So we have unstated reasons and thoughts, along with an admission that he has nothing "nailed down yet".

In other words, this is unsubstantiated conjecture, of the kind that he knows generates clicks and thus money in his pocket.

PS: Why is Florio an "insider"? Just because he has some interesting contacts on his phone? He isn't "inside" any part of the NFL. He's just another mediot. He's never been a part of any NFL organization AFAIK. He's just a guy who made a name for himself by having a popular web site.
Same position you’ve been taking in the Brady divorce thread. Not. At least you’re inconsistent as hell. Lol

The quote:

Florio’s insider connections are NFL agents, he does have a relationship with a few of them. Possible he’s heard something from Mac’s agent. Or he’s just stirring the pot.

Florio’s insider connections are NFL agents, he does have a relationship with a few of them.
That makes the agents the insiders and Florio just another media guy.

Possible he’s heard something from Mac’s agent.
He wasn't even willing to go as far as hinting at that, he just said he had reasons and thoughts.

Or he’s just stirring the pot.
That's pretty much his job description, pot stirrer.

I see how you got all my posts removed except yours where you slander me. How convenient.
Not that I want to get in the middle of this but I will point out that "he" didn't get the posts removed, I removed them and looking at it again, the number of posts on both sides is essentially even (about 6 each).

That being said, let's stay with the topic at hand since no one is going to win an argument on something none of us have any control over :cool:

Not that I want to get in the middle of this but I will point out that "he" didn't get the posts removed, I removed them and looking at it again, the number of posts on both sides is essentially even (about 6 each).

That being said, let's stay with the topic at hand since no one is going to win an argument on something none of us have any control over :cool:

Civility restored (for now, at least). Thank you, Ian.

Only hope is Allen being hurt for us to win.. he can't be stopped, at least not by us.. can't rush him he'll run for 10 yards, Diggs is unreal don't know why BB will never double him.. only way to beat Buffalo is to put pressure on thier defense like Baltimore did..
Diggs doesn’t have JC to abuse anymore. Jack is gonna put Diggs in his back pocket by the time they face each other, given how rapidly he is improving. :evil:

Allen is a freak of nature but he will still try to give you the ball from time to time and he will again during one of their regular season games. The Pats can’t squander those opportunities when he does. I’d give the Pats a 20% shot of beating the Bills in their current form. If the Pats continue to trend in the right direction, especially OL and the young pups , by December that number could climb.
Could.

Civility restored (for now, at least). Thank you, Ian.
So, I think I know what we should get Ian for Christmas:

1665776275018.png :)

I removed them and looking at it again, the number of posts on both sides is essentially even (about 6 each).
Computer Working GIF
Working Jim Carrey GIF

Um, so have we implemented a replay review in the booth for you yet?

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back