PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PostGame Thread 2023 Week 2: Patriots Lose to Dolphins 24-17

Immediate Postgame Reactions
And who put together that OL? Who FAILED to sign a significant OL in free agency or the draft?

Around and around we go and the Excuses keep flying without the BLAME being assigned for the people FAILING to perform at their jobs!
That's a different argument, one I may agree with you on.

That's a different argument, one I may agree with you on.
I both agree with it and I don't. We're dealing with significant injury to our OL, with both Brown and Reiff out and our two starting guards back from injury for their first playing time this game, where they clearly showed rust.

I wish we had better OL, but they wouldn't necessarily be any more likely to avoid injury than anyone else. In which case, we're still potentially in the same situation.

Zolak on the radio made incisive commentary. Much better than his usual blustery self.

He mentioned how Mostert hit the hole with speed, which he has a lot of, while Rham did the tentative dancing thing.

And I noticed it too after Zo mentioned it.

We need to focus on effective running the ball.

I look for improvement in this aspect of the offense.

Mac Jones can win us games with play-action. But if we can’t run the ball we lose.

Unless Zach Wilson is in the giving mood.

It was Andrews :(

Then who was Strange69 supposed to block? There was nobody in front of him; that's why he was in position to catch the lateral.

Exactly so. Mac Jones is in his comfort zone as a "dink and dunker" because that plays into his physical limitations.

Now there are QBs in the NFL who can succeed at this playstyle but they need to be extremely consistent. Because throwing for 5.8 YPA or 5.5 YPA, you're not going to frighten the defense so you need "surgical precision" and you need to nail just about every single throw and Mac Jones isn't at that level yet.

The other problem is that Mac Jones is still turning the ball over when he's throwing for such low yardage per attempt. That one INT per game that he's giving up, well that's killing potential touchdown drives. And when you "dink and dunk" you actually have lower margin for error because you don't generate many explosive plays. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the announcer at one point say that a 15 yard throw by Mac Jones was his "longest throw of the game"? That's just pathetic.

If Mac Jones gets out dueled by a walking disaster like Wilson... OOF that's just going to be another condemnation of his abilities as an NFL QB. We should beat the Jets as they are one of the worst teams in the NFL right now. Key word 'should'.
Some people here will just say what other QB is available that's better.

So, stay the current course RMS Titanic.

• Ha Ha
Reactions: sb1
Interesting viewpoint. This sacrifice might help the QB realize his potential and make them more confident , so when chips ar edown, the QB can try to elevate thaie around him.

When we have a carousel of lousy talent, we pull the QB also down the quicksand. I think we shoukd try to maximize the next 3 years of Mac and go all in . And have the 4th year as reset year.
I agree that we need more help for Mac if he is going to emerge (like Tua seems to be doing, although we’ll see if he stays healthy).

I would argue the magic formula to build QB confidence is: a) organization/coaching, b) players and c) success/luck.

a) Compare the long time success with QB by someone like Reid or Shanahan (or Brady era Pats) to how orgs like the Jets or the Andrew Luck Colts destroyed many arguably very promising QBs.

b) is obvious and already discussed in this thread, Tua is latest example, once he got his WRs he suddenly looks amazing.

c) Success breeds confidence. Would Brady have reached the same heights if he hadn’t won a ring in Year 2? Or, Mahomes winning a ring so early? And there is always some luck involved with winning a ring.

Last edited:

It was a great play, but this play was on Tua. Tua threw a duck that grossly underthrew Hill. He hits Hill in stride and Hill doesn't have to stop to get the ball and that is a TD.

It is plays like these that shows that the biggest difference between Mac and Tua is Hill and Waddle and McDaniel's play calling.

I both agree with it and I don't. We're dealing with significant injury to our OL, with both Brown and Reiff out and our two starting guards back from injury for their first playing time this game, where they clearly showed rust.

I wish we had better OL, but they wouldn't necessarily be any more likely to avoid injury than anyone else. In which case, we're still potentially in the same situation.

That’s not an argument that they’re willing to entertain. It’s almost as though some people think the Patriots deserved to have all of their offensive linemen get hurt (or severely ill) as their punishment for not signing one of the bigger names.

It was a great play, but this play was on Tua. Tua threw a duck that grossly underthrew Hill. He hits Hill in stride and Hill doesn't have to stop to get the ball and that is a TD.

It is plays like these that shows that the biggest difference between Mac and Tua is Hill and Waddle and McDaniel's play calling.
From Tua's perspective he looked wide open with Gonzo looking the other way, I think he faked him out.

From Tua's perspective he looked wide open with Gonzo looking the other way, I think he faked him out.

Either way, it was a grossly under thrown ball. He still should have hit Hill in stride.

Either way, it was a grossly under thrown ball. He still should have hit Hill in stride.
It wasn’t really Tua’s fault. Judon blew right past Austin Jackson and was quickly in Tua’s face. His only choices were to rush the throw or take a sack.

It wasn’t really Tua’s fault. Judon blew right past Austin Jackson and was quickly in Tua’s face. His only choices were to rush the throw or take a sack.

Yes and no. Yes, he had to get rid of the ball quickly. But he got rid of the ball before Judon got to him.

If that was Mac, this board would meltdown with calls about his noodle arm and how he can't throw under pressure.

Rewatched the game's Patriot offensive plays. First time I ever did that, even slomoed to rewatch blocking. OL wasn't as bad as I thought. They weren't good but they did make some blocks. Van Ginkel made some heads up plays, not just against Anderson but also in space. Mac was better. IMHO he still is one tic slow on his throws and he has to stop this backing up and throwing without feet planted. You want to make the big bucks, stay in and take the hit. The 4th and 8 pass was a classic example. Gesicki open and a pass in stride was a first down. That was an end of game play.

If you have not listened to Patriots Unfiltered this week it could be worthwhile as a lot of topics discussed in this and other threads are mentioned in the programme.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back