PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

5/24 OTA Observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long will this troll last?

Want to tell us what user he shares an IP with, Ian? :)

Why would this poster get banned unless he has already been for some far more egregious problem. Really, an opinion on WW that doesn't praise him is a reason to ban? If opinions on players are so intolerable then it beats me why almost this entire board isn't banned. Or is it just opinions that the majority doesn't agree with?

Patriots open OTA No. 2: Practice observations - Extra Points - Boston.com

Bedard.

I like the bit about Wilson having presence as well as Gregory & Chung working well together.

"OTs Nate Solder and Marcus Cannon both look they have added some much-needed strength in the offseason. Both look really well put together in their second seasons."

Not only is it good for the line in general, but it demonstrates their commitment to get in shape during the off season. There are a couple of good players here.

Why would this poster get banned unless he has already been for some far more egregious problem. Really, an opinion on WW that doesn't praise him is a reason to ban? If opinions on players are so intolerable then it beats me why almost this entire board isn't banned. Or is it just opinions that the majority doesn't agree with?

1.) He's already been banned

2.) I think it has more to do with the fact he was an obvious troll

Patriots open OTA No. 2: Practice observations - Extra Points - Boston.com

Bedard.

I like the bit about Wilson having presence as well as Gregory & Chung working well together.

I like reading Bedard's observations. He notices a lot of details.

Good news hearing that Dowling looked good this week as Bedard was the one who wrote that he thought he didn't have the same burst as last year.

Really good to hear that both Solder and Cannon are noticeably stronger this year. We need strong contributions from them this year, and hopefully not as stand-ins for Vollmer.

A bit discouraging to read his observations on Dennard, but I think it's possible that with his current legal situation, his mind may not be fully engaged here yet, particularly regarding conditioning.

Love hearing the positive reports on Ridley and his speed. I think we're going to enjoy the Ridley-Vereen tandem, and I still have high hopes for Bolden.

The reports on Branch and Stallworth are not encouraging at all, but with Lloyd, Gaffney, and Welker, we may not need them. Maybe Ebert has a shot if he shows well in camp. (or Ocho, but I doubt it).

Last edited:
He's teaching. Coach is now drafting players with additional expertise as a way to expand his emphasis on versatility. It's no longer just about playing more than one position; he is now looking for capability typically done by other employees. If you read their bios carefully, you'll see the following additional capabilities and educational backgrounds:

Jones: nutrition
Hightower: crowd control, security
Wilson: audio/video (this is why he was drafted so early)
Bequette: equipment design
Ebner: trauma recovery, including concussion
Dennard: community affairs
Ebert: salary cap

Look for layoffs in the front office as these guys assert themselves on the organization. Watch for the Jests to do the same in a few weeks, and for the Bills to hire one of the laid off employees and pay him in a year more than he thought he'd make in his career.

That's pretty funny.:rocker:

FWIW - neither of those updates is from Reiss. I got tripped up myself. Guess we all just assume that Reiss is a one man army (which he can be)

Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Lloyd is going to have a big year..great speed and amazing route running...can't wait to see him out there]

Hightower looking heavy? Also only at MLB so far...figured he would be moving around more..but still early

Last edited:
If Ocho, Branch, and Stallworth are basically done, then we don't have the amazing depth at WR we thought we did. We've got a great starting pair and a good #3 in Gaffney, but then it drops off a cliff.

This won't matter much if we stay healthy but that's always a big if.

Re: 5/31 OTA Observations

Will be interesting to see how Mike's latest assistant develops. Yates worked as an intern in some capacity here while in college and did a year as a scout for Pioli in KC.

Meanwhile Andy Hart wasn't pulling any punches, comparing Mallett to Rohan...

Official Patriots Football Weekly Blog | From the Hart: OTA observations

This is the first time that I've seen Vollmer's absence be attributed to his "back". Hopefully he is just resting it, but it isn't a good sign. Cannon may be needed sooner rather than later.

Last edited:
If Ocho, Branch, and Stallworth are basically done, then we don't have the amazing depth at WR we thought we did. We've got a great starting pair and a good #3 in Gaffney, but then it drops off a cliff.

We all know ocho is useless...branch is old..and stallworth...eh

My guess is that the veterens may not be going all out at OTAs. They know it's a long season and that there is no need to extend fully now. Save it for camp and the seson

The 4th/5th receivers tend to not as good as the guys ahead of them so they wind up being the 4th/5th receivers.

Few teams have Megatron type talent as the last guy on the depth chart.

The 4th/5th receivers tend to not as good as the guys ahead of them so they wind up being the 4th/5th receivers.

Few teams have Megatron type talent as the last guy on the depth chart.

Yep.

Once you get past the 4th WR on a depth chart (of any team), your value is pretty much Special Teams and nothing else. You look around the league and take a look at any teams depth chart, and then look at the bottom 3 WR's on that team. I guarantee you those 3 WR's are either rookies, project players, or players who only contribute on ST's. VERY few teams get anything out of their bottom 3 WR's (outside of ST units).

Now, look at the Patriots. Due to our TE's we essentially only have THREE WR's that matter. Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney. After that...it's just project players and ST'ers. And that is where guys like Edelman and Slater shine. Sure, they are the two bottom WR's on our depth chart, but they are also ST standouts, and that is the sole reason they are on the depth chart in the first place.

The Patriots may not have a "Megatron" at the top of their Depth Chart, but as a whole, very few teams can claim to have two ST aces like Slater/Edelman, two consistant clutch players like Welker/Gaffney, three proven Veterans in Lloyd/Stallworth/Branch, and....well...OchoCinco.

We may not have a Calvin Johnson, but as a whole...as a collective group...our WR depth is pretty darn good, IMO.

Last edited:

Most teams depth falls off a cliff...the drop isn't nearly as steep here this season as last as far as receivers go. Or as steep as it is on most teams at the position. It's as if some of you envision pro bowl talent 3 deep.

Branch may have lost his burst. But he hasn't lost his mind and he still has a knack for finding the sweet spot in coverage and he still catches pretty much everything in sight and he can run all the routes in a pinch and he can rotate in or come in cold off the bench and Brady doesn't have to coach him up in no huddle. That's kind of his ace in the hole. He's OK with being a role player at this juncture and he knows the roles inside out.

Stallworth probably still has more burst, he always had speed, but he's always been a little erratic focus wise and he's always been a hammy away from durable. That's why the more affordable Gaffney eventually replaced him. But as a 4th or 5th option and insurance, both Branch and Stallworth remain above average as depth players especially given their prior experience in the system.

Ocho is what he is, still talented but systematically enigmatic, and right now that puts him at low man on the totem pole coming off a lackluster first season in the system at 33 (just ahead of the potential developmental kids with PS eligibility and ST potential) and it's a matter of whether or not he can compete against those odds in a complex system at a time when Brady can't coddle him and whether or not those who can compete stay healthy through the first week in September.

But all in all the position is loaded comparatively speaking when you factor in it's going to be operating largely within a 2 TE set.

You are correct. With all the moves made this offseason, if the trio you mention are done, the Patriots will only have increased their WR depth by 1, assuming Ebert doesn't pan out as a very pleasant rookie surprise.

But that 1 will be very important, as it will allow the Patriots to use more than 5 receiving threats (albeit not all at once):

Gronk
Hernandez
Welker
Lloyd
Gaffney
Woodhead

which I think is significant in this era of defensive specialization and offensive no-huddle football.

Last edited:
You are correct. With all the moves made this offseason, if the trio you mention are done, the Patriots will only have increased their WR depth by 1, assuming Ebert doesn't pan out as a very pleasant rookie surprise.

But that 1 will be very important, as it will allow the Patriots to use more than 5 receiving threats (albeit not all at once):

Gronk
Hernandez
Welker
Lloyd
Gaffney
Woodhead

which I think is significant in this era of defensive specialization and offensive no-huddle football.

Although it's obviously very early, there were reports that the Pats were working out both Woodhead and Vereen running WR routes yesterday. I think that there are enough weapons on offense that the Pats will make do, even if those 3 WRs don't pan out.

Although it's obviously very early, there were reports that the Pats were working out both Woodhead and Vereen running WR routes yesterday. I think that there are enough weapons on offense that the Pats will make do, even if those 3 WRs don't pan out.

I absolutely agree, which was really my point. I think Gaffney coming free has made a world of difference in what this team's offense is going to be able to do. The Lloyd signing meant that teams would no longer be able to ignore the middle-outside and the deep areas of the field in passing situations, and the Gaffney signing brings receiver versatility to the table. Gaffney and Lloyd, along with a healthy RB threat, make it so the Patriots can not only strike anywhere on the field in the passing game, but they can also do it with enough different player types that it's going to be a very rare defense, indeed, that can find matchups for all those options. By having at least 6 receiving options, the Patriots can dictate all sorts of favorable matchups by substitution as well as by formation, which is something that they really couldn't do last year.

They'll now have the opportunity to be up there with the Packers and Saints when it comes to diversity of attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe