PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

AD on our lack of pass rush

Status
Not open for further replies.
if he becomes a jet rex rayn knows how to use him and he would become a 10 sack guy again

This would be my fear as well. AD's got plenty left in his tank; maybe someone needs to take that baby out on the road and open it up:cool:

It was obvious the reporter implicated AD in the pass rush question, it's no secret we lack a pass rush, but I think it put AD on the spot. There's no good answer and his may not have been perfect:rolleyes: but I agree with him. Our lack of a pass rush is so glaring and AD's become the scapegoat for all of it.

this would be my fear as well. Ad's got plenty left in his tank; maybe someone needs to take that baby out on the road and open it up.

arrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's where you're wrong. In that scheme, he'll just be focusing on one-gap pass-rushing which means no dropback, no read and react. Just go straight for Brady.

precisely! I'm glad someone gets it.

if he becomes a jet rex rayn knows how to use him and he would become a 10 sack guy again

i can see both him and seymour as jets next yr.

No one has posted that AD would be a DEMON if allowed to do so.

However, it is very difficult to be a top pass-rusher if you are not called upon to rush the passer.

I have absolutely no doubt that AD would have more QB pressures and sacks if he were actually was called upon to cross the LOS.

As with Seymour, if Belichick doesn't want him, he'll play somewhere else.

Nobody seems to be answering this, so I'll open it to anyone.....I'm hearing again and again that gee, Thomas would be a Gladiator-style pass rushing DEMON, unleashing hell on opposing backfields if only that moron Bill Belichick would let him. Is that pretty much it? Because I can stipulate a lot of things--Belichick wants to emphasis containment, Thomas (and Burgess) is playing back in coverage more, whatever. What I can NOT buy is that if he were "turned loose" by the coaching staff Thomas would become an animal out there.

Does anyone believe this?

You all want it to be AD's fault and for him to publicly admit it. Why not blame Bodden for the lack of pass rush?

That's an interesting thought. If the Jets signed Adalius Thomas and he still had something left in the tank, and then drafted a good CB to play opposite Revis, let's say Joe Haden for example, that defense would be downright scary to face and a matchup nightmare for the Pats. Revis and Haden to shut down Moss and Welker. LB corps of Pace, Scott, Harris, AD with a healthy Jenkins back in the middle would get a ton of pressure on Brady. Smith and Leonhard at safety is good enough (yes, I think Eric Smith is better than and should be starting over Kerry Rhodes, especially after going to the Carolina vs Jets game and seeing Eric Smith play extremely well).

As much as it pains me to say it, Rex Ryan's system is better than Belichick's. I hate the Jets, hate Rotund Rex Ryan, and hate their arrogance and big mouths. But I have to say the way they play defense is the way I wish our team played defense. Every time we bring in new blood we say okay this guy is gonna solve our pass rushing problem, and he doesn't. Belichick's not a dumb, he knows talent. He just believes in a different style of defense based on bending but not breaking and protecting against the huge play.

Look at the Jets with BB's protege Mangini and look at them with Rex. Mangini played the same type of defense that we play because that is what he was taught. Last year Cassel carved them up for 400 yards in Foxboro! Brady and Co. smoked them in the 07 opener at the Meadowlands for 300 yards and 3 TD's.

The Jets fire Mangini and bring in Rex. The only key personnel addition was Bart Scott. Leonhard is an average safety and Lito Sheppard has been a big disappointment. So the Jets really don't change much personnel, but rather change the type of 3-4 defense they are playing.

First Pats vs Jets game of the Rex era, we lose 16 to 9. Brady was rattled in the pocket and looked scared out there. No Welker definitely hurt, but we couldn't punch the ball in the end zone and the Jets' defense played phenomenal holding us to 216 yards in the air on 47 passing attempts. They forced the issue, brought heat, and hit Brady early and often.

Second game vs Jets of the Rex era, we win 31-14 with Sanchez basically handing us a W. After the game when asked why the Jets didn't blitz/attack much in the first half, Rex says he and the coaching staff were a bit thrown off with the 5 wide empty backfield sets the Pats were using, so they were sitting back more than they usually do. He then goes on to say that at halftime they decided that philosophy wasn't working and decided to shift gears to start getting a lot of heat on Brady. The Pats had a lot of trouble moving the ball in the 2nd half vs the Jets D. They only scored one TD and were having trouble moving the chains.

It's not a coincidence that the Pats have the most trouble moving the ball when Brady is under fire. But we do the exact opposite. We have a pass rush that gives opposing QB's all day to sit back and wait for a guy to get open. You give any NFL QB time and he's going to move the ball on you. Now you give a Peyton or Brees time, he's going to pick you apart. We gave up 35 points to Indy. Next week Baltimore holds them to 17. Our scheme vs Baltimore's scheme. It's obvious to me which type of defense I'd rather have.

Last edited:
You all want it to be AD's fault and for him to publicly admit it. Why not blame Bodden for the lack of pass rush?

That's silly. If he displayed the same pass-rushing production he had in Balt and not been relegated to a glorified edge-setter we'd be be in better shape.

Rather than just say, "we all need to do better", AD took the opportunity to defer the question it to the coaching staff therefor in his mind, removing himself from any culpability from the team's issues. IMO he did that b/c he can't handle his reduced role, feels he is being used improperly and hes resentful because of it- thus the reason for the deferrment of the question that was posed to him.

That's an interesting thought. If the Jets signed Adalius Thomas and he still had something left in the tank, and then drafted a good CB to play opposite Revis, let's say Joe Haden for example, that defense would be downright scary to face and a matchup nightmare for the Pats. Revis and Haden to shut down Moss and Welker. LB corps of Pace, Scott, Harris, AD with a healthy Jenkins back in the middle would get a ton of pressure on Brady. Smith and Leonhard at safety is good enough (yes, I think Eric Smith is better than and should be starting over Kerry Rhodes, especially after going to the Carolina vs Jets game and seeing Eric Smith play extremely well).

As much as it pains me to say it, Rex Ryan's system is better than Belichick's. I hate the Jets, hate Rotund Rex Ryan, and hate their arrogance and big mouths. But I have to say the way they play defense is the way I wish our team to played defense. Every time we bring in new blood we say okay this guy is gonna solve our pass rushing problem, and he doesn't. Belichick's not a dumb, he knows talent. He just believes in a different style of defense based on bending but not breaking and protecting against the huge play.

Look at the Jets with BB's protege Mangini and look at them with Rex. Mangini played the same type of defense that we play because that is what he was taught. Last year Cassel carved them up for 400 yards in Foxboro! Brady and Co. smoked them in the 07 opener at the Meadowlands for 300 yards and 3 TD's.

The Jets fire Mangini and bring in Rex. The only key personnel addition was Bart Scott. Leonhard is an average safety and Lito Sheppard has been a big disappointment. So the Jets really don't change much personnel, but rather change the type of 3-4 defense they are playing.

First Pats vs Jets game of the Rex era, we lose 16 to 9. Brady was rattled in the pocket and looked scared out there. No Welker definitely hurt, but we couldn't punch the ball in the end zone and the Jets' defense played phenomenal holding us to 216 yards in the air on 47 passing attempts. They forced the issue, brought heat, and hit Brady early and often.

Second game vs Jets of the Rex era, we win 31-14 with Sanchez basically handing us a W. After the game when asked why the Jets didn't blitz/attack much in the first half, Rex says he and the coaching staff were a bit thrown off with the 5 wide empty backfield sets the Pats were using, so they were sitting back more than they usually do. He then goes on to say that at halftime they decided that philosophy wasn't working and decided to shift gears to start getting a lot of heat on Brady. The Pats had a lot of trouble moving the ball in the 2nd half vs the Jets D. They only scored one TD and were having trouble moving the chains.

It's not a coincidence that the Pats have the most trouble moving the ball when Brady is under fire. But we do the exact opposite. We have a pass rush that gives opposing QB's all day to sit back and wait for a guy to get open. You give any NFL QB time and he's going to move the ball on you. Now you give a Peyton or Brees time, he's going to pick you apart. We gave up 35 points to Indy. Next week Baltimore holds them to 17. Our scheme vs Baltimore's scheme. It's obvious to me which type of defense I'd rather have.

i have to agree look at what the jets did to the saints in there house they hold it them to 10 points on O that same team could have put 50 on the pats D

No one has posted that AD would be a DEMON if allowed to do so.

However, it is very difficult to be a top pass-rusher if you are not called upon to rush the passer.

I have absolutely no doubt that AD would have more QB pressures and sacks if he were actually was called upon to cross the LOS.

As with Seymour, if Belichick doesn't want him, he'll play somewhere else.

You're connecting the dots but not finishing it.

As much as it pains me to say it, Rex Ryan's system is better than Belichick's. I hate the Jets, hate Rotund Rex Ryan, and hate their arrogance and big mouths. But I have to say the way they play defense is the way I wish our team to played defense. Every time we bring in new blood we say okay this guy is gonna solve our pass rushing problem, and he doesn't. Belichick's not a dumb, he knows talent. He just believes in a different style of defense based on bending but not breaking and protecting against the huge play.

Finally somebody will step forward and say this. I'm not saying I agree, but there it is.

i have to agree look at what the jets did to the saints in there house they hold it them to 10 points on O that same team could have put 50 on the pats D

Exactly. The Jets held Brees to one of his worst QB ratings of the year, 78.9. He only had 130 yards passing on them. He passed for a 158.3 rating and 370 yards on us. If Sanchez didn't throw that pick six to Sharper when the Jets were going in for points or fumble in his own end zone, the Jets had a great chance at winning that game. They handed the Saints 14 points. Take away those 14 and you have a 10-10 game. It's obvious which type of defense is more effective. The teams we've had the most trouble with while we've had an elite offense are the Jets this year, Baltimore in 07, Giants in 07, and the Eagles in 07. They were all blitzing/attacking D's that got to Brady and forced him to get rid of the ball before he wanted to. BB is usually ahead of the curve, but I think he's fallen a bit behind on this one.

1) AD is a very able pass-rusher.
2) In his current role, he is not very valuable.
3) He will be a valuable player for another team next year when the patriots FO decides that he isn't worth the $5M of new money that his contract demands.

You're connecting the dots but not finishing it.

Finally somebody will step forward and say this. I'm not saying I agree, but there it is.

I'm a die-hard Pats fan and I live on Long Island, so I have to deal with all the Giants fans saying 18-1 and I had to deal with all the Jets fans and their "super bowl win" in week 2. I hate the Jets and Giants as much as anybody. But I have to be a realist. Ryan's defensive scheme is much more effective than ours in the modern NFL, and until we can admit that and stop blaming the personnel, I don't think our defensive issues will be solved. If we are going to win it's going to be because we bend but dont break and give up FG's and Brady and the offense carry us.

I'm a die-hard Pats fan and I live on Long Island, so I have to deal with all the Giants fans saying 18-1 and I had to deal with all the Jets fans and their "super bowl win" in week 2. I hate the Jets and Giants as much as anybody. But I have to be a realist. Ryan's defensive scheme is much more effective than ours in the modern NFL, and until we can admit that and stop blaming the personnel, I don't think our defensive issues will be solved. If we are going to win it's going to be because we bend but dont break and give up FG's and Brady and the offense carry us.

Not sure if its true or not but BB's scheme couple with the rule changes maybe doesnt work. Ofcourse its easy for me to comment now with the losses .But we dont have quality/instinctive LB's the core of BB's scheme so maybe thats why it looks so ineffective. You put quality pass rushers and instinctive players like Bru,rodney andvrabel in their prime then the bend dont break defense can cause more confusion and turnovers etc for e.g

As you know, the jets having had a real Super Bowl win since Joe Namath. They need to celebrate something other their cheer J-E-T-S Just End The Season.

1) AD is a very able pass-rusher.
2) In his current role, he is not very valuable.
3) He will be a valuable player for another team next year when the patriots FO decides that he isn't worth the $5M of new money that his contract demands.

OK, then give me #4, as it relates to Bill Belichick's handling of his very high-priced free agent.

Belichick can't handle Moss very well. But I suspect that isn't what you mean.

OK, then give me #4, as it relates to Bill Belichick's handling of his very high-priced free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News