PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2022 Patriots Roster Cut Down Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Post any news you see about Patriots cuts today here. All teams must get down to 53 players by 4 pm eastern time today.

Here's a good article by Brian Hines at Pats Pulpit- going over each of the current 80 players left on the roster and their chances of making the team: A good read on cutdown day:

Itd be nice if in(stead) a crowd of non-NFL-thanksdads & average-at best VETS & ST only players they'd find reason to keep
some younger guys with potential - Wade, Roberts & DaMarcus Mitchell - albeit at the deepest positions.

Besides OL mess with zero depth they also dont have functional blocking help among WR and esp. TE.
Asiasi and Sokol are useless so picking up a blocking TE would be my hope (unlike OL they should be available) but surely in vain..

Itd be nice if in(stead) a crowd of non-NFL-thanksdads & average-at best VETS & ST only players they'd find reason to keep
some younger guys with potential - Wade, Roberts & DaMarcus Mitchell - albeit at the deepest positions.

Besides OL mess with zero depth they also dont have functional blocking help among WR and esp. TE.
Asiasi and Sokol are useless so picking up a blocking TE would be my hope (unlike OL they should be available) but surely in vain..
I feel the pain you have suffered being a fan of this team. Hopefully you will get your wish and they change the philosophy that has produced a team that has made us so miserable as fans all these years.
Let’s be more like the Lions!!

From the NFL Ops site, 2022-23 NFL Important Dates | NFL Football Operations, the rules for the next two days, should it be useful to anyone:

August 30Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must reduce rosters to a maximum of 53 players on the Active/Inactive List.
Simultaneously with the roster reduction to 53 players, clubs that have players in the categories of Active/Physically Unable to Perform or Active/Non-Football Injury or Illness must select one of the following options: place player on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform or Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; terminate or request waivers with the designation of Failed Physical or Non- Football Injury or Illness, whichever is applicable; request waivers; terminate contract; trade contract; or continue to count the player on the Active List.
Players who are on the Reserve List or Exempt List and are not counting against the 90-player limit will begin to count against the 90-player limit.
August 31Claiming period for players placed on waivers at the final roster reduction will expire at 12:00 noon, New York time.
Upon receipt of the subsequent Personnel Notice, clubs may establish a Practice Squad of 16 players, (clubs participating in the International Player Development Program may sign one additional international player to a Practice Player Contract.) No club, including the player’s prior club, will be permitted to sign a player to a Practice Player Contract until all clubs have received simultaneous notification via the above Personnel Notice that such player’s prior NFL Player Contract has been terminated via the waiver system.
August 31Beginning at 4:00 p.m., New York time, any player placed on Reserve/Injured, Reserve/Non-Football Injury or Illness, or Practice Squad; Injured during the regular season or postseason, may be designated for return later in the season, subject to the applicable procedures.

Yeah Scotty, I'm hoping we see more of them and less of Tavai.
I thought I saw Wilson getting abused by LV third stringers last preseason game, but I guess the whole team was.

I think Raekwon and Bentley are our top 2.

Seems that way, at least for early downs. I think Wilson will rotate in on passing downs and 2 minute situations, sometimes beside McMillan, sometimes as the only true off the ball linebacker when they go safety heavy. I think Tavai will have a role, but it'll be more of a Bentley backup, or goal line/obvious running situations, where two downhill LB's would help. Keeping both of those guys out of regular coverage situations will always be part of the plan I think.

I think Raekwon and Bentley are our top 2.
It’s going to be interesting how it shakes out. I think 3 spots will be shared by Jennings, Bentley, Uche, Wilson, McMillan, Wise (as well as players that are backups at those positions like Anderson, Ray, Tavai).
I don’t expect any of those 6 to okay more than 70% of the snaps but it will be interesting to see how they break out.

Seems that way, at least for early downs. I think Wilson will rotate in on passing downs and 2 minute situations, sometimes beside McMillan, sometimes as the only true off the ball linebacker when they go safety heavy. I think Tavai will have a role, but it'll be more of a Bentley backup, or goal line/obvious running situations, where two downhill LB's would help. Keeping both of those guys out of regular coverage situations will always be part of the plan I think.
Our scheme by nature does a good job keeping the LBs out of coverage in a regular basis. It’s rare to see one of our LBs chasing a receiver one on one down the field.

Tavai is the run D starter wether you like it or not. How will the teams exploit that will be part of the early season story.
This might be true, certainly based on preseason/camp, but he might still be doing it (initially) from the practice squad. I'm hoping McMillan can take that over instead. Tavai feels like Eric Alexander 2.

This might be true, certainly based on preseason/camp, but he might still be doing it (initially) from the practice squad. I'm hoping McMillan can take that over instead. Tavai feels like Eric Alexander 2.
Tavai is in the mix b/c he is very good at ST.

The question is is he better than Wilson, Bentley and McMillian.

Keep in mind just because a player starts in preseason doesn't mean he is THE starter.

Great read by Reiss:

I think points 1 and 4 are interesting in conjunction with each other. If Mitchell and Wade don't make the cut, I think Bethel is a lock. He's not a guy you want out there a lot, but as emergency CB's you could do worse than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes