PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

A bigger impact for the defense: Dashon Goldson or Aqib Talib?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick reportedly is okay with Tavon Wilson being a starter next season. I assume he doesn't feel the same way about Ras-I Dowling.

And I feel bad for the team that pays Goldson big money. It's going to be hard for him to be such an impact player without the aid of that ridiculous front 7.

Then why don't we build a ridiculous front 7? We have a lot of the pieces already.

which would be a bigger impact? Dashon Goldson orAqib Talib?

Then why don't we build a ridiculous front 7? We have a lot of the pieces already.

IMO all we need is an interior rusher and an upgrade on Ninko and its a top 3 front.

Of course, "all we need" lol

In today's NFL, there's an argument for picking four of the 49ers' front 7 players over any of the Pats'. The Pats can definitely have a very good front 7, but they're never going to be on the level of last year's 49ers team.

In today's NFL, there's an argument for picking four of the 49ers' front 7 players over any of the Pats'. The Pats can definitely have a very good front 7, but they're never going to be on the level of last year's 49ers team.
I'm a huge fan of Justin Smith but he's no Vince Wilfork. I also believe Jerod Mayo is every bit as good as Patrick Willis. I'm torn between the need to address the front 7 or the secondary first.

I'm a huge fan of Justin Smith but he's no Vince Wilfork. I also believe Jerod Mayo is every bit as good as Patrick Willis. I'm torn between the need to address the front 7 or the secondary first.

I'll admit I haven't seen a ton of 49er games, but one thing that stands out between the two is 52's coverage skills, IMO 51 isn't as complete a player as 52 is...yet.

Alright lets relax a little bit. I think Mayo is better than people give him credit for but he is no Patrick Willis.

My hope is Patriots sign one (or both).

But, which would improve Pats-D better?

For me, it would be Goldson, as we were very weak in the middle...

Good question, I would say Talib. He made a noticeable difference when he was on the field. There is reasonable depth at Safety but an absolute black hole at CB.

Dashon Goldson!! Him and McCourty would make a good, if not great safety combo. I know alot of people want Ed Reed here, but in my eyes Goldson is probably the best player in FA that makes sense for us. Safety been such a weak spot for us for YEARS, I think its time the team finally addresses that.

Patrick Willis is by far the best and most complete LB in football. Mayo good, maybe top 5, but hes not Willis

Of course I'm going to be wrong as per usual but I fully expect Belichick to take Matt Elam in the draft so I don't expect to see us sign anybody for that position in FA.

Patrick Willis is by far the best and most complete LB in football. Mayo good, maybe top 5, but hes not Willis
But he is better than Bowman

I don't buy this for a second. That's from Bedard a day after he came here and told us that he didn't have info on the situation. BB watched the same Wilson everyone else did last year. That kid wasn't anywhere near ready.
That was before I came across more information at the combine (I may not have an answer one day, but I'm always working to find those answers). I was told they are going forward with McCourty and Wilson. But I couldn't tell if it was a smokescreen or not so they could lay in the weeds for another safety. Always a possibility. But that's what I was told.

No offense to Tavon - but I'm hoping smokescreen.

Greg, any idea what the team thinks of Gregory's performance this year?

Talib and to me it isn't even close. Pats pass defense is night and day when Talib is on the field vs. when he's not. Pass coverage isn't a strength of Goldson.

Talib and to me it isn't even close. Pats pass defense is night and day when Talib is on the field vs. when he's not. Pass coverage isn't a strength of Goldson.

It's not as simple as Talib. It's all about value over replacement.

Dennard on the outside >> McCourty on the outside
Talib on the outside >>>>> Arrington on the outside
Arrington in the slot >>>>>>>>>>> Cole in the slot
McCourty at safety >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other safety the Patriots have

Cumulatively, it has a huge effect. But how much of it is Talib? I wouldn't say he's responsible for that much. If the Patriots get one good starting outside corner, one nickel corner, one more depth piece, they'll be in good shape. If Talib is that starting outside corner, so be it.

Talib's injury in the AFCCG caused a chain reaction that inevitably caught up to the team once the offense blew too many chances to take control of the game.

I hope it works out this way. There are other CB's available in FA and the draft is pretty good for CB's. By having our Safety position taken care of we can fill more holes. Wilson has a lot of pressure on him this year, hope he is up for it.

That was before I came across more information at the combine (I may not have an answer one day, but I'm always working to find those answers). I was told they are going forward with McCourty and Wilson. But I couldn't tell if it was a smokescreen or not so they could lay in the weeds for another safety. Always a possibility. But that's what I was told.

Thanks for the followup, and I appreciate you checking into it. I still don't buy the idea that they're all for Wilson as the starter, though. They had to see the same Tavon Wilson we all did, because it seemed pretty clear that he's nowhere near ready. His snaps in the playoffs certainly indicate that they saw the same thing, and I don't see BB risking another season on subpar DB play.

It's not as simple as Talib. It's all about value over replacement.

Dennard on the outside >> McCourty on the outside
Talib on the outside >>>>> Arrington on the outside
Arrington in the slot >>>>>>>>>>> Cole in the slot
McCourty at safety >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any other safety the Patriots have

Cumulatively, it has a huge effect. But how much of it is Talib? I wouldn't say he's responsible for that much. If the Patriots get one good starting outside corner, one nickel corner, one more depth piece, they'll be in good shape. If Talib is that starting outside corner, so be it.

Talib's injury in the AFCCG caused a chain reaction that inevitably caught up to the team once the offense blew too many chances to take control of the game.

You illustrated my point exactly. I mean the same could be said if a healthy Revis was an option somehow. But Talib coming into the team changed the secondary dramatically. He represents basically the need for a stud CB, so I agree it doesn't necessarily have to be him. But his spot needs to get filled and not with another Otis Smith type.

Greg, would you agree that the safety position needs to be addressed? And if so do you see them splashing big on FA or draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes