PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

All These Joneses

Actual Jonathan Jones question. Is it possible for him to kick outside? I just feel like the guys we drafted look like they’re more likely to thrive inside. Feels like we have 5 slot CB’s lol

Don't think so at this stage of his career... Too small, too many injuries... If those two straight CB picks had been Jalyn Armour-Davis & Zyon McCollum, then we would all be more hopeful of the Outside CB situation than we are now.

And yet we let Travis jones slip through our fingers for a guy named strange?

What's worse is that we let him slip through our fingers at #54 for a one-trick beanpole from Baylor whom I would Not have drafted even with the pick that Notgoat threw away to KC for the "opportunity" of moving up 4 lousy spots to take.

Travis Jones at #54 should've been the No-Brainer pick of ALL No-brainer picks; and yet...

Jack Jones is an outside CB. Played outside at USC and ASU.

Just wanted to tell you that I was All Aboard the Dax Hill Express at #29... I really, Really thought that's whom Bill was taking there; either he or DE George Karlafits would've been Perfect... I also read somewhere post-draft that Cinci is going to give him reps outside during OTAs to give him a footing there before TC...just in case...

Just wanted to tell you that I was All Aboard the Dax Hill Express at #29... I really, Really thought that's whom Bill was taking there; either he or DE George Karlafits would've been Perfect... I also read somewhere post-draft that Cinci is going to give him reps outside during OTAs to give him a footing there before TC...just in case...

Yes. I assume you remember I was all aboard the Dax Hill express as well. Also Johnson III at 21 (otherwise a trade down) or Karlaftis at 29. I think Hill will be an outside corner before a free safety and a great player, but Winovich and Uche have not panned out (Onwenu did), so being a MI alum is not everything. I think Strange will be good, but underwhelming. BB clearly decided to bolster Mac Jones with Strange and Thornton, Mac should be a happy camper after this draft, but I think our Dline is suspect, and we are depending on rookie types at LB (Wilson is like a rookie with his first year being here). Groh mentioned McGrone at his press conference, so I am guessing they have seen great things by McGrone in practice.

I am not a Hightower, Van Noy, or Collins fan. I am glad to move on, which has to happen eventually, and now is the time. So we have to test the young LBs, but I wish we had a stronger Dline in front of them. There is still time to make adjustments, but I doubt anything other than signing Flowers is going to happen. If true, should be a good year, but 2023 is the real plan.

I'm 10000% on board with Jack Jones being the next great Patriot CB. Kid plays with some serious swagger.

So did Chris Can'ty... and on the 25th anniversary of his draft to boot...
It's cinco de mayo..maybe the tequilla is talking. The YouTube highlights have me doing the 'griddy' across my kitchen though.

Jack Jones is an outside CB. Played outside at USC and ASU.
I just don’t know how I feel about Jack yet. We’ll see I guess.

I don’t mind our total group of CBms, but there’s no one I feel comfortable with being our #1 guy back there.

I just don’t know how I feel about Jack yet. We’ll see I guess.

I don’t mind our total group of CBms, but there’s no one I feel comfortable with being our #1 guy back there.

My post was noting that Jack Jones is an outside corner, not a slot corner, because a number of posters were confused by that.

Our secondary is in transition and I, too, am not sure what to expect. Jack looks extremely smooth and natural which I like. Marcus Jones is an incredible athlete and smooth as well (but not as natural to my eye as Jack). I have noted the same thing in the WR and RBs - they look like natural athletes. It seems to be what we are looking for the last few years. Will it translate? It did with Rhamondre Stevenson. Will it with Jack, Marcus, Tyquan, and Pierre? No idea but I hope so. For sure the prospects might not be the tallest, or the strongest, or the biggest, but they are all great athletes, very natural runners, and have impressive college results (sometimes at smaller schools). I have no idea if their skill translates and am excited to see.

My post was noting that Jack Jones is an outside corner, not a slot corner, because a number of posters were confused by that.

Our secondary is in transition and I, too, am not sure what to expect. Jack looks extremely smooth and natural which I like. Marcus Jones is an incredible athlete and smooth as well (but not as natural to my eye as Jack). I have noted the same thing in the WR and RBs - they look like natural athletes. It seems to be what we are looking for the last few years. Will it translate? It did with Rhamondre Stevenson. Will it with Jack, Marcus, Tyquan, and Pierre? No idea but I hope so. For sure the prospects might not be the tallest, or the strongest, or the biggest, but they are all great athletes, very natural runners, and have impressive college results (sometimes at smaller schools). I have no idea if their skill translates and am excited to see.
There is confusion there including with me …where he played. Jack Jones has a real chance of contributing outside if his mind is right and applies himself.

Jones power rankings
1. Mac Jones
903. Cyrus Jones

There is confusion there including with me …where he played. Jack Jones has a real chance of contributing outside if his mind is right and applies himself.

Jack looks like a real athlete, great hips and movement. Hope he translates - he is our type of player. Pats did a lot of homework. Shrine game coach had nice things to say about him. We need an outside CB. No idea if he pans out.

Marcus Jones can play outside as well. Though I'd bet a majority of his reps will be inside/slot there are matchups he would thrive being on the outside.

Marcus Jones (like Jack) can mirror a route very nicely..stay in pocket and battle for the ball.

Patriots did a nice job injecting the secondary with some confident, tough , scrappy corners in the draft. Add in Jalen Mills , Jon Jones , Mitchell and the safeties and it's a pretty solid group. I still think in due time Jack Jones will emerge as the "top dog" cb. Just need a few weeks in the gym and some time around the guys.

Jones power rankings
1. Mac Jones
903. Cyrus Jones

2. Travis Jones

201. Marcus the Midget

602. JackOff

903. the Virus

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes