PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Training Camp - Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Curran thinks he's still not catching the ball cleanly:
Then you watch that drill with Brady and Garoppolo, Bennett and Gronkowski. And throw after throw, when Dobson could either catch the ball out front with his hands or let it come into his chest or cradle it into his stomach, he chooses the latter. The less safe, less polished, easier way to catch.
And the beat goes on. It's the same thing over and over, unfortunately. He is what he is and that's not a very good NFL wide receiver to this point. He doesn't seem able to consistently trust his own ability and physicality. I really think it's as simple as that with him. But there will be those still holding on to hope. I'm not saying they're wrong for doing so... I'm just wondering why at this point. Some guys just don't have what it takes. He might just end up being one of those guys. Oh well.

I was cleaning up the DVR a couple months ago and re-watched a chunk of the first Patriots-Bills game from last season. I was surprised at how much Dobson was involved in the offense in that game. He was targeted 8 time and finished with 7 receptions for 87 yards. That turned out to be about 50% of his production for the year. I think he followed that game up with 2 games with no receptions.

There's only so many catches to go around and Dobson isn't go to pass Gronkowski and Edelman as a receiving option. Can he be a reliable 4th option (depending on the game plan) and stay healthy all year? If he can, great. If not, then the team will find someone else who can.

I was cleaning up the DVR a couple months ago and re-watched a chunk of the first Patriots-Bills game from last season. I was surprised at how much Dobson was involved in the offense in that game. He was targeted 8 time and finished with 7 receptions for 87 yards. That turned out to be about 50% of his production for the year. I think he followed that game up with 2 games with no receptions.

There's only so many catches to go around and Dobson isn't go to pass Gronkowski and Edelman as a receiving option. Can he be a reliable 4th option (depending on the game plan) and stay healthy all year? If he can, great. If not, then the team will find someone else who can.
Yup. They were obviously trying to get him involved. I remember being very happy about the team's effort to drive the ball to him, as well as the effort he put forth that day. I wanted to believe that would be the spark. Maybe he'd look a little something like the player we saw in the second half of his rookie season. Unfortunately, and as you pointed out, nothing significant followed.:(

I feel the team, like us, is thinking this kid has too many of the good attributes physically to fail. But I think he just doesn't have it mentally for whatever reason as a pro. I think he's unsure of himself and he clearly is afraid of contact. But he's lighting things up in camp and, as much as I want to be a smart ass, I'll say instead that I sincerely hope he can piece something together so that he can catch on with another team if he's cut. We're loaded at the WR position and, barring injury, I do believe he's on the outside looking in right now. We'll see how things play out. I'm going to be very interested to see what he does in joint practices when competition goes up a notch.

Dobson has 1 more year here..good year..he is staying..hurt or ehh year...out the door he goes

Dobson has 1 more year here..good year..he is staying..hurt or ehh year...out the door he goes
When his time does come to an end I honestly don't know what we'll talk about before the regular season starts. I'll start brainstorming now to keep the board alive.

Dobson continues to kick ass (in practice).

As many of us who were rooting for and were predicting Dobson to get kicked off the team this offseason, (myself definitely included) this is an interesting development.

I won't be convinced until it translates into, at least, preseason games. But at this point, he seems to have maintained the same high level of play that turned heads and drew praise in minicamp. What else can you ask from the guy? This would be, if he makes the team and becomes a solid regular season contributor despite intense competition, a pretty cool and unexpected story.

I've been saying it for two seasons now. Of course many disagreed because one can never say anything "mean" about a player on this team. He is very unsure of himself. He must get through it.

Well I know you're being semi-snarky, but it isn't that "one can never say anything mean about a player on this team". I believe, as others have pointed out elsewhere, that the high draft pick invested in him attaches a certain want to see him have success, probably moreso than a lower round pick or even a UDFA. It's clear the team feels that way as well or he'd be a goner a couple of years ago. The tools are there; it's a battle between his mind and his body, literally and figuratively. If he can overcome those hurdles, it can only help the Pats, not hurt them. Hey, at least he isn't outright quitting like some guys who have just plain dogged it after a few days of attempting to learn this offense (Galloway, Holt). And some of those guys had 10+ years of football service under their belts BEFORE joining the Pats.

So now the "Dobson mythology" has grown to include "great camps and then disappearing in the season" complaint. People completely have forgotten his very good rookie year and all the injuries that have plagued him after.

I have no complaint with those that have criticised his play, even those who ***** about him being injured so often. What bothers me is the seeming joy those haters get in saying anything negative about a kid who seems to be trying VERY hard to get his career together. It may never happen (at least with the Patriots), but the gratuitous negativity seems out of bounds.....at least to me

There's a few things at play when it comes to the criticism of Dobson. First is his name. It's a very smooth transition from Dobson to Dropson.

Second is his obvious fear of being hit, which causes him to drop passes and drop to the ground after catches. And that leads back to his nickname.

Aaron Dobson has earned every bit of the criticism that he has received.

Eeesh can you guys start your own Dobson-Dropson thread? It is as if he is the only story at camp.

Well I know you're being semi-snarky, but it isn't that "one can never say anything mean about a player on this team". I believe, as others have pointed out elsewhere, that the high draft pick invested in him attaches a certain want to see him have success, probably moreso than a lower round pick or even a UDFA. It's clear the team feels that way as well or he'd be a goner a couple of years ago. The tools are there; it's a battle between his mind and his body, literally and figuratively. If he can overcome those hurdles, it can only help the Pats, not hurt them. Hey, at least he isn't outright quitting like some guys who have just plain dogged it after a few days of attempting to learn this offense (Galloway, Holt). And some of those guys had 10+ years of football service under their belts BEFORE joining the Pats.
I've said a lot of the same things about Dobson, Atomic. But it's been three seasons going on four. And the fact is confidence is one of those things that is incredibly difficult to get back once a player has lost it. It could just click on one day but, and usually more likely, it could never come back.

Look, I'm not at all upset that people want to see him succeed. Why not? What does bother me is the fact that there are people who act as if those who have decided "move on" from Dobson are committing a sin. Obviously the tools are there, but we're literally talking about a player in his fourth season who still can't cleanly catch a football as a WIDE RECEIVER. C'mon, that deserves some criticism. It's Laurence Maroney all over again. A player who clearly isn't producing besides being given every opportunity while possessing all the good attributes to play his position...what gives?

I'm not attacking you or anyone, Atomic. I'm just frustrated that no matter what there always seems to be a defense team rushing to make excuses for that type of player right up until the player gets cut. And even then there are people who continue to defend the guy. I just don't get it is all I'm saying. Look at my post history and you'll see where I often talked about being patient with Dobson. Mine has run out. And for what it's worth, Curran reported that he's still "double" catching passes, despite the few spectacular catches he's been reported to have made. So we'll see. I'd hate for him to take a roster spot and end up in IR again or just suck in the offense. Sometimes you just have to cut bait with a high draft pick if the guy hasn't shown much. Dobson is towering that line, IMO.

Last edited:
If you are on twitter, you might want to follow Pat Kirwan. He'll be watching TC today.

@PatKirwanCBS

So now the "Dobson mythology" has grown to include "great camps and then disappearing in the season" complaint. People completely have forgotten his very good rookie year and all the injuries that have plagued him after.

I have no complaint with those that have criticised his play, even those who ***** about him being injured so often. What bothers me is the seeming joy those haters get in saying anything negative about a kid who seems to be trying VERY hard to get his career together. It may never happen (at least with the Patriots), but the gratuitous negativity seems out of bounds.....at least to me
Patsfanken, I have a huge respect, and even a bit of admiration, for you. You're like that long time locker room veteran who has earned respect. But I can't agree with you at all here. It's not "mythology" when it has actually played out exactly this way the past two off seasons and seasons. All of the great things people have reported this off season were also reported the past two. It doesn't translate to real games. No matter the reason, legit or not, I don't think it's unreasonable to question what's up with a second round pick, one highly touted for his great hands coming out of Marshall, going on his fourth year in the league and is struggling to make clean catches. I also don't agree with your assessment of his rookie season. He did not have a "good" rookie season. He had a very poor first half and decent second half before, wait for it, ending up on IR (a bit snarky, I know). Remember Brady in that Thursday night game? Dobson dropped TWO WIDE OPEN would-be touchdowns. I somewhat defended him even, giving him the 'it was wet' excuse. C'mon.

You mention injuries as if it somehow should be excluded in the evaluation of an athlete. That's kind of part of it too though, no? You're no good to your team if you're not in the field. Penny Hardaway could have been a HOF basketball player if he could stay on the court. A player's health is just as much a part of determining the trajectory of his career as his on-field production or lack thereof. Look at any great player in any sport and one of the things they share in common (among many traits) is availability and longevity. Brady has even echoed the sentiment. So to try to trivialize it because you want to defend a particular player is off base, IMO. People defended Ras-I the same way, especially since he also was a high second-rounder and had all the physical gifts (especially length), and where is he now? Last I heard he was languishing on the Jets' bench...deep on the depth chart.

Lastly, you say you have no complaint with the criticism but turn around and call those levying the complaints "haters?" It's weird to me, as it appears to be a bit contradictory. Is it really "hating" to point out that he really hasn't lived up to reasonable expectations besides a decent second half to his rookie season? Seriously, what has he done since? He had a decent game against an underwhelming Buffalo defense with the team so obviously force feeding him the football. And though his stats in that game look good when you read them, he didn't necessarily look "natural" doing it. There were plenty of double catches and uninspiring runs after the catch. Do you think he would have held onto that ball that Edelman caught and was subsequently BLASTED by Chancellor in the SB? Edelman, a seventh-round converted QB, did and even ran for more yards (though his knee was down where he got hit).

Look, I'll be the first to take the walk of shame if he even has a moderately good season, assuming he even makes the team at a crowded position. I really do take pride in being objective and in my ability to admit when I'm wrong. I think anyone who reads what I post should be able to see that by now (10K posts). But until he shows me something in the regular season (CONSISTENCY ESPECIALLY), I will continue to be a critic. I've defended him enough in the past. Until he doesn't wind up on IR or puts up a few more games that, at least statistically, look like the first Buffalo meeting last season, then I'll remain critical. Sorry to anyone who doesn't like it. Just please don't pretend that the criticism is coming from left field. It isn't.

Patsfanken, I hope I didn't come across in a belligerent manner. I mean no harm to anyone for his or her opinion, but especially not a locker room veteran like you. It's just my thoughts.

Eeesh can you guys start your own Dobson-Dropson thread? It is as if he is the only story at camp.

For example, the impact of Stork's Ob-gyn studies on his play...
548c09e4eb3b9_-_rbk-stork-de.jpg

(Seriously, good point and by the way thank you to whoever posted a minute or two of camp vid... a reminder that the roller-coaster's about to get revved up again...)

Like it or not the guy is part of the training camp story. There's always the ignore option.

He was targeted 8 times and had 7 catches?
And still your point about him being dominant was overstated, IMO. And I explained the reasons in the same post as to why I feel that way. I don't have anything more to add other than I respect your right to have the opinion you do, but I disagree. Stats seldom tell the whole story. But hey, maybe this is his year.

Well, given that Easley was a first rounder cut after only two years, I think it's clear that BB sees something worth keeping in Dobson, as opposed to just keeping him based on his draft position...Edelman took a while to develop...there are two receivers recovering from surgery...I think Dobaon has a good shot to make the 53 at least out of preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case