PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Draft Prospect Thread

I can see us drafting RB with our first pick. Isnt Blounts contract up?

Plus looks like its a deep draft for RB's

Generally I don't believe in drafting RBs high. Last year I would have been okay with taking Gurley at 32 but he was a special player and I had no idea Lewis would be what he is.

If the Pats want Blount back i am 100% confident they will be able to do so. He likes being here and wants to stay.

I have no issue with not taking a RB next year and think unless it is far and away the best player left we should look to other positions.

Generally I don't believe in drafting RBs high. Last year I would have been okay with taking Gurley at 32 but he was a special player and I had no idea Lewis would be what he is.

If the Pats want Blount back i am 100% confident they will be able to do so. He likes being here and wants to stay.

I have no issue with not taking a RB next year and think unless it is far and away the best player left we should look to other positions.

Maybe it's just me but when you watch our running backs do they seem that they are too versatile? With Blount he's a short yardage and a good blocker. Lewis is a very good receiver and can run the ball pretty good as well. But we don't seem to have that back that is able to take the majority of snaps and just run the ball. I know that the pats don't typically use just one back but I think if we were able to have a back like Derrick Henry I really do believe that will give Brady someone dependable to lean on instead of him having to throw the ball all the time. But please don't get me wrong i love Blount and Lewis.

So I have been watching quite a bit of film on Will Redmond Mississippi St 6'-0" 186 and the more I watch the more I'm comparing him to Malcolm Butler. He tackles extremely well especially in open space, he isn't afraid to get his noise dirty. He sheds blocks extremely well on screen passes and bootlegs. Most of the time he is in the right place to make a play on the ball but occasionally he gets turned around but he uses athleticism to get back into the play. Mel Kiper was really bullish with him at the start of the season but I'm pretty sure you could get him in the 3rd.

So I have been watching quite a bit of film on Will Redmond Mississippi St 6'-0" 186 and the more I watch the more I'm comparing him to Malcolm Butler. He tackles extremely well especially in open space, he isn't afraid to get his noise dirty. He sheds blocks extremely well on screen passes and bootlegs. Most of the time he is in the right place to make a play on the ball but occasionally he gets turned around but he uses athleticism to get back into the play. Mel Kiper was really bullish with him at the start of the season but I'm pretty sure you could get him in the 3rd.

Maybe later now, he's just torn his ACL.

Honestly guys, what Patriots needs in a good Vet CB, not another young guy, atleast thats the way I look at it. Do I think they could draft a DB on day 3? Sure, but they have so many young promising guys so what they need is a good Vet.

Maybe later now, he's just torn his ACL.

Well we actually might be able to land him now, taking him in the 3rd was really a pipe dream he was probably gonna be a mid to late 1st rounder, now I would use the revis compensatory (99ish) on him but if he slipped into the 5th or 6th round I think he would be a huge steal.

Honestly guys, what Patriots needs in a good Vet CB, not another young guy, atleast thats the way I look at it. Do I think they could draft a DB on day 3? Sure, but they have so many young promising guys so what they need is a good Vet.
I think they just really need a cb, you can never have enough young talent.

This is where I'm leaning. Unfortunately I'd prioritise Collins, Hightower and Chandler Jones contracts over a FA cornerback, so the question is, how much money will be left over?

Not sure if he's been mentioned here already, but would Amukamara fit the bill? Not sure what his price is going to be due to injuries, but apparently the Giants didn't pick up his option. From what I've read, he was on a Pro Bowl incline before his recent injuries. Only 26, but I believe this would be his fifth or sixth season coming up.

Not sure if he's been mentioned here already, but would Amukamara fit the bill? Not sure what his price is going to be due to injuries, but apparently the Giants didn't pick up his option. From what I've read, he was on a Pro Bowl incline before his recent injuries. Only 26, but I believe this would be his fifth or sixth season coming up.

Two things.

1. Back in 2011 I was a regular visitor to another Patriots forum and they had a guy who turned out to legitimately have a source within the Patriots. He called the McCourty pick the year before and said, before 2011's day two that we would draft two RBs that year. On that too he was right (Vereen, Ridley). Well, before day one in 2011 had started, he said that the Patriots were interested in trading up for two players, one an offensive player, one a CB. The offensive player turned out to be Tyron Smith and the CB, of course, was Prince Amakumara. I think he was right on that because we ended up taking Nate Solder and Ras-I with our first two picks - exactly the same type of prospect and at the same positions.

2. Amukamara came in for a visit that year.

When BB signs players, quite often they are payers that visited pre-draft and that had previously been linked to the Pats. Which is my way of saying that I think signing Amukamara could very well happen.

Two things.

1. Back in 2011 I was a regular visitor to another Patriots forum and they had a guy who turned out to legitimately have a source within the Patriots. He called the McCourty pick the year before and said, before 2011's day two that we would draft two RBs that year. On that too he was right (Vereen, Ridley). Well, before day one in 2011 had started, he said that the Patriots were interested in trading up for two players, one an offensive player, one a CB. The offensive player turned out to be Tyron Smith and the CB, of course, was Prince Amakumara. I think he was right on that because we ended up taking Nate Solder and Ras-I with our first two picks - exactly the same type of prospect and at the same positions.

2. Amukamara came in for a visit that year.

When BB signs players, quite often they are payers that visited pre-draft and that had previously been linked to the Pats. Which is my way of saying that I think signing Amukamara could very well happen.

Thanks for posting that. I'd like to hear more from that anonymous poster.

I wasn't high on Amukamara like some were that draft, but he had a very nice foundation to work with, and a quality bit of character to go along with it. His injuries have him trending downward, and this offseason might be the perfect time to zero in on him. He does seem like a BB type of player.

Thanks for posting that. I'd like to hear more from that anonymous poster.

I wasn't high on Amukamara like some were that draft, but he had a very nice foundation to work with, and a quality bit of character to go along with it. His injuries have him trending downward, and this offseason might be the perfect time to zero in on him. He does seem like a BB type of player.

I wonder if they give him a short-term prove-it type deal or maybe a front loaded deal for the longer term. We'll save about 7m on the cap by letting Mayo go and there'll be savings if they extend Hightower and Jones so there are cap savings to be had in the short term. Another benefit is that we don't have to sign much in the way of free agents this season. looking at what we have leaving, the only players/positions that give me any concern at all are Blount, Develin and Hicks, none of whom will be that expensive to replace.

I wonder if they give him a short-term prove-it type deal or maybe a front loaded deal for the longer term. We'll save about 7m on the cap by letting Mayo go and there'll be savings if they extend Hightower and Jones so there are cap savings to be had in the short term. Another benefit is that we don't have to sign much in the way of free agents this season. looking at what we have leaving, the only players/positions that give me any concern at all are Blount, Develin and Hicks, none of whom will be that expensive to replace.

I'd like to see us hang on to one of these high profile CBs. Seeing Talib leave sucked. Even more so with Revis. If we did sign Prince, I'd like to see it be at a team friendly number for at least two years, with enough guaranteed money to make him feel appreciated. Our secondary needs a bit of continuity. Cycling through draft picks and players at that position every single year needs to stop.

I just watched a video of a hazing of Prince by more than a handful of other Giants' players, notably JPP. Apparently, Amukamara was dunked in the cold tubs roughly 8 times, many of these outside of his rookie season. I don't have a problem with some good natured ribbing, but apparently based on the look on his face after the dunking caught on video, and subsequent statements from him, it was a morale inhibitor that negatively affected him.

I bring this up because it kind of pissed me off for him, and made me eager to see him leave that locker room of bullies, for one full of team captains and good guys.

This is where I'm leaning. Unfortunately I'd prioritise Collins, Hightower and Chandler Jones contracts over a FA cornerback, so the question is, how much money will be left over?

I would cut; Mayo, Cannon and Chris Jones. We should get an AHern credit. That's about 14m. Enough for Collins and a cb. Hightower and Chandler Jones extensions should lower their 2016 number.

I'm looking at; cb, ot, ilb and wr in 2016 draft. Maybe, a rb too.

I just watched a video of a hazing of Prince by more than a handful of other Giants' players, notably JPP. Apparently, Amukamara was dunked in the cold tubs roughly 8 times, many of these outside of his rookie season. I don't have a problem with some good natured ribbing, but apparently based on the look on his face after the dunking caught on video, and subsequent statements from him, it was a morale inhibitor that negatively affected him.

I bring this up because it kind of pissed me off for him, and made me eager to see him leave that locker room of bullies, for one full of team captains and good guys.

So JPP roughly dunked Prince 8 times in a cold tub???

Ironic how years later, the number 8 equals up to the amount of fingers JPP has left. What an idiot!

So JPP roughly dunked Prince 8 times in a cold tub???

Ironic how years later, the number 8 equals up to the amount of fingers JPP has left. What an idiot!

The circle is now complete;)

I would cut; Mayo, Cannon and Chris Jones. We should get an AHern credit. That's about 14m. Enough for Collins and a cb. Hightower and Chandler Jones extensions should lower their 2016 number.

I'm looking at; cb, ot, ilb and wr in 2016 draft. Maybe, a rb too.
Keep in mind that the pats obviously like cannon more than the fans do

An interesting prospect to keep an eye on:

Shon Coleman, OT, Auburn

6-6, 314, Jnr (but is 24 so good chance he declares)

From Dane Brugler:

A five-star offensive tackle recruit out of high school, Coleman arrived at Auburn with a chance to earn a starting job as a true freshman. But his life was changed in the spring of 2010 when he was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and spent the next two seasons focused on beating the disease. After declared cancer free, Coleman redshirted in 2012 as he tried to get back into football shape and spent the 2013 season as a back-up to future first round pick Greg Robinson. With Robinson off to the NFL, Coleman took over the snaps at left tackle in 2014 and he has steadily progressed into one of the SEC's best blockers. He has an ideal physical skill-set with his frame and length, sitting in his stance to stay balanced, extend and keep rushers in front of him. Coleman needs to do a better job controlling the point of attack with his strong hands instead of just jolting his target, but he has a quick punch and recoil and always keeps busy. He has agile feet to comfortably seal the edge or get to the second level and has a lot of NFL-ready tools. This is just speculation on my part, but with Coleman's talent and the fact that he's turning 24 years old in November, he is a candidate to leave Auburn early for the 2016

Seahawks Draft Blog:

His overall technique has improved every single week. He’s delivering a powerful jolt to the chest on most blocks, keeping the defender in front. The footwork is masterful — he’s the prototypical dancing bear. There’s plenty of attitude to his play — he chirps at defenders after successful plays. Coleman frequently puts a guy on the deck, finishing the block.

I’m convinced he can play anywhere on the line. He might start at right tackle and move to the left. He’d be a superb guard. Shon Coleman could be the best 2016 eligible player nobody talks about. He could be the best O-liner in next years class. Coleman is the real deal — and has to be on the radar for any Seahawks fan interested in the draft. They’ll be lucky if they have a chance to select this guy.

Burst + Breakaway speed + hands + effort = binky

Matt Breida, RB, Georgia Southern

5-10, 185lbs, Jnr

And check out this video. See that guy who sprints from behind on this 67 yard TD to throw the decisive block. That's Breida. Effort for the win.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back