PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ahmad Brooks - Could he be the LB plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoWesleyan

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
Supp draft isn't far away.
Character concerns are definitely there, but is he the type that would be a cancer? He's not going to bring the ship down... not this particular one.

I'm thinking we might we take a flyer on him.
What other teams still need LB?

So?
What would we give up for him? A 2nd?
And what role would he play?
Do you think that he could play the elephant role?

he was projected as a top 3 LB in this years draft..i heard hes pretty fast too

Hes 6"4 between 250-260. id take him..hes athletic and a great player..if he stayed out of trouble..kid would of been on so many team's boards

GoWesleyan said:
Supp draft isn't far away.
Character concerns are definitely there, but is he the type that would be a cancer? He's not going to bring the ship down... not this particular one.

I'm thinking we might we take a flyer on him.
What other teams still need LB?

So?
What would we give up for him? A 2nd?
And what role would he play?
Do you think that he could play the elephant role?

Here's the profile on him. Seems to project as an inside linebacker.
http://football.about.com/od/playerprofiles/p/ahmadbrooks.htm

He has very good size at 6'4 249 and approximately 4.6-4.7 speed.
http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/Profiles/ahmadbrooksprofile.htm

Here is a report on why Brooks was ineligible. He has been caught with marijuana at least once. And according to his coach showed lack of "focus, commitment, dependability" necessary to be with the team.
http://www.roanoke.com/sports/uvainsider/wb/wb/xp-58985

All that being considered I wouldn't risk more than a 3rd round pick on him. He may have 1st round physical talent, but there's a reason his school didn't allow him to suit up last year.

Well, the Pats passed on Kai Parham, another Al Groh coached LB. I think that there are too many questions regarding Brooks and his attitude. Of course, the Pats are the team that could break that attitude. I would NOT waste a 2nd rounder on him. I would offer up a 3rd, at the absolute MOST. Why? because I know we have 11 draft picks next year. Our normal 7 plus the 4 comp picks the Pats should receive.

I would close my eyes and risk a 2nd on him. I'd be much happier with a 3rd. I don't think a 3rd will get him, though.

patsox23 said:
I would close my eyes and risk a 2nd on him. I'd be much happier with a 3rd. I don't think a 3rd will get him, though.

Well think about what you just said. Any time you have to close your eyes before doing something. Would that be the basis of a sound desicion? Usually not. :cool:

Oh here is an informative article on the 2005 Supplemental Draft just to give you an idea.
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/news/i...ll&id=1120620518&archive=&start_from=&ucat=2&

It appears that Wright was the only one selected out of the 9 available and he was a 5th round pick to boot.
I think teams pass a lot hoping to nab a player with as low a pick as possible. I can almost guarantee Brooks won't be a 2nd round pick, that seems way too much of a gamble imo, especially compared to the only guy taken in last year's draft.

Supplemental Draft Rules courtesy of Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft#Supplemental_Draft)

Supplemental Draft
In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. The supplemental draft maintains the same team order from the regular draft, with the team with the worst record in the previous season picking first. However, in the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, RB Tony Hollings was taken by the Houston Texans in the second round of the Supplemental Draft in 2003. Thus in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Texans forfeited a second-round pick).

The 1985 Supplemental Draft was particularly controversial. Bernie Kosar of the University of Miami earned his academic degree a year early but did not enter the regular draft that year. Rather than finish his eligibility at Miami, he entered into talks with his hometown Cleveland Browns, who advised him to delay his professional eligibility until after the regular draft. They then traded for the right to choose first in the Supplemental Draft. This angered many clubs, notably the Minnesota Vikings and New York Giants, who had expressed interest in choosing him in that season's regular draft. Many of today's Supplemental Draft rules aim at preventing a reoccurrence of this incident.

As of 2006, players who enter the Supplemental Draft usually are graded as players who should be drafted at a later round, or who have college eligibility problems (poor academic or discipline issues). Only 32 players have been taken in the past 26 Supplemental Drafts.
----------
In other words the Supplemental Draft works like a bidding system. and you must forfeit the round of the pick you bid for the next year. For example the Texans forfeited a 2nd round pick to nab RB Tony Hollings whose sum of contributions in 2005 was 2 kickoff returns for a total of 46 yards. In hindsight a horrible mistake. Moves like this continue to explain why the Texans will remain in the cellar in future years, not to mention compounding that by passing on Reggie Bush in 2006...

Last edited:
Gut instinct: Brooks to Dolphins

Anybody notice how after the Joey Harrington trade, Saban specifically mentioned that the pick would still be available to them for the supplemental draft? He took Wright in the last supplemental draft, has been opening his arms to the questionable characters of the NCAA, and Brooks fits his defense to a T.

Isn't Wright the fat slob that Saban made cry in last years camp.
As much as people compare BB and Saban and kind of lump them together, IMO they couln't be any more different as far as the way they put together a team.

Brooks has two issues, otherwise, on the field he's everything you want

1) Pot- this won't be a problem, he can go to rehab with Warfield, a vet who will help him get through it, and with strong positive role models on defense including Bruschi, Seymour, and Vrabel, he will be set straight

2) Injuries- Brooks had surgery in March 2005 to repair a degenerative bone condition in his right knee,

overall, i think hes more then worth a second, besides, if we have a good season like many including myself expect us to have, we won't give up a high second, and we should get a 3rd for givens, i think its more then worth the risk

Last edited:
Ahmad Brooks has great talent and ability but his off field problems really worry me. I wouldn't risk higher than a 3rd round pick for him.

high risk / high reward type of deal

Risk - you get a trouble maker..gets suspended..doesnt get a long?
Reward - one of the best LBs in nation last year..hes got good size/speed and is compared to Ray Lewis by some

I dont see how BB would use a 2-3 round pick from next years draft on a guy who couldn't make this years draft. Remember that whatever supplemental pick you use in the Sup Draft, you give up the equivalent of that pick in next years draft. A second or third pick is way to valuable to use on a guy who has some baggage. I don't see it.

Last edited by a moderator:
he wasnt in draft because he got kicked out of Virginia because drugs

I think you would have to look at next year's draft and see how weak/strong it is... if it's a weak draft, then a 2nd rounder might not be too bad...

Remix 6 said:
he wasnt in draft because he got kicked out of Virginia because drugs

He wasn't in the draft because he decided to go back to school. Brooks had been suspended in February for a failed drug test, but Brooks was re-instated. It wasn't until Late March that Brooks was kicked out of Virginia for good. It wasn't announced why Brooks was kicked out other than just that Brooks had violated too many team rules.

At least, that is all that I had heard. If you heard more, could you please provide a link?

Not a chance. He's dumb as a rock. All the athletic talent is worthless if he doesn't understand the playbook.

If he gets his head on straight, he could be a very good player.

He's dumb as a rock? There are lots of different kinds of dumb, you mean he's football-dumb? If there are real questions there, then he's only worth a 4th to us but more to someone else... especially if he's projected to ILB.

What makes you say he's dumb, Rook?

I've been reading around and haven't seen that listed as a negative. I have, on the other hand, heard many Ray Lewis comparisons and that he would have been a top 10 pick at the beginning of last season.

http://blogs.foxsports.com/RaiderJon/2006/05/03/What_about_Ahmad_Brooks

People say he just flings his body around the field http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=498

Video of awesome sack that shows this: http://www.ejbdotcom.net/content/2804.html

Last edited:
GoWesleyan said:
He's dumb as a rock? There are lots of different kinds of dumb, you mean he's football-dumb? If there are real questions there, then he's only worth a 4th to us but more to someone else... especially if he's projected to ILB.

What makes you say he's dumb, Rook?

I would say...that anyone with such an incredible gift as his athleticism...who is so cavalier as to risk an incredible future for a buzz...is indeed as dumb as a rock...

See: Marinovich, Todd

Last edited:
I would say...that anyone with such an incredible gift as his athleticism...who is so cavalier as to risk an incredible future for a buzz...is indeed as dumb as a rock...

thats half the people in the NFL, including players on our roster past and present, remember law runnning from the cops? warfield and his fifty dui's, etc.

brooks is worth a second, easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore