PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Aaron Murray

PatriotsInGA

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I watched him since his freshman year at UGA and only saw improvement in each year. He does have his problems (indecisiveness, INTs), but he's not afraid to take risks. You also have to keep into account how in this last year he was playing with a shuffling O-line and was losing WRs left and right all season. I figured he wouldn't have a chance of landing in Foxboro, but a torn ACL changed all of that. I've read some stories that he's trying to recover to workout at UGA's pro day, but nothing is guaranteed. I think he fits the mold of the succeeder to Brady in the future.

I'm obviously no draft expert. Heck, I think this is my first post on this part of the board. But I must ask, what are your opinions of this Bulldog QB?

I watched him since his freshman year at UGA and only saw improvement in each year. He does have his problems (indecisiveness, INTs), but he's not afraid to take risks. You also have to keep into account how in this last year he was playing with a shuffling O-line and was losing WRs left and right all season. I figured he wouldn't have a chance of landing in Foxboro, but a torn ACL changed all of that. I've read some stories that he's trying to recover to workout at UGA's pro day, but nothing is guaranteed. I think he fits the mold of the succeeder to Brady in the future.

I'm obviously no draft expert. Heck, I think this is my first post on this part of the board. But I must ask, what are your opinions of this Bulldog QB?

My opinion is I HATE GEORGIA! (not the state, the school) Okay, I really don't, but in 2001 my wife and I, along with a couple hundred other parents, were told by the president of Georgia Tech to yell that at the top of our lungs at 9AM in the morning. It took us three attempts before he thought we got it right. Those people down there are nuts about sports.

I don't watch the NCAA so I can't comment on any player in particular, but if you're there and you saw him that's good enough for me. Imagine if the Pats managed to get a replacement for Brady while still playing at a top level of the NFL instead of tanking games. That would give us ammo against the Luckheads from Indy.

I think he'd be a great pick up in the 6th round and I think he could develop into a solid QB I like him a lot for a later round prospect

Not necessarily a huge Dawgs fan but I've been following Murray and every other UGA prospect since 2010 and absolutely love him, hope NE picks him up, favorite QB in this class, favorite college QB in a very long time, while we're add it lets pick up UGA TE Arty Lynch too

I can see the Rams drafting him. They still have ton of picks and some questions marks at QB, even locked in the Bustford contract.

If I was the Pats i'd grab him late in the draft, really late though, I would not be thrilled about spending a 5th round pick on him but unless they plan on resigning Mallet then they will want a backup for next season and they can put Murray on IR for this season if he is not healthy.

I don't see Murray as being a good decision maker. He doesn't go through his progression and get locked onto receivers too often. I think he's a serviceable backup at best.

I don't see Murray as being a good decision maker. He doesn't go through his progression and get locked onto receivers too often. I think he's a serviceable backup at best.

Gonna have to highly disagree here, saw a lot of Murray as pretty much the only CFB I watch is Rutgers/SEC. He gets no more "locked on" than any other quarterback in the SEC. The problem this year was honestly part of the same problems Brady had. He was seemingly playing with new guys every single week. His mobility is extremely underrated and he's very accurate on the move. Arm Strength is there, Accuracy is there, he's probably one of the two smartest QB's coming out, he's got the experience and his footwork in the pocket is exceptional. The only real knock on him is his height, I think he'd be a great pickup for a team like Arizona in the 4th. He's not going to wow you in any one area but give him a talented team where he isn't asked to do it all and be the cornerstone of the franchise and you will have yourself a QB that can win you 10 games year in and year out.

I agree on his mobility, arm strength and ability to make throws. I just think those qualities are minor compared to diagnosing a defense pre-snap and then post-snap and then going through a progression. I stand by my view that he doesn't demonstrate these qualities enough.

I like UGA and watch a lot of their games. I hope he's successful and I'm wrong.

Gonna have to highly disagree here, saw a lot of Murray as pretty much the only CFB I watch is Rutgers/SEC. He gets no more "locked on" than any other quarterback in the SEC. The problem this year was honestly part of the same problems Brady had. He was seemingly playing with new guys every single week. His mobility is extremely underrated and he's very accurate on the move. Arm Strength is there, Accuracy is there, he's probably one of the two smartest QB's coming out, he's got the experience and his footwork in the pocket is exceptional. The only real knock on him is his height, I think he'd be a great pickup for a team like Arizona in the 4th. He's not going to wow you in any one area but give him a talented team where he isn't asked to do it all and be the cornerstone of the franchise and you will have yourself a QB that can win you 10 games year in and year out.

I'll say the same thing now as I was saying at this time last year: way too much gun slinger in him for my liking. If he's too much of a gun slinger for me, I'm sure he'll probably be way too much for Belichick.

I watch all the Georgia games, Murray is more than a capable QB, who will only get better with NFL caliber coaching. Murray's top 3 receivers and top 2 Running backs were all hurt by the time game #4 came around. He still led a tremendous comeback versus Aurburn and only lost because apparently Auburn had the luck of Eli Manning jammed up their collective arses for two weeks in a row!

If they can get a second round pick for Mallett (if not , I'd say kep him), then Murray would be a great late (5th) round pick. He would have easily gone much earlier if he didn't lose all that talent this year.

Guys - just a reminder, but the Pats don't have a 5th round pick. So drafting Murray with a 5th would be moot. It would have to be either with a 4th or 6th round pick.

Well there's one analyst, Gil Brandt who believes Murray will be a steal:
Aaron Murray will be middle-to-late-round steal for NFL team - NFL.com

He compares him character/compete-wise with Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. Add the height (6-1), the inability to show up for pro-day/bowl games/combine, and the injury. And we have a really intense competitor, very intelligent, a 4 year senior, who we could buy while his stock is low.

Best of all he played very well against top tier defenses such as LSU and SC.
I'd take my chances with a late round draft pick on a guy with a big chip on his shoulders.

Mandatory highlights follow:
The Supreme Aaron Murray Highlights (2014 NFL Draft) - YouTube

Guys - just a reminder, but the Pats don't have a 5th round pick. So drafting Murray with a 5th would be moot. It would have to be either with a 4th or 6th round pick.

Well there's one analyst, Gil Brandt who believes Murray will be a steal:
Aaron Murray will be middle-to-late-round steal for NFL team - NFL.com

He compares him character/compete-wise with Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. Add the height (6-1), the inability to show up for pro-day/bowl games/combine, and the injury. And we have a really intense competitor, very intelligent, a 4 year senior, who we could buy while his stock is low.

Best of all he played very well against top tier defenses such as LSU and SC.
I'd take my chances with a late round draft pick on a guy with a big chip on his shoulders.

Mandatory highlights follow:

Kontra is right. Murray is a gunslinger and not really the type of QB that you want in an offense that values not turning over the ball as much as we do. I agree with you that he potentially has a lot of value, I'm just not sure it's for us.

OTOH the Pats have two 6s now and will likely get two comp 6s. If they need to, they should be able to get a 5 if they need it.

Kontra is right. Murray is a gunslinger and not really the type of QB that you want in an offense that values not turning over the ball as much as we do. I agree with you that he potentially has a lot of value, I'm just not sure it's for us.

Well, I'm not sure I agree with the characterization of Murray as a 'gunslinger' per say because personnel, system, matchups, and gameplans can all influence how a QB throws. When a QB throws into tight windows does that make him a 'gunslinger' or is it because his receivers can't get separation, or is it because his OL is not holding their block a half second longer, and forcing the QB to get rid of the ball a touch sooner than he'd like?

The counter argument to 'gunslinger' is that a QB is only a 'system QB' because he only makes the wide open throw, the checkdown, the safe throw. The inference is that he doesn't have the arm strength or the talent to make throws into smaller windows, to take advantages of mismatches down the field. In other words it is very easy to criticize QBs on both sides of the coin.

And to top it off, when examining Murray's college career statistics, I find it hard to back the inference of 'gunslinger'.
Aaron Murray Stats, News, Videos, Pictures, Bio - Georgia Bulldogs - ESPN

Murray's career TD to INT ratio is 121-41. In other words on average for every 3 TDs he throws, he throws one pick. Not exactly an alarming ratio.

Let's also consider his INT to pass attempts ratio. Out of 1478 career passing attempts he has 41 interceptions. That makes for a 2.8% interception rate. Again not an alarming pass to INT ratio.

Can we compare these numbers to a certain Tom Brady for perspective?
Tom Brady Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

In Michigan, Brady was the owner of a career 30 TD to 17 INT ratio. In other words on average for ever two TDs he threw, he also threw 1 pick.

Let's look at the INT to attempts ratio to see how wild a 'gunslinger' Brady was in his Michigan days.

638 pass attempts with 17 INTs yields... *drumroll* a 2.7% interception rate.

In other words Brady's INT rate per attempt was exactly 1/10th of a percent better than Murray's while his TD to INT ratio was significantly worse at only 2 to 1.

In both cases, I expect the players to be able to IMPROVE from their college selves, otherwise Brady would have been an eternal benchwarmer for Drew. But he was different. He was more than the stats would indicate.

Hopefully the same can hold true of a guy like Murray who has likely been counted out by a lot of people before he even gets onto the field. I'd hope with the proper coaching, we could turn a 'prospect' like Murray into a better football player than he ever was in college.

But coaching can only do so much, the player must have the intelligence, drive, and character to take it to the next level. The best thing I like about Murray are the positive reports on those intangibles. Now sure he might not pan out, but I'm more than willing to risk a late pick on a guy with fire in his belly and all the right intangibles than on a guy who is just physically talented but might be a head case (read Mallet). Nothing against Mallet, but the writing is on the wall, he's probably out the door soon for a decent pick and we'll need a new successor to groom.

I still think when draft day comes, Murray's a second round pick. He's got a great body of work, and he's going to interview great. He'll end up going higher than guys like Fales and Garoppolo.

I still think when draft day comes, Murray's a second round pick. He's got a great body of work, and he's going to interview great. He'll end up going higher than guys like Fales and Garoppolo.

he might go higher than Fales or Garoppolp but I doubt it and nobody is going to spend a second round pick on him when they do not know if he will be ready for next season.

he might go higher than Fales or Garoppolp but I doubt it and nobody is going to spend a second round pick on him when they do not know if he will be ready for next season.

Assuming his medicals are clean, a team with a good-but-not-great QB, like Cincinnati, will take him and roll with the incumbent for a year if necessary while Murray buries his head in the playbook.

Assuming his medicals are clean, a team with a good-but-not-great QB, like Cincinnati, will take him and roll with the incumbent for a year if necessary while Murray buries his head in the playbook.

okay but I still don't see them doing it in the second round. Third round, I guess and the fourth round sure but a second round pick was where Murray MIGHT have gone when he was fully healthy and even that is doubtful.

Murray, Mettenberger and AJ are interesting draft picks. I honestly have no clue where they will get drafted. I think if we go for a QB of the future, I think Mettenberger would be the guy, but I don't think we'll go QB. I think Mallet will be here next year

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back