PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

7th Pick In Draft...Use it OR Trade it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If a stud is there at #7, we'll take him. If not, we won't get much for moving down. However, if our stud isn't there, I would certainly be fine moving down as long as it is the top 15. We need the 6-year deal.

But, you asked for gut feel. Mine is keep the pick. Pick a lineman or tweener, and use our next two picks on corners, moving up as needed.

If a stud is there at #7, we'll take him. If not, we won't get much for moving down. However, if our stud isn't there, I would certainly be fine moving down as long as it is the top 15. We need the 6-year deal.

But, you asked for gut feel. Mine is keep the pick. Pick a lineman or tweener, and use our next two picks on corners, moving up as needed.

Depends what position the stud plays. For example, if Ryan or McFadded has slipped, that pick becomes even more attractive to other teams than before. The only player I see BB taking at #7 is Chris Long (maybe Gholston), otherwise I think we'll trade down as the rest of the blue chippers don't really fill a need on this team.

IMHO, we'll take anyone named Long, and maybe even Gholston or Clady. I think that we would move UP for Chris Long.

Depends what position the stud plays. For example, if Ryan or McFadded has slipped, that pick becomes even more attractive to other teams than before. The only player I see BB taking at #7 is Chris Long (maybe Gholston), otherwise I think we'll trade down as the rest of the blue chippers don't really fill a need on this team.

According to most "experts" ryan is a better pro prospect than brady quinn was. McShay was on ESPN last night comparing Ryan to Eli Manning, Rothelisburger, and Rivers. He's head and shoulders above any other QB prospect in this draft and most likely will be gone before the Pats draft at 7. I think if any team is seriously considering a second tier QB it will be Flacco from Deleware becasue of his size and arm strength.

Maybe so. I didn't really watch the kid much, just heard about him late in the season. It's just that I don't see him going that high for some reason. There's too much skill in the trenches and other positions for teams to seriously consider Ryan that early in the draft. But that's just me.

Flacco has definitely been solid, from what I've heard. He'll probably go in the second or late first, maybe depending on his workouts. I know some fans (there's an Atlanta fan I talk with once in a while) who want Chad Henne in the second, too.

we never meant for the san fran pick to be so high. trade down.

take a cornerback and hope it works out as well as the maroney or the merriweather picks.

then in the 2nd round my gut wants an OT after the superbowl, even though our line's been good through out the year.

Coming from an unbiased perspective, I would think that the smart money would be to trade down. There are rumors that McFadden could slip past Oakland, being that they need help on the offensive and defensive line more than at running back.

I think that Jerry Jones would probably drool at the mouth knowing he's got his two first rounders. A straight up trade for the two number ones helps you address the areas of corner (Talib) and at linebacker (Connor). I'm sure it wont happen, but I would think that would be a really ideal situation.

I think I'd be tempted to trade down to near the end of the first round and pick up someone like Rivers, Connor, or Lofton to bolster the LB core. Get a #3 and a #5 in return. Of course you'd have to find a team that really wants to jump that high and I'm not sure any elite players will be around still at #7... but they keep talking about McFadden falling....

I think I'd be tempted to trade down to near the end of the first round and pick up someone like Rivers, Connor, or Lofton to bolster the LB core. Get a #3 and a #5 in return. Of course you'd have to find a team that really wants to jump that high and I'm not sure any elite players will be around still at #7... but they keep talking about McFadden falling....

Umm . . . the price for dropping down to #12 is arguably a low second/high third, so dropping down into the 20s would most likely be something like 2008 2nd/3rd + 2009 1st/2nd.

Last edited:
Umm . . . the price for dropping down to #12 is arguably a low second/high third, so dropping down into the 20s would most likely be something like 2008 2nd/3rd + 2009 1st/2nd.

Umm . . . my bad

So, other than correcting me, what are your thoughts on this thread?

Last edited:
If they can get a defensive impact player like ed reed or someone for #7 they should try to get that. If not there are other options.

Aqib Talib at Corner is about 6'2'' and 200lbs. Great cover guy in man or zone. Also can return kicks. At LB I'd say a guy like Keith Rivers (6'2' 240 4.6 forty) could be a good pick.
I'd say trade down in the first round because I don't see any impact guys at LB at #7 overall.
Kenny Phillips (Safety 6'2" 210 4.46 forty) is the top safety prospect. He is worthy of number 7, but his rating is based off potential because he was never that great on the field in college.
Mike Jenkins is the top corner at 6' 200 from South Florida. Shut down corner in man coverage. Let's no one beat him.

I just want some linebackers and DB's.

Assuming there's really no one grabbing the Pats' eye at #7, something like this would be my dream scenario:

* Pats trade #7 to New Orleans for #10 and a 2nd rounder
* Pats trade #10 to Denver for #12 and a 3rd rounder
* Pats trade #12 to Chicago for #14 and a 3rd rounder
* Pats trade their 2nd for a 2009 2nd
* Pats trade Denver's 3rd for a 2009 3rd

Assuming there's really no one grabbing the Pats' eye at #7, something like this would be my dream scenario:

* Pats trade #7 to New Orleans for #10 and a 2nd rounder
* Pats trade #10 to Denver for #12 and a 3rd rounder
* Pats trade #12 to Chicago for #14 and a 3rd rounder
* Pats trade their 2nd for a 2009 2nd
* Pats trade Denver's 3rd for a 2009 3rd
I love multi trade downs - they never seem to happen, though, I guess because the chance of being in the right spot at the right time all those times isn't likely.

All your trade downs look good to me; #14 would be perfect because you've knocked $$$ off the contract, can still sign the player for 6 years and CB seems fairly deep in the middle of the first round this year. On your last deal, though, trading the #12 pick of round 3 for a #3 next year is horrible; it worked OK this year as we traded our low #3 for what was almost certainly a high #3 so we knew we had a real good chance to move up just about a whole round.

I have had a feeling since right after the SB, that he #7 pick will be traded for a veteran player and a later 1st or second rounder. I don't know who or what team, but I don't think we see a draft day trade for multiple picks.

I love multi trade downs - they never seem to happen, though, I guess because the chance of being in the right spot at the right time all those times isn't likely.

All your trade downs look good to me; #14 would be perfect because you've knocked $$$ off the contract, can still sign the player for 6 years and CB seems fairly deep in the middle of the first round this year. On your last deal, though, trading the #12 pick of round 3 for a #3 next year is horrible; it worked OK this year as we traded our low #3 for what was almost certainly a high #3 so we knew we had a real good chance to move up just about a whole round.

True. I just figured that the Pats might not want to wait ~50 picks if they could avoid it. :)

I have had a feeling since right after the SB, that he #7 pick will be traded for a veteran player and a later 1st or second rounder. I don't know who or what team, but I don't think we see a draft day trade for multiple picks.

I've been thinking that way as well. But who? What vet and team would be willing to 'dance' with the Pats for the #7 pick? Ideally, we have to know what BB really covets. Is it on D or on O? It would have to be a stud who is still not in his prime, but flashes potential. Like a Vrabel. It would have to be a team that has a glut of the position that BB desires and who could afford to lose their 1st or 2nd. Also, a player that may cost as much if not less than the #7 pick would over the life of the contract. For me that player would be Terrell Suggs. Any other suggestions?

I've been thinking that way as well. But who? What vet and team would be willing to 'dance' with the Pats for the #7 pick? Ideally, we have to know what BB really covets. Is it on D or on O? It would have to be a stud who is still not in his prime, but flashes potential. Like a Vrabel. It would have to be a team that has a glut of the position that BB desires and who could afford to lose their 1st or 2nd. Also, a player that may cost as much if not less than the #7 pick would over the life of the contract. For me that player would be Terrell Suggs. Any other suggestions?

Right now, I don't. But it will be an ILB or a Corner.We will have to see if we lose Asante or if Colvin does not restructure and gets cut.

I doubt if it's an offensive player.

What about KC's Dlineman J. Allen? KC seems to be on his badside during contract talks & it looks to not happen on signing him. ....thinking we need a pass rush guy too even though he is a 4-3 scheme guy.
But I do se this possibly happening to for a trade since I don't think Bill is going to like any rookie available in the #7 slot.

What about KC's Dlineman J. Allen? KC seems to be on his badside during contract talks & it looks to not happen on signing him. ....thinking we need a pass rush guy too even though he is a 4-3 scheme guy.
But I do se this possibly happening to for a trade since I don't think Bill is going to like any rookie available in the #7 slot.

Hey, I went to Savio too. What year did you graduate?

I don't think the Pats could afford to pay Suggs. Besides isn't he more of a 4-3 system player?

25guk1t.jpg

wvxzth.jpg

God, this guy is a beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back