PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Amendola signed - 5 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldnt you be grabbing some bread with all your whining today about welker. Calm down take a step off the edge we have a guy with better hands now hopefully more reliable. :singing:

Except that I haven't been whining. Clearly you don't know what whining is. As I stated before, I am disappointed. But you clearly don't understand the difference. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and leave.

Except that I haven't been whining. Clearly you don't know what whining is. As I stated before, I am disappointed. But you clearly don't understand the difference. Do yourself and everyone else a favor and leave.

Absolutely you don't lose a player like Welker without feeling some loss.

Players like Wes are special ... time heals all wounds and he'll be fine and we will also.

Then again if he wins a ring in Denver all bets are off.:mad:

Last edited:
Good move.

Learnt a bit about Amendola over the passed day or so. Sounds like a good guy to replace Welker. It sounds like he could emulate Welker's abilities well enough, and if training him goes well then he'll fit perfectly with the team.

All the people that hate this move will be on his D the first time he has a 100 yd 2 td game. FACT

If Amendola provides 80% of WW's production it'll be a steal.

Pats are not a better team today, but his signing does lessen the blow some.

Is there a particular reason that you continue to call Amendola Amadola? I'm wondering if there's a joke or punch line I need to get up to speed with.

No. Because I am tired and I don't spell check my posts.

I am a defender of signing Amadola, but a few things:

PFF sucks
  • Welker plays the slot a heck of a lot more than Amadola. Welker has been healthy and plays the slot exclusively. Amadola can play the slot and outside and has missed a lot of games.
  • To the last point, Welker has had a whole heck of a lot more targets as a slot than Amadola.

All that said, Welker's drops last year especially in key situations is a concern going forward. If last year wasn't a fluke and just a symptom of his aging process, it may be a fairly significant concern going forward in his career.

Rob - to say that Welker played the slot exclusively is false and you know it. Welker lined up all over the place. He lined up at the X, Y and Z positions every game. He went in motion. They moved him all around.

Beyond that, I agree with you.

Though, I do want to point out that Amendola has had issues with Fumbling and it is a concern.

Watched some videos of Amendola,

Guy is ELECTRIC and can do deep routes out of the slot, love this signing. His injuries the last 2 years were not chronic in nature. If he's healthy he's going to make this offense hard to stop.

You have so much versatility with those 3 TE's it's crazy. They'd be fools to not use all 3 consistently.

A 3 TE offense will not be effective.

Rob - to say that Welker played the slot exclusively is false and you know it. Welker lined up all over the place. He lined up at the X, Y and Z positions every game. He went in motion. They moved him all around.

Beyond that, I agree with you.

Though, I do want to point out that Amendola has had issues with Fumbling and it is a concern.

I might have overstated the slot, but he plays primarily there.

10 fumbles in 42 games is concerning. 196 receptions. Every 19.6 receptions. <not accurate considering he also returned kicks and punts but still alarming to say the least. Ridley has carried the ball 377 times and fumbled 5 times by comparison.

This is kind of like Bill Walsh's 49er's, who would cut great players rather then have them end their careers in San Fran. as lesser players. That was before free agency, so I'm guessing if he were alive today, I would assume he would like this move. As someone mentioned earlier, Amendola will be Welker's current age at the end of this contract.

I see people saying they like the move. Does this mean you would choose Amendola over Welker in this situation? I understand people are going to back their team, and that's fine. I'm just curious how much of it is that and how much of it is real.

This is kind of like Bill Walsh's 49er's, who would cut great players rather then have them end their careers in San Fran. as lesser players. That was before free agency, so I'm guessing if he were alive today, I would assume he would like this move. As someone mentioned earlier, Amendola will be Welker's current age at the end of this contract.

But what indications are there that Welker won't be playing at a high level over the next few years?

After some consideration, here are my thoughts on the Welker-Amendola situation

• Despite being sad to see Welker leave (especially to the Broncos) I'm pleased with the replacement given he can perform Welker's role. Note perform the role of a slot receiver.
  • I'm hopeful that Amendola isn't as productive as Welker but can perform the same role required of Welker. It is my hope that will mean the Patriots have a more balanced (i.e. the addition of a reliable vertical receiving threat) and evenly spread offense.
  • It's clear the Patriots were intent on phasing Welker out as the go-to-man early in the season. Hernandez getting injured necessitated the switch back to Welker as a focal point.
  • I'm also hopeful that the spread of money will be used to attract defensive talent to distribute the talent more evenly.
Overall, it still cuts me to the core that Welker is now a Bronco but I'm keeping the big picture in mind. If the loss of Welker, albeit strengthening a rival allows the Patriots to get better as a sum of whole parts, then so be it.

This all make a lot of sense....

...if Welker got $8 or $9m per from the Broncos.

Most of the reaction is about the $6m per he received. At that price, you keep Welker AND improve the D, etc.

But what indications are there that Welker won't be playing at a high level over the next few years?

More drops & fumbles last year.

A small guy like Welker isn't going to be getting any better with the amount of hits to the head he's been getting, the number of times he gets up looking groggy is worrying at times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe