2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What will AD's position be next season?

• ILB

Votes: 22 13.8%
  • OLB

Votes: 91 56.9%
  • They'll rotate him a lot more this season, so he'll play considerable amounts of both

Votes: 47 29.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas is, IMO, better-suited to outside. I think we ALL would prefer he play inside if he could do so in as dominant a fashion as we had originally hoped - since we have a NEED there, and it's easier to find OLB. I just don't think it's likely. Sure, he'll rotate SOME, but overall I think Adalius is an OLB and we'll look draft an ILB or two.

Last edited:
I don't care what else they do, they need to leave AD at OLB. He looked great at the end of last year and in the SB. I didn't even know he was on the field when he played inside. With his speed and strength, he needs to be rushing the passer. Find some other slow poke like Bruschi to play inside and stuff the run.

I don't care what else they do, they need to leave AD at OLB. He looked great at the end of last year and in the SB. I didn't even know he was on the field when he played inside. With his speed and strength, he needs to be rushing the passer. Find some other slow poke like Bruschi to play inside and stuff the run.

Or why why not let the big and athletic Thomas control the middle with his strength, and get faster pass rushing outside linebackers. Athleticism in the middle is underrated. Thomas was batting down passes in the beginning of the year on the inside - imagine an athletic LB like Bruschi was taking away the middle of the field. .

Well thats the problem, I'd like to have 4 AD's. I know some people were down on his production this year but I think a lot of it was the system and I saw some real flashes of brilliance when he moved outside.

If I had to pick one spot though, I'd go with ROLB.

IMO, I think Ad's prescence alone in the middle frees up a lot more people to make plays. But it's really what the coaches think.

Thanks for the #3 option. I doubt he'll have a permanent home in or out.

I believe BB signed him because he's a smart versatile player. His skillset allows him to be used in different ways...dependent upon the gameplan...and status of other personnel.

I hope we'll draft an edge rusher to replace Colvin. If we do, it's unlikely BB will start a rookie at OLB until he's mentally prepared to handle the responsibilities full time -- enter AD. Perhaps the rookie will be slowly eased into the position sharing reps with AD and Woods -- or maybe not at all.

Either way, AD is too versatile to play just one position the entire season. In addition, this versatility allows BB more flexibility in solidifying other roster spots.

Good topic.

Thanks for the #3 option. I doubt he'll have a permanent home in or out.

I believe BB signed him because he's a smart versatile player. His skillset allows him to be used in different ways...dependent upon the gameplan...and status of other personnel.

I hope we'll draft an edge rusher to replace Colvin. If we do, it's unlikely BB will start a rookie at OLB until he's mentally prepared to handle the responsibilities full time -- enter AD. Perhaps the rookie will be slowly eased into the position sharing reps with AD and Woods -- or maybe not at all.

Either way, AD is too versatile to play just one position the entire season. In addition, this versatility allows BB more flexibility in solidifying other roster spots.

Good topic.

^^

This is pretty much my exact opinion of the situation, as well.

:agree:

Also, I think Vrabel is an elite, playmaking OLB but a slightly above average ILB.
AD on the other hand is an elite, playmaking ILB and a near elite OLB.

I'd much prefer AD to shift inside before Vrabel.

First, leave Vrabel alone, he is a all pro OLB. The difference between Colvin and AD:
AD sets the edge and plays the run better(he should,way bigger). But in the pass rush he has no BURST. He has LONG SPEED,but not that burst and technique to get the corner. He is a better athlete, and thats why when you see him playing well 90% of the time its in the 4th quarter!!
I think Colvin refused to play hurt, and was put on IR quickly because of that. I think ALOT of our guys player ALOT more hurt than any of us know. I think BB's use of the Injury report is a joke. Look at Hobbs and Seau....
Groom AD to be the signal caller(Bruschis position) and give him the freedom to move around the line/hand down/etc.. to add confusion. Our depth has taken away alot of the confusing looks our d used in key situations. We need about 6 good LBs, and ideally they could all play everywhere. Lastly, start modifying the safety position to get more athletes on the field.

ILB agree with him moving around to cause confusion,plus he has the athleticism to threaten a blitz but drop back last second to deflect a pass or make a pick.
Really want two premier Linebackers in this draft, Love Groves, like Gholston and am intrigued by Cliff Avril from purdue which is known to bring good pass rushers to the NFL.
Would love to snatch Avril with Oaklands third.

I think Colvin refused to play hurt, and was put on IR quickly because of that. I think ALOT of our guys player ALOT more hurt than any of us know. I think BB's use of the Injury report is a joke. Look at Hobbs and Seau....
Agreed with everything you stated in your post save the above. I played nearly an entire season with a torn ACL and torn meniscus cartilage, but I could not play one game with a foot injury. The foot injury sounds minor and insignificant, but I assure you, it's impossible to run with even a slight hairline fracture on your foot. I'm sure they IRed Colvin because he couldn't run and not because he couldn't suck it up.

Colvin COULD come back

I'm surprised by the number of people saying OLB...I'm still leaning towards ILB as his primary, with a great deal of moving around.

Bumping....Worthy discussion as draft approaches.....

I noticed AD's bio on Pats.com had him listed as starting at OLB against the Bills...interesting, I guess I didn't realize he started OLB before Colvin went down :confused:

With this in mind, a quick look at his game log will show that he had 6 sacks in the last 7 games starting at OLB.

On the flip side, the run defense in those 7 games was much weaker then when he was in the middle.

Bottom line - we'll probably see him play both inside and out. Too bad we don't have two ADs is I guess what I'm getting at.

Last edited:
Bumping....Worthy discussion as draft approaches.....

I noticed AD's bio on Pats.com had him listed as starting at OLB against the Bills...interesting, I guess I didn't realize he started OLB before Colvin went down :confused:

With this in mind, a quick look at his game log will show that he had 6 sacks in the last 7 games starting at OLB.

On the flip side, the run defense in those 7 games was much weaker then when he was in the middle.

Bottom line - we'll probably see him play both inside and out. Too bad we don't have two ADs is I guess what I'm getting at.

It's not simply that the run defense or pass rush (as some have said) suffered because AD moved from one spot to the other. It was the entire snow ball effect that took place after Colvin went down, and Vrabel was dinged up over the second half, too.

Think about it, you go from having Bruschi and Seau rotating, to playing full time, which obviously wasn't ideal. The Patriots also had zero quality depth at OLB, so Vrabel and AD had to be on the field a lot. So, it's no wonder the defense showed signs of wearing down over the stretch.

I still think AD's best fit is at OLB, and his 6 sacks in the last 7 games go along with that believe. He also was among the very few players getting pressure on Eli in the SB. I still think he might rotate a bit though.

Last edited:
It's not simply that the run defense or pass rush (as some have said) suffered because AD moved from one spot to the other. It was the entire snow ball effect that took place after Colvin went down, and Vrabel was dinged up over the second half, too.

Think about it, you go from having Bruschi and Seau rotating, to playing full time, which obviously wasn't ideal. The Patriots also had zero quality depth at OLB, so Vrabel and AD had to be on the field a lot. So, it's no wonder the defense showed signs of wearing down over the stretch.

I still think AD's best fit is at OLB, and his 6 sacks in the last 7 games go along with that believe. He also was among the very few players getting pressure on Eli in the SB. I still think he might rotate a bit though.

Good points and I agree its hard to pinpoint the most glaring weakness that resulted from Colvin's injury. How did you feel AD fared against the run outside?

There wasn't many big outside runs, so....

I think Adalius and a certain young LB off the edge would be ideal ;)

The Patriots best pass rusher in 2008 will be Adalius Thomas. Not only did he play well down the stretch as seb noted he was magnificent in the Super Bowl. I'm certainly not against grabbing a pass rusher/OLB in the upcoming draft I think playing AD on the inside, esp with Colvin gone, takes him away from doing what he does best, get after the QB.

Bumping now that the LB corps has some new additions.

I would now say my answer would be "rotate, but more OLB than ILB", whereas before it'd be the other way around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye