PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alternative View Of Patriot Tight Ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgteich

PatsFans.com Veteran
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
1) Watson and Baker had 43 catches and over 500 yards. This in not insignificant.

2) Crumpler is good enough to have 43 catches, 500 yards, and block better than Watson or Baker. To have Crumpler as our starter removes some of the pressure from the draft and from the incoming rookie. It also moves Greshem down on our board.

3) Perhaps Crumpler is just fine as a starter in our normal 3 wide receiver sets.

4) We do need a backup to Crumpler who plays solid special teams and who would be the 2nd TE in certain situations.

5) The 3rd or 4th round may be a fine spot to find such a player.
================================================
BOTTOM LINE

I still think that Belichick would prefer to increase the role of the tight end in the passign game, expecially considering the weaknees at wide receiver. However, I do like Crumpler, and would be fine with drafting a top receiver instead of a top tight end.

Last edited:
Two Words:

Dennis Pitta.

The guy is a clone of Dallas Clark, why wouldnt you want Dallas Clark on this team?

Two Words:

Dennis Pitta.

The guy is a clone of Dallas Clark, why wouldnt you want Dallas Clark on this team?

How well can he block?

Pitta seems like he'll go high, I'd rather pick up Jim Dray and Scott Sicko at a better price.

why wouldnt you want Dallas Clark on this team?

Because he is a Colt. Why don't the Red Sox want Derek Jeter? Let them keep their guys. Dennis Pitta would be a nice addition though.

Two Words:

Dennis Pitta.

Pitta is my #1 TE choice for the draft.

Mark, you also forgot Robbie Agnone and Rob Myers, both of whom have had plenty of time to develop in the weight room, class room, film room, and practice field to be competitive in camp.

The consensus is NE will acquire a TE in this draft class, mostly because Watson and Baker are both gone and Crumpler is viewed as limited as a receiver. I consider TE a target because I anticipate a shift in the offensive planning partially due to Welker's injury and partially due to O'Brien looking to do some things differently on offense. Reported Visits and Private Workouts suggest there will be a little more ball control and less offensive explosion in the game plans.

Two Words:

Dennis Pitta.

my thoughts exactly. however, i don't know if he'll be around in round 4. i really wish we had that 3rd rounder we gave up for Burgess. what a waste.

If Pitta were a clone of Dallas Clark, he would be drafted in the middle of the first round.

Two Words:

Dennis Pitta.

I tend to ignore Practice Sqaud players until they have some reps or at least look good in the preseason. So sure, Agnone or Myers could make the squad as the #3 TE, iof there is such a position (fine with me).

And, I don't think that the presence of Agnone and Myers changes the need for a starting or #2 TE from the draft or free agency.

Mark, you also forgot Robbie Agnone and Rob Myers, both of whom have had plenty of time to develop in the weight room, class room, film room, and practice field to be competitive in camp.

The consensus is NE will acquire a TE in this draft class, mostly because Watson and Baker are both gone and Crumpler is viewed as limited as a receiver. I consider TE a target because I anticipate a shift in the offensive planning partially due to Welker's injury and partially due to O'Brien looking to do some things differently on offense. Reported Visits and Private Workouts suggest there will be a little more ball control and less offensive explosion in the game plans.

Last edited:
How well can he block?

Pitta seems like he'll go high, I'd rather pick up Jim Dray and Scott Sicko at a better price.

According to the coaches at the SB, he was putting in a lot of effort to improve and making good progress. Could be one of the reasons we picked up Crumpler - to be an on-field tutor for Pitta (who's an exceptional receiver).

2) Crumpler is good enough to have 43 catches, 500 yards, and block better than Watson or Baker. To have Crumpler as our starter removes some of the pressure from the draft and from the incoming rookie. It also moves Greshem down on our board.

3) Perhaps Crumpler is just fine as a starter in our normal 3 wide receiver sets.

4) We do need a backup to Crumpler who plays solid special teams and who would be the 2nd TE in certain situations.

I think you are wildly optimistic about Crumpler's role in the Pats offense. He is not the Crumpler who initially came out anymore. He's a guy who recently tipped the scales at over 300 lbs. I think his primary role will be as a blocker, and any catches we get from him will be gravy. Is Crumpler a #1 TE? Not Any More.

According to the coaches at the SB, he was putting in a lot of effort to improve and making good progress. Could be one of the reasons we picked up Crumpler - to be an on-field tutor for Pitta (who's an exceptional receiver).

Ok, but why not grab Jim Dray and Scott Sicko, Dray is an outstanding blocker and has decent ball skills, and Sicko is supposed to have awesome hands and top-notch speed.

Sicko also has the coolest name in the draft 2nd only to Zoltan Mesko.

Pitta just seems extremely expensive, I'd rather trade down or use that pick on someone else.

If Pitta were a clone of Dallas Clark, he would be drafted in the middle of the first round.

IIRC, Clark was projected for late-1st/early 2nd and was somewhat surprisingly snagged by Indy at #24. It may be that Pitta doesn't have quite the measurables that Clark had (which I don't remember at all), but he's a solid 3rd-round projection now and still moving up. With several teams apparently in need of a very good receiving TE and some of them likely to be scared off by Gresham's and Gronkowki's health issues, Graham's inexperience and ****erson's lack of size, Pitta could end up going in the early 2nd yet.

If only most NE fans knew this ... otherwise there won't be the guaranteed revolt when Bill picks a TE with one of the first four picks. Mike Reiss should write an article on why Bill will pick a TE early in the draft before Thursday.

Ok, but why not grab Jim Dray and Scott Sicko, Dray is an outstanding blocker and has decent ball skills, and Sicko is supposed to have awesome hands and top-notch speed.

Sicko also has the coolest name in the draft 2nd only to Zoltan Mesko.

Pitta just seems extremely expensive, I'd rather trade down or use that pick on someone else.

At the moment, Pitta is still projected for the end of the 3rd, which doesn't seem particularly prohibitive to me (assuming we come up with a 3rd-rounder). He could, of course, go much earlier and become too expensive. In which case, yes, a couple of likely PFAs such as Sicko or Dray would be fine by me.

At the moment, Pitta is still projected for the end of the 3rd, which doesn't seem particularly prohibitive to me (assuming we come up with a 3rd-rounder). He could, of course, go much earlier and become too expensive. In which case, yes, a couple of likely PFAs such as Sicko or Dray would be fine by me.

It seems there's a ton of value at the bottom of this draft, with a 3rd we could grab Riley Cooper, Teonesham*, (I can't spell his name, I suggest we all refer to him as "Nesh" from now on) and maybe Misi.

It seems there's a ton of value at the bottom of this draft, with a 3rd we could grab Riley Cooper, Teonesham*, (I can't spell his name, I suggest we all refer to him as "Nesh" from now on) and maybe Misi.

Cooper is projected for the 5th, Misi for the 2nd and "that Irish guy" for the 4th.

It's actually Te'o-Nesheim, though I occasionally intentionally misspell it as "Te O'Nesheim".

When all the trading is done (and there WILL be some trading), I think we could end up with three picks in the 3rd/4th anyway. Lotta talent there at our positions of need.

That said, the Pats appear to have significantly more contact effort invested in Moeaki (4th) than in Pitta, anyway.

Personally, I don't that it is wildly optimistic to expect Crumpler to catch 2 balls a game for say 300 yards, which is about what Watson did.

However, if Crumpler is a pure Blocking TE, then we need a starting TE who we can count on to replace the reception production of Watson and Baker (43 reception, 500+ yards).

If that is the case, I do NOT see Belichick waiting in this excellent TE draft for 8th or 9th best TE in the 4th round. This is just not the way of Belichick.

Does anyone this that Belichick has some great secret information about someone who everyone else will pass on for 3 1/2 rounds, and who can be counted on to step in a catch 43 for 500+ yards?

I think you are wildly optimistic about Crumpler's role in the Pats offense. He is not the Crumpler who initially came out anymore. He's a guy who recently tipped the scales at over 300 lbs. I think his primary role will be as a blocker, and any catches we get from him will be gravy. Is Crumpler a #1 TE? Not Any More.

Last edited:

If thats true then expect a RB drafted by the end of round 2

If thats true then expect a RB drafted by the end of round 2

I agree, and expect if it happens, it won't be a McCluster type but rather a physical, downhill runner. But if BB thinks he can milk one healthy year out of Fred Taylor instead, that's fine.

Regarding the TE situation, I agree with you that Crumpler is going to be used some in the passing game, especially in the Red Zone. He supposedly still has great hands.

I agree, and expect if it happens, it won't be a McCluster type but rather a physical, downhill runner. But if BB thinks he can milk one healthy year out of Fred Taylor instead, that's fine.

Regarding the TE situation, I agree with you that Crumpler is going to be used some in the passing game, especially in the Red Zone. He supposedly still has great hands.

Crumpler's stats, 2007-2009:

ATL - 25/259, 3 TDs
TEN - 24/257, 1 TD
TEN - 27/222, 1 TD

So, limited, but consistent.

If the Pats go with a 2nd round RB, it's probably Hardesty. But, I don't think they'll stop there. I'm guessing they go back to using a true FB (who can catch a bit) instead of screwing around with the "H-back/TE" thing or using an extra O-lineman/"power package". They could also take another RB in the 6th or 7th. And I'd personally like to see them take Dorin ****erson as a possible Faulk replacement.

The point being that our 60% of our 5-man RBBC is either old or oft-injured or both and, except for Faulk, not consistently effective anymore. It really won't require 2nd-round picks to replace most of those guys and result in a significant upgrade.

Here's what I'd envision:

Hardesty (2nd) for Taylor
-- Trade Maroney to DET for a 3rd
****erson (3rd) as an eventual Faulk replacement
Scott (6th) for Morris
FB Tonga (7th) for BJGE

Keep Faulk for his wisdom, tutoring and leadership.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes