PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

3-Round Mock (YDKF): Fletcher Cox, Alfonzo Dennard, Joe Adams, Travis Lewis, D Molk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 3-Round Mock (YDKF): Fletcher Cox, Alfonzo Dennard, Joe Adams, Travis Lewis, D Mo

This is my 3 round mock
1 (27): Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois
1 (31): Jerel Worthey, DT, Michigan St
2 (48): Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia
2 (63): Markelle Martin, S, Ok St
3 (94): Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin

The only way I see us taking a receiver is if Michael Floyd falls to us in rd 1 but that is unlikely

Last edited:
Re: 3-Round Mock (YDKF): Fletcher Cox, Alfonzo Dennard, Joe Adams, Travis Lewis, D Mo

That is why I think it takes Cox and Brockers a good year before they are effective in our defense, because they have to learn to play the 5 technique.

It took Ty Warren a whole year on the bench before he took off in year two. And even the great Seymour needed 6 to 8 games on the bench before he took over.

It is not a quick adjustment, but once they get it,they both project to excel in our defense.

I thought Cox's best two games of the season were against Alabama and Arkansas. I think Richardson was afraid to run on Cox's side of the field for most of that game.

Ochmed - Ty Warren didn't spend a whole year on the bench before he "took off in year two" Warren saw plenty of playing time as a rookie, not to mention 4 starts in games 5-8.

I think that BB would expects guys any DE he adds to be in the rotation from day 1 and a starter by Mid-season. What I'd love to see is the Pats add Soliai as a NT and move Wilfork to DE similar to the way that the Ravens use Ngata. With a rotation of Love in there with Soliai and Deaderick/Brace/???? on the other side, wow..

This is my 3 round mock
1 (27): Whitney Mercilus, OLB, Illinois
1 (31): Jerel Worthey, DT, Michigan St
2 (48): Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia
2 (63): Markelle Martin, S, Ok St
3 (94): Kevin Zeitler, G, Wisconsin

The only way I see us taking a receiver is if Michael Floyd falls to us in rd 1 but that is unlikely

I like Zeitler, but I don't see the Pats adding a guard unless Waters has walked. And I don't think he's going to.

I think that Worthy doesn't fit in the mold that BB likes to use at DE, in all honesty. I think he's too short. BB likes his DEs to be 6-4+ unless they are going to be used in sub situations.. Seymour was 6'6 2/8". Ty Warren was 6'4 5/8". Deaderick is 6'3 7/8"

Really, the only pick that I think is good is Minnifield. Though I question whether or not BB would add 2 players from the same Defensive Backfield.

Clearly you aren't bright enough to understand that Passes defensed (hitting the ball with his hands) isn't the only way that getting your hands up is effective. If you get your hands up and the QB has to throw it HIGH over you, you still did your job.

LOL. ANYBODY can do that. Just because he put his hands up doesnt make him some great pass defender.
If Cox was as good pass defender as you claimed to be, he would at least got 1 lousy pass defended in his college career.
In fact, contrary to your idiotic claim, the fact that he has absolutely no pass defended in his entire college career shows clearly that he doesnt know how to get his hands in the passing lanes. Got that in your thick empty skull?

QB hurries are a subjective stat. If you actually watched the video, Cox had 3 hurries just in that Kentucky game. But, just keep running your mouth and showing everyone how clueless you truly are.

Kentucky was a ****ty team this season. If you actually stopped for a moment talking out of your arse, and bothered to check their record, you would have seen that they were blown out plenty of times this season.
And this game was one of only 3 out of 12 where Cox had a good game. The other 9 he didnt do much.
Still, it was great moment when I saw the great Cox finally get a clear sack, where he had to beat his man to get to the QB. Too bad that it was the only one whole season. When I saw that the great Cox had so much trouble beating average college OLs, who couldnt even hope of ever making to the NFL, I remembered that in the NFL, the OLs will only come bigger and stronger, so I certainly dont see him as the great pass rushing threat the Pats need.

Again, you clearly show you are totally clueless as to what a 3-4 DE in a 2 Gap system needs to do. Do yourself a favor and go learn it. Then maybe the light will break over your thick skull and you'll realize that Wolfe is a pure 1 GAP guy. For Wolfe to fit in the Pats system, he'd have to add 10 lbs and learn how to stay in his assignment.
He will learn it, like many others did before him and many others will do after him. Or maybe the others didnt learn it, they were born knowing it?
what an absolute joke you are. A guy who doesnt have 1 lousy pass defended in his entire college career "knows how to get his hands in passing lanes." HAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:

^^^^^^
This dude helps help.

I like Zeitler, but I don't see the Pats adding a guard unless Waters has walked. And I don't think he's going to.

I think that Worthy doesn't fit in the mold that BB likes to use at DE, in all honesty. I think he's too short. BB likes his DEs to be 6-4+ unless they are going to be used in sub situations.. Seymour was 6'6 2/8". Ty Warren was 6'4 5/8". Deaderick is 6'3 7/8"

Really, the only pick that I think is good is Minnifield. Though I question whether or not BB would add 2 players from the same Defensive Backfield.

I appreciate the thoughts. Thank you.

You don't like Mercilus at all though?

Too stiff in his hips. Only has paid good year. Never dropped in coverage unlike his other DE counterpoint who always dropped in coverage in zone blitzes.

LOL. ANYBODY can do that. Just because he put his hands up doesnt make him some great pass defender.
If Cox was as good pass defender as you claimed to be, he would at least got 1 lousy pass defended in his college career.
In fact, contrary to your idiotic claim, the fact that he has absolutely no pass defended in his entire college career shows clearly that he doesnt know how to get his hands in the passing lanes. Got that in your thick empty skull?

So, you have issues reading also. I said he gets his hands up. Which he does. I didn't say he was a good pass defender. Seems to me that you have issues with reading comprehension as well as making sh!t up.

Kentucky was a ****ty team this season. If you actually stopped for a moment talking out of your arse, and bothered to check their record, you would have seen that they were blown out plenty of times this season.
And this game was one of only 3 out of 12 where Cox had a good game. The other 9 he didnt do much.

It doesn't matter if Kentucky was a "sh!tty team this season" and their record doesn't matter. What does matter is that there were at least 3 QB hurries in that video that didn't get counted. That is what matters. As I said, QB hurries are subjective. As for what he did and didn't do, I guess that blocking kicks and forcing fumbles don't count for anything.. :rolleyes:

Still, it was great moment when I saw the great Cox finally get a clear sack, where he had to beat his man to get to the QB. Too bad that it was the only one whole season. When I saw that the great Cox had so much trouble beating average college OLs, who couldnt even hope of ever making to the NFL, I remembered that in the NFL, the OLs will only come bigger and stronger, so I certainly dont see him as the great pass rushing threat the Pats need.

The Pats don't NEED a pass rushing 3-4 DE. That is NOT what the 2 GAP system they run calls for. That is the problem with you. You are 100% clueless as to what the job of that position requires. If you were talking about a 4-3 DE (something that Cox is not) who only had 1Gap responsibilities, then you might be on to something. But, since the Pats run the 3-4 2Gap as their base, that's where they'll focus their scouting on. BTW, It would help you to read things like Patriot Reign, The War Room, and Management Secrets of the New England Patriots vol 1&2.

He will learn it, like many others did before him and many others will do after him. Or maybe the others didnt learn it, they were born knowing it?
what an absolute joke you are. A guy who doesnt have 1 lousy pass defended in his entire college career "knows how to get his hands in passing lanes." HAHAHAHAHA

There are plenty of D-linemen who get their hands up into passing lanes and the QBs are forced to throw OVER them OR, imagine this, throw to a different receiver. Hell, in that video alone, there were two passes by the Kentucky QB where he HAD to throw HIGH over Cox to ensure that Cox didn't tip it and ended up over-throwing his receiver..

But, yeah..You keep talking buddy.

I didn't comment on him one way or the other. Not sold on him. There seem to be issues with him as a run defender. He's a good pass rusher, but a 1-trick pony doesn't help the Pats.

I didn't comment on him one way or the other. Not sold on him. There seem to be issues with him as a run defender. He's a good pass rusher, but a 1-trick pony doesn't help the Pats.

Well you said the only pick you liked was Minnifield so I took it you didn't like Mercilus. That's fine.

Do you have any players on your radar that you would like the Pats to take?

JPP only started playing football in his Junior year of high school. He then had to spend 2 years at JUCO to get his grades to the point of being able to go to South Florida. It's also safe to say that Pierre-Paul was the best player on the South Florida roster so he probably saw more double teams than Wolfe did.

So what if JPP started playing football in his junior high school year. He had plenty of time to learn until he got in his last year in college. What loser doesnt understand this ?
Oh, the loser who claimed that the player who doesnt have 1 lousy pass defended in his entire college career "knows how to get his hands in passing lanes."
What loser doesnt bother to check that Wolfe also was by far the best defensive player on his team's roster, and he was double teamed a lot, to not say "just about every snap" as the bearcats writer put it. Bearcats Nation vs. ESPN Big East Blog Week 10
Derek Wolfe notched the only sacks for the Bearcats with a pair this week. He now has 7 on the season despite being double-teamed just about every snap
What loser doesnt bother to check this and claims that JPP saw more double teams then Wolfe?

Wolfe has been playing football his entire life. If you are going to make comparisons, it would be nice if you made ones that actually made sense.
What loser can claim that this comparison doesnt make sense because JPP "only" started playing football in his junior high school year?
Someone who doesn't know wtf he's talking about and is trying to baffle others with BS. That's the type.

What loser puts ALL the O-line prospects into one group to try and prove a point? Someone who doesn't know wtf he's talking about and is trying to baffle others with BS. That's the type.
When intelligent posters talk about prospects, they look at the different groups. Center, Tackle, and Guard. They don't lump them all together.

What loser doesnt understand that a DT/DE can go against any of the OLs, so we can safely lump them all together? What loser ignores this when he tries to prove a point?
Someone who doesn't know wtf he's talking about and is trying to baffle others with BS. That's the type.

So what if JPP started playing football in his junior high school year. He had plenty of time to learn until he got in his last year in college. What loser doesnt understand this ?
Oh, the loser who claimed that the player who doesnt have 1 lousy pass defended in his entire college career "knows how to get his hands in passing lanes."

That's why a knock on JPP was that he played on a relatively poor team that played against poor competition and that he was raw.

BTW, SFBs, just because he doesn't get a Pass Defensed doesn't mean he doesn't know how to get his hands in the passing lanes. Especially if it forces the QB to go to a different receiver. But, just go right ahead with your pathetic attempts to use my words against me. It only shows that you are incapable of thinking for yourself.

What loser doesnt bother to check that Wolfe also was by far the best defensive player on his team's roster, and he was double teamed a lot, to not say "just about every snap" as the bearcats writer put it. Bearcats Nation vs. ESPN Big East Blog Week 10
Derek Wolfe notched the only sacks for the Bearcats with a pair this week. He now has 7 on the season despite being double-teamed just about every snap
What loser doesnt bother to check this and claims that JPP saw more double teams then Wolfe?

So, I am supposed to take a Bearcats writer as being unbiased? Good one.

You seem to have issues understanding that there is more to the pass rush than just sacks and QB Pressures. And nothing you have said has proven that Wolfe got double-teams more than Pierre-Paul.

What loser can claim that this comparison doesnt make sense because JPP "only" started playing football in his junior high school year?

The comparison of Wolfe to Pierre-Paul doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons, one of which happens to be that Wolfe actually should be a more refined player than Paul because Paul started playing so much later than Wolfe did. But, clearly that is something beyond your level of comprehension.

What loser doesnt understand that a DT/DE can go against any of the OLs, so we can safely lump them all together? What loser ignores this when he tries to prove a point?

No, you can't safely lump them all together because they are rated differently. Just because a DT/DE can go against any one of them doesn't mean that those positions are doing the same thing. The techniques and skillsets are different for those positions. Guess you don't understand that.

No, it's clear that Patsderoer can't be helped.

You're wasting your time arguing with him.

That's why a knock on JPP was that he played on a relatively poor team that played against poor competition and that he was raw.

Yeah, well its not only JPP, its also Connor Barwin, who played in the same team as Wolfe. Poor competition Big East is not, SEC is very overhyped.

BTW, SFBs, just because he doesn't get a Pass Defensed doesn't mean he doesn't know how to get his hands in the passing lanes. Especially if it forces the QB to go to a different receiver. But, just go right ahead with your pathetic attempts to use my words against me. It only shows that you are incapable of thinking for yourself.

Not once in that Kentucky vid did Cox force the Qb to go to a different receiver than he intented to. Not once. The overthrows were the result of Qb's inacuracy, not because Cox got his hands into the passing lanes. At 5:09 in the Kentucky vid the Qb overthrew an pretty open receiver, when he had a clear passing lane, and Cox was away to his right completely held in check by 1 OL. So your argument is as usual complete BS.

So, I am supposed to take a Bearcats writer as being unbiased? Good one.

You seem to have issues understanding that there is more to the pass rush than just sacks and QB Pressures. And nothing you have said has proven that Wolfe got double-teams more than Pierre-Paul.

Nothing you have said has proven that JPP got more double-teams than Wolfe. Nothing.

The comparison of Wolfe to Pierre-Paul doesn't make sense for a variety of reasons, one of which happens to be that Wolfe actually should be a more refined player than Paul because Paul started playing so much later than Wolfe did. But, clearly that is something beyond your level of comprehension.

LOL what idiocy. You make it sound like JPP fell out of the sky in his junior high school year and didnt knew anything about football before. When the reality is that he grew up in football-crazy America, so he surely knew a lot about american football before his junior year. Even if he didnt knew anything, he still had plenty of years before his last college year to learn.

The comparison makes a lot of sense because both JPP and Wolfe are great pass rushers, and played in the same conference. But this is something that is clearly beyond your level of comprehension.
The "feeble competition" idiotic argument is just that, an idiotic argument. If the competition was so feeble, JPP should have had a lot more success than he did.

No, you can't safely lump them all together because they are rated differently. Just because a DT/DE can go against any one of them doesn't mean that those positions are doing the same thing. The techniques and skillsets are different for those positions. Guess you don't understand that.

Ofcourse we can lump them all together when we talk about the OLs from one conference supposedly being more "feeble" competition than the OLs from SEC. That was the idiotic argument someone came up with, to excuse Cox's lack of production sack-wise. You intervened in this discussion with the exact intent you accused me doing, you were trying to baffle others with BS.
Big East Conference have produced plenty of great OLs, including Pats great center Dan Koppen.

Last edited:

Actually, I reminds me more of JJ Watt. He has a motor that doesn't stop and is extremely aggressive - wants to kill someone on every play.

These arguments would probably hold more water if there weren't constantly insulting each other. Gives me a headache just reading this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes