PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alex mack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex Mack is one of the best football players in the draft. This guy will produce. He's not the physical superstar of Jake Long, but he's not that far off.

People get too caught up in stats like forty times.

I agree he's gone by #34. We'd have to move up to 23/24 to ensure getting him.

That said, our offensive line played very well at the end of the season. But there are question marks with Neal's lack of durability and Kaczur, well, many of us are still not sold on him.

Matt Light seems to be slowly deteriorating, too. And Logan Mankins might not be around, as he is highly regarded throughout the league. And I don't know if O'Calloghan can last with his concussion problems.

This draft is a perfect opportunity to get the best center to come out in a decade. I still remember the big question mark this position gave us during much of the Parcell years for a while, until Dave Wohlabaugh arrived.

Alex Mack is one of the best football players in the draft. This guy will produce. He's not the physical superstar of Jake Long, but he's not that far off.

People get too caught up in stats like forty times.

I agree he's gone by #34. We'd have to move up to 23/24 to ensure getting him.

That said, our offensive line played very well at the end of the season. But there are question marks with Neal's lack of durability and Kaczur, well, many of us are still not sold on him.

Matt Light seems to be slowly deteriorating, too. And Logan Mankins might not be around, as he is highly regarded throughout the league. And I don't know if O'Calloghan can last with his concussion problems.

This draft is a perfect opportunity to get the best center to come out in a decade. I still remember the big question mark this position gave us during much of the Parcell years for a while, until Dave Wohlabaugh arrived.

I see 2 objections to your argument:

1. We already have a better-than-average center in Dan Koppen. While he struggles somewhat with big DTs and Mack would be an upgrade in the long term, Koppen is an excellent field general for the OL and is not a major weakness. While Mack can probably play OG well, that does not take advantage of some of his strengths.

2. Mack may arguably be one of the stronger OC candidates to come out in a while (certainly since Nick Mangold), but this year is particularly strong for centers, with Wood, Unger, Luigs and Caldwell all presented viable alternatives. Some prefer Wood or Unger to Mack (I'm not one of them, though I think Wood offers nearly as much value and will last much longer in the 2nd round).

So is it worth using #23 for a position which is not an immediate need and at which there are multiple other talented candidates?

Saw someone's mock recently that has the PATs taking Alex Mack at #34 ......back-up for Koppen, replacement for Neal, insurance fore Mankins.

The more I think about it the more I like it.

Thoughts ??

I'd be surprised, becuase of the depth at the position. I actually like Luigs the best of the C/Gs, followed by Wood, Unger, and then Mack. At any rate, I think all four are about equal, with Luigs and Wood likely available with later picks. Antoine Caldwell and AQ Shipley aren't far off either, in my book. I think it makes more sense to shore up linebacker or safety with that pick, or else just take best value, especially if it happens to be OT or DE.

Mack would be a solid pick at 34. I'd have no problem with that at all.

I have to put a plug in for AQ Shipley. Started 3 years as Penn State. Reminds me of Kevin Mawae as far as being a gamer and playing with a nasty disposition, but not as dirty as Mawae, imo. Could be had in round 3, I think.

Unger can play 4 position IMO (RG, C, LG and RT) which is why I like him a little better then they other three top Centers in the draft. O-Line I beleive is an upgrade position not an immidiate need which my have an impact on how BB drafts. If a top OT fell to #23 then I think he should pick them and go LB and Safety at #34 and #47. I think there is better value at #58 and #89 To pick up Caldwell, Luigs, Shipley or even Urbik for the inside.

I have to put a plug in for AQ Shipley. Started 3 years as Penn State. Reminds me of Kevin Mawae as far as being a gamer and playing with a nasty disposition, but not as dirty as Mawae, imo. Could be had in round 3, I think.

Mayock was all about this kid back in January as someone who does not look the part but is a true baller and will be a great NFL player for years.

T. J. Lang

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case