PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2023 Divisional round pregame discussion

Already made my predictions/break down for the Saturday games here.

So I'll do Sunday in this more relevant thread and start with my opinion on Bucs @ Lions -6.5. Short answer.. Lions win a close one. But let me break down how and why.

This may well be the game of the week. First lets talk Lions who just about everyone is cheering for. First lets talk about the Lions D which everyone says is bad, well they aren't exactly wrong. It certainly isn't good. But it isn't a dumpster fire either. They are 23rd best in PPGs at 23.2 PPG. But we need to keep in mind this is the new NFL were Ds can be strange ranking wise. Basically you have 8/9 good Ds, 5 or so horrible Ds then you have half of them sitting between 20.6PPG-23.6PPG Basically a FG difference between the 10th best and 25th best in todays NFL. So while I'd still rather have that 10th ranked D, it isn't light years better than a D worse than the Lions. When you think about it it seems odd about half the teams hover within 3 points of each other with the top D giving up 16.5 and the worst 30.5. But i digress.

The point is you can't simply look at rank alone. Yes the lions seemed to be badly ranked, but basically their D is just on the lower end of middling. And It's worst days may be behind it. It got beaten badly by the Ravens/Chargers around their bye, but since that IMO they've only had 1 truly bad game against the Saints. They gave up 29 to GB but 6 were on a fumble recovery. 28 and 26 to the bears but in one game they were down late so gave the bears 2 very short fields on downs were they score an extra 9 and in the other game the bears also had short fields a few times. They also held down the Cowboys and Rams in that same stretch to 23 and 20. This isn't to argue their D is good, but let's not confuse it with a dumpster fire. It can and has had stretches where it gets run over and vs a truly elite offense I think the issue can be forced if they play well, but the Bucs don't have that kind of offense with Mayfield at the helm. He's playing well enough but let's not oversell him. The point is this Lions D will be competitive with the Bucs offense assuming Mayfeild doesn't turn in an one of those Eli/Flacco type playoff runs.

On the offensive side for the Lions they have a really good young D with a lot of budding stars. Gibbs. St. Brown and LaPorta with Montgomery and Reynolds rounding them out make for a potent for of high end players and depth that can attack yours. And the way some people talk about Goff you'd be surprised to learn he's made 3 probowls and has a winning record (not even counting this 12-5 year). This isn't to say he's a star player, but is he isn't an untested scrub. Granted his playoff history isn't too good, but at least you know typically you're typically likely to get a decent performance. And with that case he can score. Will they score on this Bucs D? Some but how much?

As for the Bucs, not much has changed for them since Brady left, Their run D is still elite (as are the Lions surprisingly). And their D is one of the few legit good ones in this league, they aren't great but good. They have a very talented front 7 with good LBs one of the best DTs in Vea and they can generate from the edge with a lof of options (most notably Shaq and rookie Yaya. But they get pressure everywhere. Their back end is solid too. Overall they have nice balance everywhere, but the back end is weaker than the front. This is a good D with legit players on it though. But the way to beat them is in the air, which the lions can do.

As far as ground game for the Bucs, they are horrible. One of the worst in the NFL. They have no one who can run. And with the Lions stout run D this will be utterly shut down, putting all the pressure on Mayfield, which i suppose is where it has been all year.

This Bucs team has been fairly consistent all year long. They've hold the good offenses from absolutely blowing up, but not from putting 24 or more on them much more often than not. The Lions the time they played them got 20 and held them to 6 but that was a life time ago way early in the season.

I expect the Bucs to keep the Lions at or below 27 (probably below that mark), giving them a chance if Mayfield can get his weapons rolling vs an unimpressive but not windmill Lions D. I think he finds some success with the help from his stars, but not enough without support from the ground and the Lions knowing what is coming. Lions 23 Bucs 17.

Last edited:

Big news. He was the guy who was suppose to keep Nico Collins from making the big plays the Texans needed to win if he could. Now they don't have a guy who really has a chance of matching up 1v1. Darby is good, but it really seems like something you want Humphrey for. Nico is 6'4 vs Darby's 5'11 btw. I know the Ravens have good safeties, but how much help can you afford to give? You don't want to risk leave any NFL with too much space.

The Bills has already ruled out wide receiver Gabe Davis (knee), cornerback Christian Benford (knee), linebacker Baylon Spector (back) and safety Taylor Rapp (calf).

“Im not saying anything about coaches” lol who do you think makes the rules bruhh, george pickens?? He’s clearly calling out the coach

“Im not saying anything about coaches” lol who do you think makes the rules bruhh, george pickens?? He’s clearly calling out the coach
Tomlin has always run a loose ship.

IE: The obscure no name Pitt DB who ran his mouth prior to the NE vs Pitt regular season game. Brady went after him and the Pats gave Pitt a beat down. Also, Pitt had just beat a team in the postseason and a Pitt player had his phone recoding the post game locker room speech. Tomlin all ****y stated that "they had something fo NEs axx" The video got out back to NE and the Pats stomped Pitt again.

Tomlin has always run a loose ship.

IE: The obscure no name Pitt DB who ran his mouth prior to the NE vs Pitt regular season game. Brady went after him and the Pats gave Pitt a beat down. Also, Pitt had just beat a team in the postseason and a Pitt player had his phone recoding the post game locker room speech. Tomlin all ****y stated that "they had something fo NEs axx" The video got out back to NE and the Pats stomped Pitt again.

Yeah the fact that AB was not once disciplined for anything there ( and im sure he did alot more than we’re actually aware of) says alot.

If the 49ers don't win the SB this year, it may never happen for them. Shanahan also needs to prove his worth in the 4th quarter of postseason games.

I think they win it all if they play anyone but Baltimore. If it's Baltimore, forget it. Ravens look unbeatable without many weaknesses.

Yeah the fact that AB was not once disciplined for anything there ( and im sure he did alot more than we’re actually aware of) says alot.
AB started crap with Ben, so they were going at it and then AB turned on JuJu because JuJu started putting up numbers.

Then Bell started his antics.

Maybe young players/rookies do. But by the time you're in the NFL for a few years and your 25/26 you shouldn't need a coach to tell you to do your job, be prepared, take care of your responsibilities. They are there to help you, not remind you that you have to do them. The way he phrased it almost makes players seems like children.

i hope in Detroit and Buffalo wins

Tough games for Houston and Green Bay

I would like a Texans upset

Getting my last prediction/breakdown in before the games start. And finally we come to game of the week. Chiefs @ Bills -2.5. Bills to win if you don't want to get into the details, if you do...

Let's talk KC. The first thing we need to do is throw out all preconceptions about what this team is and isn't. This is a new year and a new team. Some people can not get in through their heads that this offense is average right now. I don't care if Mahomes is the best QB in the game right now (Still believe he is) but has a developed a bit of a case of 'yips' as this is his first time being around an offense that isn't particularly talented). A part of this decline no one seems to want to acknowledge is due to Kelce getting older. The dude is 34. That is old for a WR. For the first time since 2016 he did nor eclipse 1000 yards and he didn't miss time to speak of. He has 5 TDs on the year which ties his lowest since before Mahomes got there. His YPR of 10.6 are his lowest in any year he's play. Kelce is no longer the player he was. He is still a very good option and maybe even still maybe the best TE in the game. But there are guys you need to game plan for and guys who find ways no matter how you game plan for them to ruin your day. Guys like prime Gronk. Jerry Rice, Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, ect... Those super elite of elite that Kelce was part of that just jumps off the screen as someone who should be a first ballot HOFer. Kelce was that player who had that kind of impact. Right now he is not and probably never will be again for any extended period of time though we may see flashes. It can not be overstate what a big difference there is between a #1 weapon and an absolute game breaking weapon. Kelce is still a #1, but that isn't the same thing.

Then there is KC's line which isn't all that good The interior is solid, the tackles are not. And a lot of people talk about how bad the KC cast of weapons is, but it really isn't terrible. Even 70% of Kelce is still good. Rice isn't a bad 2nd option, and they have some other pass catchers who should be able to do something liek Mecole, Scantling, Watson and Pacheco isn't a horrible back, just undersize and can't carry the load. To me the probably isn't so much the cast as much as the tackles, and Mahomes having gotten to play with something his entire career he no longer has and learning to play with out. But yes, his cast is average right now and the lack of depth and a solid running attack that can be sustained all game is concerning. Overall this offense is middle of the pack and ranked that way for a reason. I don't care if they have Mahomes back there or not. Don't lose the forest for the tree. This offense will not bail this D out if it gets scored on too much. One other issue this offense has. They are not all that safe with the ball. That will come back to bite them if they aren't careful and can't even it out on the other side.

KC's D on the other hand is pretty good all around and even now they still don't get the praise they deserve. The stop the run okayish, have a very good pass rush, and their back end is looking very solid with some star players mixed in as well. Their main weakness is the run stopping though and this is very important as Josh Allen's legs can ruin their plans, but is James Cook good enough to really take advantage? I wonder how much this can really be exploited. And while i praise KC's DBs as a whole unit, in the end it is their pass rush that really sets them apart and if that pass rush doesn't get there soon enough there are ways to make headway into this backfield as there are some weak links. One of the best in the league. There is one particularly interesting thing to note on their D. They don't take the ball away much. For a team that is second in the league in PPG and near the top in total yards they are near the bottom in turnovers. They actaully made the playoffs being -9 in turnover differential. Very odd.

As for the Bills. There is less here to be discusses as this team is more or less the same as last year and the year before. Singletary out, James Cook the feature back, but the production on the whole is about the same. One difference on their very good offense is Kincaid is an upgrade to Knox (whose still on the team) and has really been hot the last 3 games with making splash plays. A good sign for the rookie heading into this week. As for Diggs he still struggling, but at least the last 2 weeks has been a bit more consistent with getting production. Another spot worth noting is Khalil Skakir who is a 2nd year WR for them. A very silent first 6 weeks of only 40 yards but the 11 games since he's gotten 571. It doesn't make him elite, but he has shown some good stand out games. The point is in years past the Bills have been 'The Allen and Diggs show'. This time the offense seems more balance with more options and even with Digg's struggles I think this one is more built for playoff success. Also Gabe being out won't be a big deal.

As for their D, there have been a fair amount of changes and i don't want to go over them all. The big picture is this though. Thier pass D is about the same as last year. Their run D is worse and can be exploited with the right team. Their LBs could definetly use some help. And their second year starter Bernard needs to really do better this game as he's a key every down player for them. But back to the pass defense. Their pass rush isn't as good as KC but it sure has some teeth. But their back end is better overall so they aren't as dependent on that pass rush getting there, which is a good thing as it isn't as reliable. Personally I prefer this more balanced approach as putting your eggs all in one basket isn't the best idea on D. Sometimes it can carry you, but do you want to rely on it? Overall while the Bills D is worse but it is a little less depended on their key strength. Also i do look for trends, and their D if anything is doing better since their bye in week 13. I would argue they've had 6 straight very solid games on their 6 game win streak. Last week in the playoffs can be argued as a let down vs a bad O. But Pitt's O was looking up and holding them to 17 wasn't bad. Also while their O turns it over their D takes it away more. Which they will need here.

Overall both teams will have moderate success running on the other as that is their weakness, but the Bills will have slightly more as Cook can be a bigger part of that and Allen's running > Mahomes running. But passing and D is where this game will be won as well as the turnover battle. They beat KC at KC 20-17. in week 14. I expect them to do better this time at home. Their D will get pressure on KC's subpar tackles and make things for Mahomes and his average offense hard. KC will not score much and while a balanced attack will help, they know they can't win by running and the Bills know that too. Pacheco isn't that guy. The Bills D is just better than KC's O and they don't have anyone to force the issue for them.

For the other battle As for the Bills OL they have issues on the interior and less on the outside, which may be bad for this game, but they aren't as bad on the inside as KC is on the outside IMO. Allen may have to just take a sack some plays when things are broken up instantly, but he won't have to deal with any blind side hand swips to cause fumbles. The Bills don't have a game breaker in Diggs right now but he needs to be taken seriously and they have more options to attack and more importantly some good dump off options and guys who can reliably make big plays to put things in their favor. KC will not be run over by this offense, but if anything the Bills are improved since they last time they played KC as their young guys got more experience.

And regardless of last week it is good to remember larger trends going in to the playoffs. The Bills ended 5-0 after their bye. KC went 4-4 after theirs. Bills are hotter and at home. Even without Gabe I'd call them better since week 14. The Bills win the turnover battle just like last time and get more explosive plays. This is a game Take the under at 45.5 all day long but the Bills win more convincingly than last time both on the score board and the field. 24-17.

Tough spot for a young QB in Stroud. He hasn't seen a defense like this since week 3. I expect the Ravens to win by a fair amount.
Niners should be able to handle the Packers who looked amazing last week since the Cowboys Defense didn't show up.
Sunday's early game will be another lopsided affair. Bucs kept the Eagles in the game for most of the night. Lions won't waste that opportunity.
Bills-Chefs is too close to call. Pulling for the Bills while trying not to throw up at the same time.

While it’s improbable, I think this is a year both #1 teams face each other in the SB. Not sold on BAL, but truthfully the AFC has been so up and down all year that it’s difficult to have faith in their competition. In the NFC, despite imperfections, I have to think SF has so much talent (+homefield) that they should get a couple of wins in JAN.

Maybe young players/rookies do. But by the time you're in the NFL for a few years and your 25/26 you shouldn't need a coach to tell you to do your job, be prepared, take care of your responsibilities. They are there to help you, not remind you that you have to do them. The way he phrased it almost makes players seems like children.
Sadly, adulation since they were tweens + college free rides + millions of dollars + modern times have all contributed to the fact that - in many ways - they are children. Not all, not every age group, but who is more childlike : a 27 year old star WR or the best 27 year old pharmacist in your state ?

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back