PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Patriots Roster Cut Down Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh. My. God. Wentz was on a league MVP pace before his injury. His quarterback rating was 23 points higher than Foles for the season. Foles is a .500 career quarterback who has never been good enough to maintain a starting job while he's been bouncing around between 5 franchises in 10 seasons. Do you consider anything at all before you post?

What's your excuse for nearly the exact same outcome 6 weeks earlier (week 13)?

You're bragging on being the 7th consideration. That's a low bar.

What's this "objective assessment" you're referring to? There must be some scale or data you can show me that confirms your statement.

So Mac Jones will be winning multiple Super Bowls with Belichick? Clearly that's your position. Also, if Belichick is such an automatic championship maker then how come he hasn't made one in 9 seasons without Brady? 9 seasons and 10 different starting quarterbacks not named Brady. Also, explain how Brady won a Super Bowl without his "crutch" in his first opportunity.
You might keep in mind that Bill has a SB-winning game plan in the Hall of Fame. From before his Pats career.

Marc Wilson should be next...I agree.
Then Tom Ramsey.

Seriously, I think we want to clarify what we mean by 'talent'.

Individual passing yardage inflation, and the QB passer rating stat are two criteria which distract from an accurate evaluation of which QB gives you your best chance to win a game.

And emotion. Football, like life, is emotional. It is NOT DREW'S FAULT that he was drafted #1, hyped and treated like the savior of the franchise. Hyperbole and exaggeration sell newspapers. He tried his best. He really did. He could throw a football. He's like most guys - that's why the few great ones are exceptional. Remember Brady had the worst combine for a QB, or close to it.

You might keep in mind that Bill has a SB-winning game plan in the Hall of Fame. From before his Pats career.
Play more DBs against a pass heavy offense... wow very innovative.

That was the first of four straight Super Bowl losses for Buffalo. Their k-gun offense averaged 18.25 points per game in those Super Bowls so NYG's defense wasn't accomplishing anything special. Jim Kelly was also a train wreck in those Super Bowls with a combined 2 TDs, 7 INTs, and a 56.9 quarterback rating. In fact his best game by far came against Belichick's defense. Buffalo also had their highest total yards of offense against NYG. And that NYG Super Bowl victory came in the midst of the NFC teams winning 13 Super Bowls in a row. In other words, that HOF game plan... very overrated.

Wentz has not won an MVP in his entire career. I don't know what imaginary MVP you're trying to attribute to him, but I think we all know by now that the guy sucks. I'm a better NFL QB than he is. Literally me. Let that sink in.
He got MVP votes in 2017. He was the MVP favorite before he got injured. You said Foles was "significantly better" than Wentz, which is entirely wrong.

You mean week 16. Week 13 was the healthiest the two teams all season, and we took their manhood in their own building.
The playing conditions were the biggest factor. The high winds literally took the air out of Buffalo's offense.

You can keep trying to talk Buffalo up all you want, but they are still trash and easy work for us this season.
We'll revisit this after they meet this season. Buffalo has won 4 of the last 5 meetings and the last two were total wipeouts. Brady has lost 3 games to Buffalo over his entire career (33-3). It took Belichick two seasons without Brady to surpass that loss total.

Scientifically break down the game film of every QB in franchise history, and you will come to the same conclusion that I have.
In other words there is no objective assessment tool as you suggested. You're just making up some wildly outrageous claim from thin air.

Does this need to even be answered? Mac Jones will absolutely be a multi-time SB champion.
When will this historic Belichick-Jones Super Bowl run commence?

Yes, if you shrink Belichick's career and eliminate the years in which he has won Super Bowls, then he has 0 Super Bowls. Very astute observation from you.
It's just a coincidence that he won all of his Super Bowls as a head coach with the same quarterback. Yeah, sure.

Although Super Bowl rings are a team/coach/GM accomplishment, and not a player accomplishment, I give kudos to any QB who has been able to win a ring without the great Bill Belichick. From Trent Dilfer to Nick Foles to Brad Johnson, and so on. Let alone the ones who have won multiple rings.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the level of talent, though.
Weak attempt at obscuring your comment. You said Belichick was Brady's crutch. Maybe the opposite is true but when Brady won a Super Bowl with another head coach your argument died with it.

Their backup QB was significantly better than their starter. He wasn't some random practice squad player.

He was literally the 5th best QB in the postseason as a rookie. I can't remember the last time that has happened, and neither can you. It's a remarkable result.

We already covered the reasons for the outcome of the game, and it all boils down to having to dig deep into the practice squad.

Mac Jones is already a Pro Bowl QB, after just his rookie season. Nothing you typed here will erase this fact, and nothing you will type henceforth will, either.

Objective assessments do not require any consensus. What I stated is factual, irrespective of how many people agree or disagree.

I don't see what there is to reconsider. That's an accurate list.

Keep in mind that we are talking about talent at the QB position, not accomplishments. Playing for nearly two decades for the GOAT coach/GM, who has 8 Super Bowl rings - more than any person in the history of the sport - will lead to more accomplishments. You can't penalize the others for not having that crutch when we are strictly talking about talent.
You might be the worst poster this board has ever seen. That's quite the accomplishment

Play more DBs against a pass heavy offense... wow very innovative.

That was the first of four straight Super Bowl losses for Buffalo. Their k-gun offense averaged 18.25 points per game in those Super Bowls so NYG's defense wasn't accomplishing anything special. Jim Kelly was also a train wreck in those Super Bowls with a combined 2 TDs, 7 INTs, and a 56.9 quarterback rating. In fact his best game by far came against Belichick's defense. Buffalo also had their highest total yards of offense against NYG. And that NYG Super Bowl victory came in the midst of the NFC teams winning 13 Super Bowls in a row. In other words, that HOF game plan... very overrated.

He got MVP votes in 2017. He was the MVP favorite before he got injured. You said Foles was "significantly better" than Wentz, which is entirely wrong.

The playing conditions were the biggest factor. The high winds literally took the air out of Buffalo's offense.

We'll revisit this after they meet this season. Buffalo has won 4 of the last 5 meetings and the last two were total wipeouts. Brady has lost 3 games to Buffalo over his entire career (33-3). It took Belichick two seasons without Brady to surpass that loss total.

In other words there is no objective assessment tool as you suggested. You're just making up some wildly outrageous claim from thin air.

It's just a coincidence that he won all of his Super Bowls as a head coach with the same quarterback. Yeah, sure.

Weak attempt at obscuring your comment. You said Belichick was Brady's crutch. Maybe the opposite is true but when Brady won a Super Bowl with another head coach your argument died with it.
You're an idiot.

You might be the worst poster this board has ever seen. That's quite the accomplishment
Eh, he is way too insignificant to the be the worst. He just wants his attention because he gets none in real life. Just an other incel incelling...

He is just ignorant.

LOL got MVP votes.

Let me tell you about the time I received votes in a Presidential election. Several years ago, a few buddies of mine decided to go to the voting booth and write my name down on the ballot as a joke. I received votes for President of the United States. This doesn't mean that I was ever actually President of the United States.

The individuals who voted for Wentz did so for the same reason my buddies voted for me - they did it for the laughs that would come from some untalented ginger getting "MVP votes." And they got the laughs they were seeking. Oh boy did they get them.

Invalid argument. Both teams were playing in the exact same conditions.

Bill Belichick has owned the Buffalo Bills since the 90s. Check his record.

Film don't lie. It's the most pure form of truth in the sport.

Mac Jones is far too talented to go long stretches without winning a SB with the GOAT coach. Let's just pick a random number out of a hat - like 10, for example. Mac Jones will not allow this franchise to go 10 long years between SB victories while having the GOAT as his coach. The team last won a SB in 2018, so that means that he will win multiple rings between now and 2028.

Bill Belichick has won 8 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs.

My argument has not failed. Bill Belichick has won 8 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs. These are facts that you simply cannot get around.

I really wish you hadn't brought rings into the discussion, because it will just make everyone look like a complete nobody compared to Belichick. When it comes to rings, you're either first, or you are last. I don't care about anybody in between. Bill Belichick has set the standard with 8. Anything less than that makes you a complete bum.

I really despise you for making me do this to my 5th favorite QB of all-time.

I can only assume that English is not your first language and that you did not fully comprehend my posts. That is the only conceivable explanation for why you would make such a statement.
Eh, he is way too insignificant to the be the worst. He just wants his attention because he gets none in real life. Just an other incel incelling...

He is just ignorant.
Most of what @Bruins29 says here is true. I like this guy. He is exceptional at reading a person.

The bolded part in particular is spot on. I've been involuntarily celibate with my wife for several years now. This is why side chicks are such an integral part of a married man's life.

Last edited:
Boils down to this:

There is No Way In The World that Steve Young leads the 49ers to titles in '81 or '88.

There is No Way In The World that Marc Wilson (or Dan Pastorini, or Ken Stabler) leads the Raiders to titles in '80 or '83.

There is No Way In The World that Drew Bledsoe leads the Patriots to the title (or even the playoffs) in '01.

There is No Way In The World that Rob Johnson leads the Bills to the playoffs in '98 or '99.

There is No Way In The World that Tony Eason leads the Patriots to the brink of the playoffs in '88 or '85.

Here's the streak which put the Patriots in contention in 1985 - with Grogan:

Bills...................W
Jets...................W
@Bucs.............W
Dolphins.........W
Colts.................W
@Seahawks...W

And here are the results if Eason wasn't hurt and stayed in there:

Bills...................L
Jets...................L
@Bucs.............maybe a W
Dolphins.........L
Colts.................maybe a W
@Seahawks...L

LOL got MVP votes.

Let me tell you about the time I received votes in a Presidential election. Several years ago, a few buddies of mine decided to go to the voting booth and write my name down on the ballot as a joke. I received votes for President of the United States. This doesn't mean that I was ever actually President of the United States.

The individuals who voted for Wentz did so for the same reason my buddies voted for me - they did it for the laughs that would come from some untalented ginger getting "MVP votes." And they got the laughs they were seeking. Oh boy did they get them.

Mac Jones is far too talented to go long stretches without winning a SB with the GOAT coach. Let's just pick a random number out of a hat - like 10, for example. Mac Jones will not allow this franchise to go 10 long years between SB victories while having the GOAT as his coach. The team last won a SB in 2018, so that means that he will win multiple rings between now and 2028.

My argument has not failed. Bill Belichick has won 8 Super Bowls with 3 different QBs. These are facts that you simply cannot get around.

I really wish you hadn't brought rings into the discussion, because it will just make everyone look like a complete nobody compared to Belichick. When it comes to rings, you're either first, or you are last. I don't care about anybody in between. Bill Belichick has set the standard with 8. Anything less than that makes you a complete bum.

I can only assume that English is not your first language and that you did not fully comprehend my posts. That is the only conceivable explanation for why you would make such a statement.

Most of what @Bruins29 says here is true. I like this guy. He is exceptional at reading a person.

The bolded part in particular is spot on. I've been involuntarily celibate with my wife for several years now. This is why side chicks are such an integral part of a married man's life.
Great stuff, my advice to you is stop by the TB forum and share your thoughts with those posters. ;)

Their backup QB was significantly better than their starter. He wasn't some random practice squad player.

He was literally the 5th best QB in the postseason as a rookie. I can't remember the last time that has happened, and neither can you. It's a remarkable result.

We already covered the reasons for the outcome of the game, and it all boils down to having to dig deep into the practice squad.

Mac Jones is already a Pro Bowl QB, after just his rookie season. Nothing you typed here will erase this fact, and nothing you will type henceforth will, either.
mac jones doesn't play on a pro bowl level (yet), he might play on this level in the future, need to wait the second year, their gotta be an improved passing game with the addition of parker and veterans like henry agholor smith in second year in this system
Objective assessments do not require any consensus. What I stated is factual, irrespective of how many people agree or disagree.

I don't see what there is to reconsider. That's an accurate list.

Keep in mind that we are talking about talent at the QB position, not accomplishments. Playing for nearly two decades for the GOAT coach/GM, who has 8 Super Bowl rings - more than any person in the history of the sport - will lead to more accomplishments. You can't penalize the others for not having that crutch when we are strictly talking about talent.

LOL got MVP votes.

I think this is fairly accurate. Good stuff :thumbsup:

LOL got MVP votes.

i don't know what to say

LOL got MVP votes.

Lol. Sure you do

We have 5 OT's

Who are the centers that you like so much?

Trent Brown, Wynn/Lose, Cachoo, Herron, and.. Who's the 5th? Onwenu?

The Centers are Andrews, Russey, Thanksdad, Hinds in a pinch from his college days, and maybe even the Comedian in the future...

Last edited:
Didn't you hear your mother yelling for you to clean your room?

You're an idiot.
Whatever bub. Jim Kelly and the k-gun offense were bad in every Super Bowl appearance. They were the best team in an inferior conference for a few years. They were competitive only with the Giants... and then got smoked 3 years in a row.

LOL got MVP votes.

You're a real American hero... mocking the U.S. Constitution. Your unamusing anecdote is stupid. AP voters are not in the business of mocking themselves.

Right and it heavily favored the Patriots who were able to rely on their superior running game. Jones had 3 passing attempts... only in a wind storm can you win a modern NFL game with 3 passing attempts. Belichick basically treated it like a bye for Jones and you have to wonder if it didn't get in his head because he didn't play well for the remainder of the season. Of the last 5 games he had one good performance in a blowout against a horrible team.

Unlike you I actually look at the data before I speak.

Firstly, I'm not arbitrarily assigning credit to Belichick for things that occurred while he was working under a Hall of Fame head coach in Bill Parcells.

As a head coach in Cleveland, Belichick faced Buffalo once and lost.

As a head coach in New England, Belichick has a 36-9 record against Buffalo. However, with Brady his record is 32-3 and without Brady his record is 4-6. So the correct observation is Belichick owns Buffalo as long as Brady is his quarterback.

We have 21 years of Brady dominating the sport on tape. The Patriots franchise has been around for 61 years...

18 seasons with Brady:

18 seasons above .500
12 seasons with 12 or more wins
219-64 regular season record
30-11 postseason record
17 Division Titles
9 Conference Championships
6 Super Bowl Championships

43 seasons with other franchise quarterbacks:

22 seasons above .500
0 seasons with 12 or more wins
310-347-9 regular season record
7-11 postseason record
5 Division Titles
2 Conference Championships
0 Super Bowl Championships

And you have Brady ranked where on the list of franchise quarterbacks?

So you have Belichick coaching well into his 70's? And I asked you when it will start. You've given me some pipe dream of the next NFL dynasty.

Nice try but the head coach and QB combinations in New York were with Parcells.

Aside from your gibberish here, you said Brady needs Belichick to win. That claim is a complete fail. He won a Super Bowl with another head coach... end of discussion. Get back to me when Belichick can even win a division without Brady.

Trent Brown, Wynn/Lose, Cachoo, Herron, and.. Who's the 5th? Onwenu?

The Centers are Andrews, Russey, Thanksdad, Hinds in a pinch from his college days, and maybe even the Comedian in the future...
Onwenu is the "5th" OT. If we traded for a starting OG, I suspect that Onwenu would be our #2 or #3 OT.

With regard to centers, I suspect that if Belichick were ready to trust Russey, he will be on the 53 soon. I suspect that he is a developmental player who we hope will contribute in 2023. And yes, Hines was a backup OC in college, so he COULD develop. Where is Dante's replacement as the Dean of the OL University when we need him?

For me, Ferentz is the backup OC that Belichick trusts. Belichick also trusts him as Gameday backup at OG. Unless this is OK with us, it seems that we have a need for an upgrade over Ferentz.
===========
CONCLUSION
We have lots of options at OT, although I'm fine with developing an OT or even two on the Practice Squad.

With regard to OC, I'd like to see us sign or trade for a veteran upgrade tomorrow or sooner.

You're a real American hero... mocking the U.S. Constitution. Your unamusing anecdote is stupid. AP voters are not in the business of mocking themselves.
You are delusional, my friend.

Those MVP votes accomplished exactly what they set out to accomplish. They weren't real votes. If I dressed up for an NFL team, I could get MVP votes for the exact same reasons that Carson Wentz did. Me. I could get MVP votes. That should tell you all you need to know.

I will give you another example - the entire sport of boxing. If I told you that I could enter the boxing ring and beat Canelo, that would seem preposterous to you at first, because you've been conditioned to believe that only "traditional" boxers can have success in this particular form of entertainment. However, once you break it down and really get into the nitty gritty of it, it won't seem outrageous at all.

You need to be able to discern between real and fake accomplishments in sports.

Right and it heavily favored the Patriots who were able to rely on their superior running game. Jones had 3 passing attempts... only in a wind storm can you win a modern NFL game with 3 passing attempts. Belichick basically treated it like a bye for Jones and you have to wonder if it didn't get in his head because he didn't play well for the remainder of the season. Of the last 5 games he had one good performance in a blowout against a horrible team.

Being a one dimensional team who fails as a result of that one dimensionality in certain situations isn't a positive. This doesn't help your case.

Unlike you I actually look at the data before I speak.

Firstly, I'm not arbitrarily assigning credit to Belichick for things that occurred while he was working under a Hall of Fame head coach in Bill Parcells.

As a head coach in Cleveland, Belichick faced Buffalo once and lost.

As a head coach in New England, Belichick has a 36-9 record against Buffalo. However, with Brady his record is 32-3 and without Brady his record is 4-6. So the correct observation is Belichick owns Buffalo as long as Brady is his quarterback.

You just completely demolished your own argument here.

You refuse to give Bill Belichick credit for something he did under another head coach, where his impact was only on one side of the football, yet you want to give all the credit for the 6 SBs won by the Patriots to a player, whose impact was also on only one side of the football.

You can't have it both ways. I am fine with disregarding Belichick's 2 rings as a DC and only focusing on his rings as a head coach and GM, where his impact was felt throughout the entire team, so long as you also disregard player rings. After all, coordinator rings and player rings are equivalent. But if you want to include them all, then everyone with fewer than 8 rings is a peasant who must bow down and kiss Bill's rings.

We have 21 years of Brady dominating the sport on tape. The Patriots franchise has been around for 61 years...

18 seasons with Brady:

18 seasons above .500
12 seasons with 12 or more wins
219-64 regular season record
30-11 postseason record
17 Division Titles
9 Conference Championships
6 Super Bowl Championships

43 seasons with other franchise quarterbacks:

22 seasons above .500
0 seasons with 12 or more wins
310-347-9 regular season record
7-11 postseason record
5 Division Titles
2 Conference Championships
0 Super Bowl Championships

That's not film. Those are stats. If you want to use stats, you have to adjust them to account for the presence of the GOAT coach.

Nice try but the head coach and QB combinations in New York were with Parcells.

Parcells was a fine coach, but he has exactly 0 rings without Bill Belichick. That's not a coincidence.

Aside from your gibberish here, you said Brady needs Belichick to win. That claim is a complete fail. He won a Super Bowl with another head coach... end of discussion. Get back to me when Belichick can even win a division without Brady.

I never said any QB needs Belichick to win a SB. Plenty of QBs have won a ring without Belichick. Guys like Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, etc. All solid dependable QBs. You can be a solid and dependable QB and still win a ring without Belichick. But no QB in the history of the sport has won 6 of them with a single team without Bill Belichick, and likely never will.

Ian made a new thread for "State of the Board" discussion, and there's a separate thread for Practice Squad moves and other updates, so I'm locking this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes