PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

After being benched, Belichick says Malcom Brown needs to be more consistent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting - BB usually doesn't get into any details about why a guy was benched. "It was a coaching decision..." <stares down the reporter>

Have yet to see Brown live up to his quote as being "the best player they've ever drafted", but he hasn't been bad. Inconsistent is definitely the word.

On a few occasions he's looked like a first round pick, but on others he gets stood straight up, and doesn't appear to make much of a second effort to make plays/disengage from an initial block.

But yeah, hopefully he turns it up down the stretch.

I think it's worth taking a second to realize what a draconian standard that is: five minutes late to a meeting?

Does anybody here have a work environment nearly that demanding?

I'm sure there's more going on than just the lateness, but still... five minutes late to a meeting. Imagine if he were five minutes late to practice, he'd have to lose a finger.

I think it's worth taking a second to realize what a draconian standard that is: five minutes late to a meeting?

I'm sure there's more going on than just the lateness, but still... five minutes late to a meeting. Imagine if he were five minutes late to practice, he'd have to lose a finger.
I don't know what you do for a living but, if you're five minutes late to a meeting, it's generally not looked at as a good thing in the business world.

I'm 42 & I have often, in the past three years, been in the meeting room waiting for the younger workers to get there. Because I'm the minority, nothing is said as they all shuffle in late. When I started twenty years ago, it wasn't the case. Oldies care more about time ? "We'll be there" is good enough ? Who knows ? I know I hate it, because my coworkers have decided that their time > my time.

DO YOUR JOB!

And I guess it depends on the position or industry, but I don't consider it draconian at all in this case. There's a limited amount of time between games, and being late to meetings doesn't just affect the meeting organizer, but the entire group as well. It's a waste of time to have to go over material again, and delays can lead to more delays down the road that affect others, and possibly cut into practice time, which is highly structured and measured. You only have a specific number of them based on the CBA, so you can't afford to waste time re-doing things.

And it's not the actual 5 minutes, but what it represents. Your program relies on everyone working hard to over-prepare and focus on every minute detail. You're late for a meeting, what does that say about your preparation and attention to detail?

I don't know what you do for a living but, if you're five minutes late to a meeting, it's generally not looked at as a good thing in the business world.

DO YOUR JOB!

And I guess it depends on the position or industry, but I don't consider it draconian at all in this case. There's a limited amount of time between games, and being late to meetings doesn't just affect the meeting organizer, but the entire group as well. It's a waste of time to have to go over material again, and delays can lead to more delays down the road that affect others, and possibly cut into practice time, which is highly structured and measured. You only have a specific number of them based on the CBA, so you can't afford to waste time re-doing things.

And it's not the actual 5 minutes, but what it represents. Your program relies on everyone working hard to over-prepare and focus on every minute detail. You're late for a meeting, what does that say about your preparation and attention to detail?

No doubt in my mind there's more going on than five minutes. I'm not even necessarily saying it's wrong. Even on his rookie contract, the dude is making a lot of money: he can't be on time?

I'm just saying the guy is a 22 year-old football player, and to essentially bench him in a meaningful game against a division rival that typically plays us tough--ostensibly because he was FIVE MINUTES LATE to a meeting (maybe his watch was slow?)--is pretty harsh.

I respectfully call BS on anyone here who claims who claims their day-to-day is that tough.

No doubt in my mind there's more going on than five minutes. I'm not even necessarily saying it's wrong. Even on his rookie contract, the dude is making a lot of money: he can't be on time?

I'm just saying the guy is a 22 year-old football player, and to essentially bench him in a meaningful game against a division rival that typically plays us tough--ostensibly because he was FIVE MINUTES LATE to a meeting (maybe his watch was slow?)--is pretty harsh.

I respectfully call BS on anyone here who claims who claims their day-to-day is that tough.

I think it's part of building your program and the principals you're trying to instill. Your principles are meaningless if you compromise them the second things get tough. If you preach accountability, you have to follow through, division rival or not. He benched Gray even though he ran for 200 yards. He benched Welker to start a playoff game for not following instructions either.

I'm sure there are people who think those were over-reactions too, and some blame Welker's benching for that playoff loss. But if you always compromise your integrity in the short-term, you don't make it long-term. There's a bigger picture beyond just today. Brown got a message sent, Valentine got rewarded for his hard work, and EVERYONE showed up to work on time the next day no doubt.

Hopefully this will motivate him to achieve the elusive "consistency." The DL needs everyone on board in this era of spread offenses and high tempo. Rotation is essential and Brown brings an ability to rush the passer from the inside that Branch and Valentine don't.

We need all these guys to have the ability to be every down players. Branch is already more of a run stuffer, but his size and strength allow him to bull rush undersized interior offensive linemen. Valentine is similar, whereas Brown has a level of quickness off the ball and a rush move arsenal that changes the dynamic of the DL.

I'm glad Belichick works to get every last ounce of productivity out of his players.

I can be late for meetings pretty regularly because of my position.. I'll have a meeting that goes from 1-2PM, then have to be at another meeting that starts at 2PM across the river, so naturally I'm late to it

It happens pretty regularly depending on the position and culture. At my last job, they started putting a jar at the meeting table if you were even 1 minute late you had to put a dollar in the jar.. Our CEO that created the rule filled it nearly every day

I was asked to put $1 in only once and refused, because I was on the phone with the biggest client that our company had helping them resolve something and I was like 2 minutes late to a "Lunch And Learn" meeting, which was an idea they created to take up our entire lunch hour to cram more stuff down our throats

Needless to say I moved on from that company for a number of reasons.. that company has like a 90% turnover rate

So JPP was fifteen minutes late?

I can be late for meetings pretty regularly because of my position.. I'll have a meeting that goes from 1-2PM, then have to be at another meeting that starts at 2PM across the river, so naturally I'm late to it

It happens pretty regularly depending on the position and culture. At my last job, they started putting a jar at the meeting table if you were even 1 minute late you had to put a dollar in the jar.. Our CEO that created the rule filled it nearly every day

I was asked to put $1 in only once and refused, because I was on the phone with the biggest client that our company had helping them resolve something and I was like 2 minutes late to a "Lunch And Learn" meeting, which was an idea they created to take up our entire lunch hour to cram more stuff down our throats

Needless to say I moved on from that company for a number of reasons.. that company has like a 90% turnover rate

But what if your only job requirement was to be at the meeting?

Praising young studs leads to high contract expectations. Refer to Collins/Jones
Lesson learned.
Bash, rinse, repeat

But what if your only job requirement was to be at the meeting?

Well in my case it wouldn't be possible.. but with the way the Patriots run things, just about every minute of their day is planned for and scheduled, so its a bit surprising he would be late

At my job right now, sometimes I'm added to meetings as a required attendee by a Director or CIO, so regardless of what is on my calendar, I need to attend that meeting and I won't be late for a big one like that.. but it will definitely mean that I'll be late for the one that follows it, or have to leave early if its before

Different jobs, different cultures, etc

Not all defensive positions, but definitely DT's. And in other positions it's not always the best way to judge. LB is probably the best position. It CAN be an indicator. With DB's it helps tell you which DB's like to hit. Of course when you are passing the ball 40 or 5o times a game, the DB's are going to get a lot of tackles

And Dont forget if your safety leads your team in tackles, your front 7 is probably garbage

I was thinking just the other day how different these 2 franchises are. When Wilkerson and Richardson MISSED meetings, it was back page news, but they only missed a quarter or series IIRC, and all was forgiven. Brown just was just LATE for a meeting, and missed almost the entire game, and it was only a side bar comment that no one from the press gave more than raised eyebrow to.

Today Bill put the hammer down..... ever so subtly. Its more in what he doesn't say than what he does. All he needed to say was that "he needs to be more consistent", and be more complimentary toward Branch, and he delivers a strong message to Brown without saying a harsh word.

How many times do you have to say it. There is a reason why they win so consistently, regardless of the roster. Patriot players are held to a different kind of standard when in that building than other teams. And its especially tough if BB thinks you can be special. It is NOT for everyone. That doesn't make you a bad person,, or a bad football player. I beleive it was one of the reasons Hicks isn't here today. It wasn't for him.

As usual it will be interesting to see just how Malcolm Brown responds. He's just 22, but supposedly very mature. It might be just what he needs. I hope so, because he can be special

Now contrast Bill trading away what so many of us considered a cornerstone player in Jamie Collins, with the Rats.

They attempted to placate Wilkerson and Richardson, and now are stuck with underperforming and/or overpaid, diminishing assets that will be difficult to unload, and a team that is underperforming with a locker room in full rebellion.

Well, at least they didn't trade away any players in a fire sale, for less than their widely perceived value.

And now after BB's clueless act, the Pats defense is hitting high gear and playing it's best as we enter the playoffs, and Jamie Collins is forgotten in Cleveland, and unlikely to get the big FA deal he was apparently focused on, rather than doing his job.

BB wants to make sure young players "get it." Starting early and getting praise can lead to complacency. Branch has underperformed most of his career, so BB likes to show how much it takes to really make it in NFL.

I think @farn makes the most important point about being late. You aren't pissing off or insulting BB if you are late. You are insulting your TEAMMATES who all thought this was important enough to be there on time. THAT's why it's so important to be there on time. Football is a shared activity, kind of like the military. Morale is predicated, not only on how you feel, but how your teammates feel. On the surface they might not be pissed at a guy who was late, but over time THAT small and rather inconsequential detail starts to add up along with another thousand other odd details, and if you let them get away from you, they can start to unravel really fast.

No player is above the team, not in the things that matter. Not in the things that concern everyone. Being late shows a lack of caring and responsibility. Actions have consequences, and Brown suffered his. The good thing about BB is that he doesn't make it personal. Once your account is paid in full, you start fresh.

I have always wondered how Belichick handled Lawrence Taylor when he was the defensive coordinator of the NYG. Of course, Parcells was head coach, but I have to believe that Belichick had some input on matters of discipline for the defense. Taylor was a transcendent talent, but he had issues. Not hard imagining him being five minutes late for a meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes