PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Training Camp - Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does that tweet By Havens contravene rules about not publicising trick plays?

Or does the fact that the play happened in open practice suggest the Pats just want to play with their opponents' minds?
Maybe, maybe not. Back in 06 (post 05 season) before a playoff game vs Jacksonville Adam V. was practicing punting out of FG alignment. Sure enough during the game he lined for a 45 yd FG attempt and punted instead....Only a 24 yarder, non Brady-esque or Cassellesque but passable..
We in the stands noticed it but I'm not sure Jax sidelines did or if they did why didn't they put a return guy back there??
Jacksonville Jaguars at New England Patriots - January 7th, 2006 | Pro-Football-Reference.com

I'm pulling for Dobson

But that's it, as of right now I've officially given up on Chad Jackson.

I know you're jesting...
Haven't been to camp this year, but one HUGE difference between the two. I got lambasted here for my thread on Chad as a BUST (we need 43 seasons to judge a draft pick, yada, yada) but it was visible to anyone conscious who went to camp that Chad, a physical specimen, was indifferent to coaching, always lined up wrong and Brady was seriously pissed at the guy's nonchalance. Brady hated the guy.

Well I have a little piece of my brain reserved for hoping that Dobson breaks out every year. But at this point it's shrunken to a quarter of its original size and wired directly into my amygdala.

You're killing my resurgent fanboy enthusiasm for Dobs!

I have no faith in Dropson anymore. Even if he makes the team and plays well. I'll still be pessimistic and reserved about his potential on the team. I'm not rooting for him.

Interesting Tweet here from former Patriot WR T.J. Moe.

I've been saying it for two seasons now. Of course many disagreed because one can never say anything "mean" about a player on this team. He is very unsure of himself. He must get through it.

The utter amateur football analyst in me suspected this was the case. Felt Develin's loss went very much underestimated last year.
Yeah, but I also don't think it needs to be overstated either...not that I'm accusing you. We don't know how much the struggles were Develin's loss vs. the putrid OLine. Obviously both played a part, but it'd be hard to quantify which was worse and/or how understated Develin's importance may have been.

Does that tweet By Havens contravene rules about not publicising trick plays?

Or does the fact that the play happened in open practice suggest the Pats just want to play with their opponents' minds?
I thought the same thing. I didn't think the media was allowed to say much of anything whether trick play or not.

By "hit on it," you mean stay healthy?
Yeah, of course staying healthy is a huge part of it - probably the biggest part. But it can't be denied that he's had issues with drops and body-catching, going to the ground at the catch, etc. Even if he just cleaned up those last few things a little, got a bit more confident, and simply remained healthy, he would probably do well here.

So now the "Dobson mythology" has grown to include "great camps and then disappearing in the season" complaint. People completely have forgotten his very good rookie year and all the injuries that have plagued him after.

I have no complaint with those that have criticised his play, even those who ***** about him being injured so often. What bothers me is the seeming joy those haters get in saying anything negative about a kid who seems to be trying VERY hard to get his career together. It may never happen (at least with the Patriots), but the gratuitous negativity seems out of bounds.....at least to me
Personally I thought Dobson looked very good when he had a chance to play last season. He was dominate against Buffalo in week 2 and even the catch that put him on IR was a very good play.

It's good to hear that Cannon is picking up right where he left off last year.
And 2014. No idea how this guy keeps making the roster other than needing the extra body, I suppose.

Personally I thought Dobson looked very good when he had a chance to play last season. He was dominate against Buffalo in week 2 and even the catch that put him on IR was a very good play.
He was hardly dominant. He was targeted a lot so numbers look a bit inflated. They were clearly making an effort to feed him early and often. He still juggled most of the ones he caught and was unspectacular after the catch on all except maybe two of the catches, which is disappointing for someone with his gifts. Let's not revise history. Furthermore, the Bills' defense underperformed last season. Lastly, he was benched for newly signed Keyshawn Martin one week after we acquired him.

I can't figure out how a receiver in his fourth season who still hasn't proven he can catch a football cleanly his whole career has so many people defending him. He has wound up on IR each of his first three seasons on top of that. Am I watching a different Dobson? Are there two on the team? What are you all seeing that I'm not? I've defended him so much in the past. I'm done. Show and prove time or cut bait. No matter how bad or underwhelming a player is on this team there always seems to be a contingent of people that go out of their way to defend him or make excuses. I don't understand it.

Last edited:
I can't figure out how a receiver in his fourth season who still hasn't proven he can catch a football cleanly his whole career has so many people defending him.
Curran thinks he's still not catching the ball cleanly:
Then you watch that drill with Brady and Garoppolo, Bennett and Gronkowski. And throw after throw, when Dobson could either catch the ball out front with his hands or let it come into his chest or cradle it into his stomach, he chooses the latter. The less safe, less polished, easier way to catch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe