PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

933 yards passing, 62 points: is this what the NFL has come to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this what the NFL has come to? Basketball in pads?
I hear offensive stats are down this year in MLB. Perhaps you'd be happier switching from a football fan to a baseball fan? :rolleyes:

Yes, that is what the Colts wanted.Just a shame, that they have no QB for this happy passing league anymore. Just a bitter pill for all the RBs in the league.

Last edited:
I hear offensive stats are down this year in MLB. Perhaps you'd be happier switching from a football fan to a baseball fan? :rolleyes:

I've been a football fan since I was old enough to walk; baseball bores me. So, you're happy with how the game has become heavily slanted in favor of offense?

Yes, it is what the NFL has come to. Polian complained about defenders doing their job. I miss the Pats D of old, but with the way flags get thrown for sneezing in the general direction of someone, it is probably best that they are built for offense now.

I think the "offensive slant" has been exaggerated in many people's minds. One week of the NFL is the trigger for this thread, and one week means nothing, doubly so when it's week 1. And the anti-Goodell and anti-Colts sentiment just makes it worse. I am fine with the balance now, I have no doubt later this season we will be watching some games which will be primarily defensive struggles.

Re: 933 yards passing ... 62 points ...

Interesting factoid. Brady's 500+ made me look up a classic matchup I watched between young namath and old Unitas where they threw for 496 and 376 yds respectively.

What I hadn't noticed is Namath threw only 15 completions.

check this stat line

15-28...6 touchdowns 33 yds per catch.

That's a pretty efficient 15 passes.

Just so people who question his HOF credentials, he was not an average player even if his totals were average.

Timmy Smith rushed for 204 yards on 22 carries in the Super Bowl nonetheless. One game doesn't make a HOF player.

The trend is bigger receivers, whether wide receiver or tight end.

It will be like this until high school coaches start playing some tall guys at defensive back.

There is just no way for a 5'9" guy to effectively cover someone like Gronk.

Though possession guys like Welker and Branch are on just about every team, it's the monsters like Gronk that are putting up the big numbers.

The league will eventually evolve to 6'5" d-backs against 6'5" receivers, and then the rules committee will do something else to bring back the high scoring.

Yes, it's basketball in pads, and the NFL loves it.

Yes, it is what the NFL has come to. Polian complained about defenders doing their job. I miss the Pats D of old, but with the way flags get thrown for sneezing in the general direction of someone, it is probably best that they are built for offense now.

Well maybe the pendulum is swing back slightly. In the handful of game I saw (Pats, Jets, Eagles, and Skins) I thought the refs were allowing more contact by the DBs than in past years. Certainly it does seem like Revis is allowed a whole nother level of contact than the rest of the CBs in the league, but it will be interesting to see if it continues

Re: 933 yards passing ... 62 points ...

How's it feel to have the 4th best QB in the division? Only way Sanchize makes that combined pass yards list list is if Brady throws for 700.

Fourth?

Brady
Mallett
Fitzy
Henne
Sanchez

Fifth by my count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes