PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A Mere Five Things That I Think (2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldEnglandPatriot

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
1. It's a lot easier being Tony Romo than being Matt Leinart.

Now don't get me wrong, this is not a sob story for poor, unfortunate souls like Leinart who become instant celebrity multi-millionaires upon leaving college. But as I enjoy watching Tony Romo's rise to stardom and excellent quarterbackery(?) I can't help wondering if he would be quite so laid-back - and so successful - if he hadn't come into the league undrafted, and sat in the background for three years.

Romo certainly seems like a naturally loose kind of guy, but it must be a lot easier to be that way when you have come into the league unheralded and been able to learn in the background for a while. Almost any kind of half-decent NFL career must seem like a bonus for an undrafted QB. Romo could have bounced around three or four teams, doing a serviceable, journeyman job, and it would all have been gravy. He had the freedom to fail.

But when you are a number one draft choice, a high profile guy expected to be the franchise quarterback, that luxury isn't there. If Leinart was to have the kind of career I just described, he would be forever labelled a disappointment, a bust. The road to success is perhaps tougher for him and his ilk, and it will be interesting to see if he eventually gets there.

2. QB win/loss records are highly over-rated.

I've long thought this, and was reminded of it by a couple of things recently. Some great quarterback or other - sadly I forget who - was quoted after a game one time, saying 'I didn't do anything and these guys won the game for me'. And on the other hand, Jimmy Johnson stated on Fox a couple of weeks ago that 'You can't win games in the National Football League with Joey Harrington'.

Well, Harrington has been pretty good the past couple of weeks in compiling a 98 passer rating and taking Atlanta to one win and one shoulda-won. His career to date surely has to be viewed in the light of his playing for a horrible, horrible team in Detroit and one abortive season with an imploding Miami.

The best win/loss percentages among active QBs are held by Philip Rivers, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger... and Rex Grossman. Yes, Rex Grossman. Now, do you think Rex would be fourth in that list - or have gone to a Superbowl - if he had been drafted by the Arizona Cardinals or the Houston Texans? Of course QBs can win or lose games for their team, but so can and do the coaches and the other forty-plus players, be they guards, kickers or even punters.

3. Arseholes probably make the best coaches.

First, forgive me for the English spelling. Now, I might hesitate to go quite as far as 'arsehole' in some of these cases, but if you make a list of who comes across to you as the least pleasant and personable coaches in the league, I suspect it will bear a fair resemblance to this list: Jon Gruden, Brian Billick, Bill Belichick, Eric Mangini, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin.

With the exception of Mike Holmgren, that list includes all of the currently active NFL head coaches who have won the Superbowl. 2006 winner Bill Cowher might well have been on the list if he were still stalking the sidelines, and two-time winner Bill Parcells would have been a lock if he hadn't just retired (again).

Its not true to say that all good coaches are arseholes, or that all arseholes are good coaches. But it seems to me that if you are a good coach AND an arsehole, you have a good chance of being very successful.

4. Playing NFL games on different continents not only is selling out the teams and fans, but is also a waste of time.

So, the NFL takes a regular season game to London. As a Brit I should be pleased, no? No.

Why should true fans of the 'home' team miss one of likely only eight games they will get to see this year? Why should the 'home' team lose home stadium advantage? Why should a magnificent sports league reduce a regular season game to some kind of exhibition?

All this, for the sake of selling some shirts and foam hands, and perhaps a slightly bigger TV deal in the UK next time around. You could understand it if the NFL were struggling - even crusty cricket purists have largely accepted the new rock 'n' roll cricket format 'Twenty Twenty' because their game is in desperate need of more fans and more money. But actually the NFL has more money than God and almost as much power - and in this instance it's certainly moving in mysterious ways.

Trust me, American Football is never going to be anything but a trivial sport in the UK and most of the rest of the world. When you haven't grown up with it, gridiron is far too complex for all but the most fascinated/motivated to really get to grips with it. And don't feel sorry for the English fan. If he or she is prepared to stay up late, he or she can see plenty of live games on satellite TV, not to mention having access to EVERY game on the internet - something denied to US residents like me whose apartments happen to face in the wrong direction for DirecTV.

The NFL is a fantastic, successful league. In this era it is already far more accessible to those outside the USA than it has ever been. It should not cheapen itself nor short-change its teams and their loyal fans with any more games outside the country.

5. 'Ocho Cinco' is not to blame for Cincinnati's woes.

No, he really isn't. As a caveat before I start, it's possible that Marvin Lewis's comments about selfish players on his team were not aimed solely and squarely at Chad Johnson. But since pretty much everybody assumes that they were, let me say it again: Chad ain't to blame for Cincinnati's woes.

Chad didn't recruit - nor does he coach or co-ordinate - the Bengals' poor defense or special teams. He didn't draw up the offensive gameplan on Monday night that to my mind tried to run a little too much in the absence of its best running back. He certainly didn't prevent TJ Houshmandzadeh catching ten balls Monday night, and in fact probably helped that to happen.

If other players can't get on with their jobs when one (highly talented) guy has a moan about not getting enough ball or a busted play, they probably are a bit too fragile for this game and this league.

Ultimately, responsibility for most of the problems listed above rests with a head coach in his 5th year with the team, and with the GM who has recruited plenty of players who have been disappointments either on or off the field. Monday night's comments from Lewis struck me as the sure sign of a coach feeling the pressure that Tony Kornheiser repeatedly claimed Lewis is not under.

Good post. Thanks.

MikeThe Brit's ... and Ironwasp's ... and OEP's mastery
of this game they weren't born to - as the rest of us were -
amazes and thrills me quite as much
as naturalized citizens who CHOOSE to be here
... and didn't merely pick the "right" parents.

Their learning curves must have been IMMENSE.

Good points all.

But I really think the foreign game would/should be in conjunction with an increase of season length to 17 games.

good stuff. thanks!

Good post again,OEP,one minor note,I dont think Tom Coughlin won a SB as a head coach,not that I recall,anyway....

MikeThe Brit's ... and Ironwasp's ... and OEP's mastery
of this game they weren't born to - as the rest of us were -
amazes and thrills me quite as much
as naturalized citizens who CHOOSE to be here
... and didn't merely pick the "right" parents.

Their learning curves must have been IMMENSE.

ooooohhh

mrs gomezcat is gonna kick your ass.

Coughlin and Mangini won Super Bowls as assistants.

Lots of great grist, OEP...but isn't Tony Dungy a pretty glaring ommission from the Superbowl-winning coaches list?

...if you make a list of who comes across to you as the least pleasant and personable coaches in the league, I suspect it will bear a fair resemblance to this list: Jon Gruden, Brian Billick, Bill Belichick, Eric Mangini, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin.

With the exception of Mike Holmgren, that list includes all of the currently active NFL head coaches who have won the Superbowl.

Good post again,OEP,one minor note,I dont think Tom Coughlin won a SB as a head coach,not that I recall,anyway....

neither did mangini, but both were assts on SB teams--Patriots and Giants respectively

I would have added Martz to that list as the Rams OC

Lots of great grist, OEP...but isn't Tony Dungy a pretty glaring ommission from the Superbowl-winning coaches list?

i considered him as well, but it seems that most of the world finds him endearing in some sleazy fashion

i considered him as well, but it seems that most of the world finds him endearing in some sleazy fashion

Not talking about the "arsehole" factor, just the Superbowl-winning factor! OEP wrote:

Jon Gruden, Brian Billick, Bill Belichick, Eric Mangini, Mike Shanahan, Tom Coughlin.

With the exception of Mike Holmgren, that list includes all of the currently active NFL head coaches who have won the Superbowl.

(Also, note that OEP's statement did not imply that Coughlin HAD won a SB, as some earlier posters inferred.)

Oops... I can't believe I forgot about Dungy being a currently active Superbowl winning head coach. I guess I must still be in denial about last year's AFC Championship game...

And no, Coughlin hasn't won a Superbowl as a head coach nor did I suggest he had. (He has, however, taken an expansion team to the playoffs in its second season and on to two AFC Championship games and delivered the first back-to-back playoff seasons for the NYG since god knows when).

ooooohhh

mrs gomezcat is gonna kick your ass.

Aarrggghhhh !
I fear i am undone !

Just KNEW i was overlooking someone or sometwo.
But that it should be one of favorite reads ... who, sadly, keeps himself less visible here than he should!

Perhaps i can beg a measure of clemency
by pointing out that g-cat's fair lady
invariably appears here as Ms Gomezcat (not the dreaded Mrs.).

Also, Joe Gibbs is omitted from the list....granted he won the SB years ago, but he still won it and he is currently active.

He's also a pleasant and personable guy, although back when he was a much more successful coach, he was far less "soft".

Also, Joe Gibbs is omitted from the list....granted he won the SB years ago, but he still won it and he is currently active.

He's also a pleasant and personable guy, although back when he was a much more successful coach, he was far less "soft".

well then...that dork in san diego also has SB bling...and RAC...and Marvin Lewis...etc etc etc...

I disagree with the QB winning percentage argument. Very strongly in fact.
Of course, you have to base it on LONG TERM, so the Grossman argument is irrelevant IMO.

Lets look at the greatest QBs of all-time (based on winning and winning championships)

Almost every one of them came to a terrible team and they became good BECAUSE OF THE QB.

Tom Brady. Patriots had declined for 4 straight years. Were 5-13 in the last 18 games before Brady took over. Went 15-3 in his first 18, and, as they say, the rest is history.

Joe Montana. Drafted by the worst team in the NFL. Back to back 2-14s. Went 6-10 with Montana playing part of the season his first year playing, won the SB the next year.

Terry Bradshaw. Drafted by the worst team in the NFL. Won 4 SBs with him. Won their next 25 years after he retired.

Troy Aikman. Drafted by the worst team in the NFL. 1-15. Won 3 SBs with him, have not been back (or close) since he retired.

Brett Favre. Went to a team that was out of the playoffs all but 1 or 2 of the last 25 years before he became the starter. Immediate made playoffs, stayed there, and went to 2 SBs winning 1.

Roger Staubach. (Brady is ready to tie for best win %in first 100 starts) Took over for Craig Morton on a team that was reknowned for choking in big games. (IIRC, they never won a playoff game before Staubach, but that could be wrong) Won 2 SBs and became a dominant franchise.

Bob Griese. Drafted by the worst team in the NFL. Expansion team that was horrible. Was undefeated and won 2 SBs within 5 years.

Peyton Manning. Drafted by the worst team in the NFL. By year 2 had them in the playoffs. Took him 8 years to get over choking in the big game, then won a SB.

You could add Phil Simms who was drafted by a beleaguered Giant franchise that was 20 years removed from winning anything, and made them perennial contenders, and 2 time SB Champs (although he was injured for 1). You could add Jim Kelly who went to the worst team in the NFL, and made them into the biggest 'almost winners' gettingto 4 SBs and losing them all. You could add Elway who went to a very bad Denver team, and made them contenders, ultimatley winning 2 SBs and setting the record for most wins until broken by favre.

The reality is all just about all of the greatest winning QBs in NFL history started on teams that were terrible. THEY were the reason that their teams became good.

I cannot think of a single QB who would be considered an 'all-time winner' who started with a team that was already good.

This is one of the biggest misconceptions in the NFL. QBs do not win big because they are lucky to get on good teams, they win big because they ARE THE REASON THEIR PREVIOUSLY AWFUL TEAM BECOMES GOOD.

The best example of a QB going to a good team was Marino, and he will go down in history as the best example of the guy who couldn't win the big one, and he did it with a franchise that had been to 4 SBs and won 2 of them in the 11 years before he arrived, including having played in the SB a couple of years before with DAVID WOODLEY at QB.

1. It's a lot easier being Tony Romo than being Matt Leinart.

Now don't get me wrong, this is not a sob story for poor, unfortunate souls like Leinart who become instant celebrity multi-millionaires upon leaving college. But as I enjoy watching Tony Romo's rise to stardom and excellent quarterbackery(?) I can't help wondering if he would be quite so laid-back - and so successful - if he hadn't come into the league undrafted, and sat in the background for three years.

Romo certainly seems like a naturally loose kind of guy, but it must be a lot easier to be that way when you have come into the league unheralded and been able to learn in the background for a while. Almost any kind of half-decent NFL career must seem like a bonus for an undrafted QB. Romo could have bounced around three or four teams, doing a serviceable, journeyman job, and it would all have been gravy. He had the freedom to fail.

But when you are a number one draft choice, a high profile guy expected to be the franchise quarterback, that luxury isn't there. If Leinart was to have the kind of career I just described, he would be forever labelled a disappointment, a bust. The road to success is perhaps tougher for him and his ilk, and it will be interesting to see if he eventually gets there.

This is a no brainer.....Romo is/was "dating" Carrie Underwood (yummers)......Leinart has been linked to Paris Hilton (bleeech)...so yes...it is much better to be Tony Romo...but not as good as it is being Tom (Giselle) Brady!

4. Playing NFL games on different continents not only is selling out the teams and fans, but is also a waste of time.

So, the NFL takes a regular season game to London. As a Brit I should be pleased, no? No.

Why should true fans of the 'home' team miss one of likely only eight games they will get to see this year? Why should the 'home' team lose home stadium advantage? Why should a magnificent sports league reduce a regular season game to some kind of exhibition?

All this, for the sake of selling some shirts and foam hands, and perhaps a slightly bigger TV deal in the UK next time around. You could understand it if the NFL were struggling - even crusty cricket purists have largely accepted the new rock 'n' roll cricket format 'Twenty Twenty' because their game is in desperate need of more fans and more money. But actually the NFL has more money than God and almost as much power - and in this instance it's certainly moving in mysterious ways.

Trust me, American Football is never going to be anything but a trivial sport in the UK and most of the rest of the world. When you haven't grown up with it, gridiron is far too complex for all but the most fascinated/motivated to really get to grips with it. And don't feel sorry for the English fan. If he or she is prepared to stay up late, he or she can see plenty of live games on satellite TV, not to mention having access to EVERY game on the internet - something denied to US residents like me whose apartments happen to face in the wrong direction for DirecTV.

The NFL is a fantastic, successful league. In this era it is already far more accessible to those outside the USA than it has ever been. It should not cheapen itself nor short-change its teams and their loyal fans with any more games outside the country.

I am in 100% agreement. It is an insult that regular-season games are played in foreign countries, thus denying one team of home-field advantage. It would be doubly insulting if one of those games were to be held in Red China, the world's largest dictatorship.

Let the pre-season games be staged outside the US, if the league wants. And to those who advocate adding one more regular-season game to the schedule, my reply is: aren't these players injuring each other enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST