PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

933 yards passing, 62 points: is this what the NFL has come to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 933 yards passing ... 62 points ...

Facts are hard.

==================================================

Pats won big tonight, enjoy the great win.

I'm not going to harsh the mellow with defending my team. Tonight.

Most combined passing yards, game 906, Tom Brady 517, Chad Henne 389 September 12, 2011

dont know that i trust wiki on this one. I seem to recall a boomer esiason game back in the day vs either montana or marino that both QBs were over 450.

hell there was a marino pats game shootout now that I think about it too. Didnt the squish the fish game have an absurd yd total?

dont know that i trust wiki on this one. I seem to recall a boomer esiason game back in the day vs either montana or marino that both QBs were over 450.

hell there was a marino pats game shootout now that I think about it too. Didnt the squish the fish game have an absurd yd total?

=======================================================

I believe it is accurate.

From kenny O's wiki page that has not been updated yet.

Ken O'Brien - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
. He is the only quarterback to pass for 400 or more yards (431) in a game and earn a perfect NFL 158.3 rating. O'Brien is also the holder of another NFL record, combining for 927 (884 net) yards passing with Dan Marino. O'Brien went to the Pro Bowl two times, in 1985 and 1991.
[edit]

-------------------------------------------

I watched a UTube of the game just a week or 2 ago, if any one is interested I will post the link, was a 5 minute vid.

Last edited:

This is the record because that game had less than 900 yards passing once sacks were taken into account.

I must have missed the Ravens Defense destroying a very good Steelers Offense this weekend.

This is the record because that game had less than 900 yards passing once sacks were taken into account.

well, i guess it is a good thing our D failed so miserably at taking henne down in the pocket ;) so TB can get another record. :D

Scoring up in Week 1 2011 v. 2010

Factoid #1: the Patriots won their Week 1 game by the same score, 38-24, as last year.

Factoid #2: last year, the 16 games had a combined score of 585 points. This year, they combined for 747 points. . . .

I don't know if it means anything, but it's a rather dramatic departure (~10 points/game).

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Semi-OT: Scoring Week 1 2011 v. 2010

The remarkable thing is that the refs seemed to be calling PI less all weekend, and offensive holding perhaps a bit more.

I wonder if the scoring outburst has to do with the weird offseason? E.g. if conditioning is worse leaguewide, that might favor offenses.

Lack of contact practices have led to higher scoring

That's my theory. There should really be no other reason.

TD are always reviewed now, which can take away would-be-TD's.

Kickoffs are moved 5 yards up, which hurts field position and returning capabilities.

Some people say its the shortened off-season, and I agree that might have something to do with the increased scoring.

But the lack of padded practices and contact in practices is the main culprit. Defenders just arent used to hitting and playing hard since they cant hit as much in practices anymore.

Re: Lack of contact practices have led to higher scoring

My theory would be lack of off season conditioning has played a larger role. Defenses tire quicker than offenses. Out of shape defenses has led to higher scoring games.

I think the NFL is trying to expand its fan base by taking advantage of the NBA lockout.

Sound theory but you're going to need more than a week of games to have any clue what's going to happen this season.

I mean theoretically the Dolphins should have been fresh as daisies heading into that game and I haven't seen that much oxygen being used since wandering into the Bingo room at Foxwoods.

Through all of the the 2010 regular season, teams scored an average of 22.0 points per game.

In Week 1 of this season, they averaged 22.8 points per game.

This is easily within the expected variation you'd see from week to week. So far, there's no suggestion that scoring is up in the NFL.

Through all of the the 2010 regular season, teams scored an average of 22.0 points per game.

In Week 1 of this season, they averaged 22.8 points per game.

This is easily within the expected variation you'd see from week to week. So far, there's no suggestion that scoring is up in the NFL.

How about passing yards?

How about passing yards?

But would increased passing yards prove his theory? Pass coverage practice shouldn't be that much different with or without pads.

I would expect the difference to show up most in bad run tackling.

I agree w/Tunescribe. Because of the 2-headed monstrosity of NaPolian & the Omissioner,
they have indeed legislated defense out of the NFL, in the bogus name of "player safety"
(meaning Offensive player safety, and money, that is).

Some - or many - may have found Thursday's game btwn GB & NO quite entertaing & exciting;
I, however, found it boring & predictable, and a joke - Arena League pabulum.

This game was just the latest example, Brady's masterful performance notwithstanding. Defense has all but been legislated out of the NFL.

Yeah, because it has nothing to do with the fact that defenses have had about 3 weeks of practices.

I agree w/Tunescribe. Because of the 2-headed monstrosity of NaPolian & the Omissioner,
they have indeed legislated defense out of the NFL, in the bogus name of "player safety"
(meaning Offensive player safety, and money, that is).

Some - or many - may have found Thursday's game btwn GB & NO quite entertaing & exciting; I, however, found it boring & predictable, and a joke - Arena League pabulum.

Me too! I was afraid to post my feelings about that game figuring I'd get "shouted down" here. But that game was pitch-and-catch up and down the field all night.

The facts from week one: there were 14 quarterbacks surpassing 300 yards, and 13 games OVER the Vegas over/under. What we're seeing is Polian-Goodell syndrome combined with fantasy football/video game mentality. It's gotten to where defensive backs have little choice but to let receivers catch the ball and try to minimize YAC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back