PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Adam Archuleta, UFA

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOWAKJOE said:
I Agree. Hawkins is a servical backup, until RH can come back. Sanders will be fine, with a little more experience.I believe PAt Hill his college coach said he was the best DB he has ever coached.
As for the draft LaRon Landry if he declares, I think would be the guy they first target. A ball hawk with great instints and can tackle. Also could play both safety positions. And is from LSU need I say more.
Good point, our Ss have to be ambidextrous when it comes to FS/SS. I like Sanders, the knock on him is youth, we've already seen how Hawkins (an eight year player) is taking the secondary's reins, similar to what Rodney did (and Rodney had Two veteran Tys to make his initial job easier). I also like what I've read about Ventrone on the Practice Squad, he clearly is making the right moves if he's getting prasie from BB.

Rodney, I expect to be back.
G.Scott, I thought played well before being injured tackling Crumpler.
Sanders also played well before re-injuring himself tackling Mike (dagnabit I have his name on the tip of my fingers and can't pull it up - the big bruising back for Denver, fomer Marine) (it was a sweet head to head tackle, old guard style).
Ventrone is drawing praise on the PSquad.
Hawkins is drawing praise for his transition - we get a good test (as good as it gets before an elite team) against Miami in January to see how well the pass defense is doing.
Stone may not make it out of TC, but I like what he did for us and he's still young and learning.

With that pool of talent and a good draft we have a head start.

NOWAKJOE said:
Not sure if Adam Archulata can play FS. He seems to be more of guy that likes to play within the box. However I do like the idea of moving Geno back to corner. Another option is bringing back Tye Law to play FS or CB. I have a feeling that will happen. As far as drafting a Safety, Laron Landry from LSU, I would think is very high on their radar screen. He can play both FS and SS, and is a terrific playmaker. He is however a junior but may come out early, and we know how much BB and SP like players from LSU.

This is somewhat of a misnomer. BB and Pioli drafted or signed a few LSU players because of Nick Saban being there. Reality is that Saban might have had input on 13 players (not all from LSU mind you) in the last 5 years. During that time, the Pats have drafted over 50 players.

Now, something to think about is that MIAMI is more likely to go after Landry than the Pats are. Especially since Saban recruited Landry. He may be an option, but, he's currently rated as the #1 free safety pick for 2007. If he comes out early, who knows where he will rate out.

That's a real good point about Saban having input on other players we have drafted. I can think of no reason why the Patriots would draft Gus Scott. That's one I feel Saban had a hand in.

Landry is one of the best Safeties to come through the SEC in quite a while. He has the instincts, speed, size and smarts to play in a BB or Saban defense. Miami looks to finish the season 8-8 or 7-9. That means they pick in the middle of the first round. If they take a safety that high, I'd be shocked. They need OT's bad and some DL help. Whitworth makes more sense for Miami and Landry.

Ochmed Jones said:
That's a real good point about Saban having input on other players we have drafted. I can think of no reason why the Patriots would draft Gus Scott. That's one I feel Saban had a hand in.

Landry is one of the best Safeties to come through the SEC in quite a while. He has the instincts, speed, size and smarts to play in a BB or Saban defense. Miami looks to finish the season 8-8 or 7-9. That means they pick in the middle of the first round. If they take a safety that high, I'd be shocked. They need OT's bad and some DL help. Whitworth makes more sense for Miami and Landry.
I'm not sold on Guss Scott. Looked like he was going to be a player but has been so injury prone and even the time he was healthy looked liked a liablity in the passing game. As for OT what about Wesley Brit moving up from our PS. Rosey Colvin had high praise for him when talking to Mike Holey this Monday on WEEI. Says he goes against him during practice and does a good job preparing him for games. Also some draft experts said he had 1st round talent prior to breaking his leg last year. I would think he might be in the mix to make the 53 man roster next year.
Also I agree with your assessment of LaRon Landry is going to be a terrific player. He kind of reminds me of a smaller Sean Taylor, not quite as good though,and I know that BB really liked Sean Taylor but would have had to give up to much to move up to get him in last years draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST