PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Alan Branch Suspended

Status
Not open for further replies.
Becomes legal in MA..and thinks he can go wild...(was probably already going wild)

NFL needs to start looking into changing it's marijuana laws now that what 9 states made it legal and more and more are to follow?
Part of the CBA, I believe.

What a mess this D situation is turning into this season :(

I didn't mean to come across as sanctimonious. To my mind, pot and alcohol are equivalent and should be treated the same under the law and by the NFL. How on earth can the NFL treat a failed marijuana test more seriously than DUI?

Because the players (or maybe player reps) were more concerned about getting a bigger piece of the money pie than worrying about pot suspensions. Which makes me wonder: I wonder how many dollars will be lost to fines and suspensions over the ten year contract life compared to that extra half % they got (or whatever the % was).

just a stupid move by Branch, if Hernandez can figure out how not to piss hot for pot, than I'm sure anyone can.

Weed is a performance enhancer if you're a competitive corn chip eater or competitive binge-watching an Adult Swim show.

Pork Chop on speed dial?

Suspending a player 4 games for smoking a non-enhancing substance that's legal in several US states, includung the state this player plays in, is about as archaic as it can get.

You're allowed to drink youreself silly and see what happens, but smoking a joint in your home, while eating cheetos and watching Netflix is punishable....stupidity.

It's ****ing stupid, they should let players consume weed, the amount of injuries they suffer I think weed is a better alternative than medical drugs which have tons of side effects.

Sure, weed should be legal, and should be allowed by the NFL.

However, it is not now allowed by the NFL, and the players know that. Branch is simply an idiot.

Suspending a player 4 games for smoking a non-enhancing substance that's legal in several US states, includung the state this player plays in, is about as archaic as it can get.

You're allowed to drink youreself silly and see what happens, but smoking a joint in your home, while eating cheetos and watching Netflix is punishable....stupidity.

You realize that players can get suspensions for things as routine as Sudafed, right?

You realize that players can get suspensions for things as routine as Sudafed, right?

Hey, don't knock a good Sudafed high. :cool:

Off-topic: I hope that you feel better soon. The phrase "this too, shall pass" seems oddly appropriate. Here's hoping that the light at the end of the tunnel finds you as quickly as possible.

Definitely need another body at DT, but..does anybody else think it'd be kind of neat to try some three DE sets and push one inside on obvious passing downs? Similar to what Seattle does at times only less athletic.:D

Definitely need another body at DT, but..does anybody else think it'd be kind of neat to try some three DE sets and push one inside on obvious passing downs? Similar to what Seattle does at times only less athletic.:D

They are actually doing that regularly:

Its as light as it can get .. although there were some even lighter formations on Sunday w Mingo for Ninko

Man, he couldn't wait until Dec 15th when it's legal?

Unfortunately, it's a banned substance in the CBA. If they want to allow pot use, they'll have to bargain for it next time 'round. I think they'll have a good chance of it considering more and more States are legalizing it...but then again, the old money owners aren't going to go for that.

It's not yet legal in MA and there's no way around the fact that it wasn't legal when he was using it, and it's not legal at the Federal level. No way around it, Branch made a mistake that is going to cost him four game checks (presuming he loses the appeal which seems likely) and is costing the team his services.

I agree, it should be legal and it should be regulated and taxed. It's far better than the prescription crap these players are using in large quantities.

Unfortunately, it's a banned substance in the CBA. If they want to allow pot use, they'll have to bargain for it next time 'round. I think they'll have a good chance of it considering more and more States are legalizing it...but then again, the old money owners aren't going to go for that.

The problem with the CBA is that the players will have to give something up to get something they want, even if that thing they want is something that should 'just happen'. For instance last time around the players wanted less contact in practices and in turn they gave up on commisioner's power to arbitrate to get it. I hope they don't give up something stupid to get marijuana off the banned substances list, but the standard often used is 'the majority of the players wanted it' so...

Last edited:
Just another season issue .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes