PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2016 Draft Prospect Thread

Tony Pauline has ranked the SEC prospects

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=10704

Big take away is him ranking Vernon Hargreaves as a 3rd rounder (says scouts aren't as high on him as everyone else).

Arkansas could be an interesting team to scout this year:

Arkansas

The strength of the Razorbacks next level prospects can be found in the junior class.

Hunter Henry is an athletic pass catching tight end who consistently creates mismatches downfield.

Dan Skipper is a lot more than just a big body at tackle rather a surprisingly fluid athlete who can block the edge or dominate run blocking.

Add in two RBs. including Alex Collins (see post above) and that's four interesting prospects. For those of you that don't know, Dan Skipper is 6'10".

I thought Treadwell was the best 2016 eligible player until he got hurt. Ugly break against Auburn. Hope he's healthy. Other than cb, not a lot of holes on the roster. Will be fun to follow the rb's this year. Looks like we could surely use someone there.

Bruce Feldman has started to post his 'freaks' list. It's the first real look at the athletic marvels in the upcoming draft. So far he's done #16-25

25-21

and

20-16

Some notables for me:

Kemoko Turay, someone I've been talking about a fair bit has a 40" vert and runs in the 4.6s apparently at 240lbs.

Missouri LT Connor McGovern (probably a LG in NFL) has done 40 reps at 225, vertical jumps 34" and has run sub 5.00

Finally, for this update, whilst I know we don't need a centre, Temple centre Kyle Friend:

has started 33 consecutive games -- benched 225 pounds 46 times and also ran the 40 in 4.95 seconds.

"Kyle is the strongest player I've ever coached," said Temple head coach Matt Rhule, a former NFL assistant.

"He is also the best combination of strength and speed I've ever coached."

I know we have talked about him before, But I really want Glenn Gronk - The more i see and read, the more i beleave he could become a AH replacement, former WR, but much better blocker then AH ok less agility.

Combine it with Derek Watt also FB - But used to be RB, then i think Josh and BB really could be creative for 2017.

Haveing 2x FB/HB/TE things on the field with Rob Gronk and Jimmy G who can scramble some.

Best part, both could be 4-5 round picks. IF BB gets 3x 6s comp then Im sure one gonna be QB, might wanna look for one of those also, upside camp arm thing.

As of right now im looking at OT/RB as 64 and 96 Might need a replacement for Solder or Atleast Vollmer who can cover LT if Solder gets signed.

I know we have talked about him before, But I really want Glenn Gronk - The more i see and read, the more i beleave he could become a AH replacement, former WR, but much better blocker then AH ok less agility.

Combine it with Derek Watt also FB - But used to be RB, then i think Josh and BB really could be creative for 2017.

Haveing 2x FB/HB/TE things on the field with Rob Gronk and Jimmy G who can scramble some.

Best part, both could be 4-5 round picks. IF BB gets 3x 6s comp then Im sure one gonna be QB, might wanna look for one of those also, upside camp arm thing.

As of right now im looking at OT/RB as 64 and 96 Might need a replacement for Solder or Atleast Vollmer who can cover LT if Solder gets signed.

I'm looking at CB or OT with our first pick (hope we need neither) with RB after that. Not convinced that Glenn Gronk is a Hernandez replacement. From what little I've seen, he's closer to Develin than AH.

And how many will be top 3 or top 5 when its draft time? - Normaly many of the 1 rounds players at this time of year, ends up going in the round 2 or 3. Could be funny to list and see how many there really stays in the top.

And how many will be top 3 or top 5 when its draft time? - Normaly many of the 1 rounds players at this time of year, ends up going in the round 2 or 3. Could be funny to list and see how many there really stays in the top.

Absolutely. There should be little stock put in it this early. Still nice to see it though because it gives some context to any early scouting.

I've just included Minnesota CB Eric Murray in my latest mock. Here's an article about him. The standout line for me is:

Jay Sawvel noted "He's a good tackler, he's a great blitzer, he's a tremendous special-teams player, he's very, very good in press coverage to the point where a lot of times a play will just break down. There are a lot of times that he doesn't show up in a play, but he's a big part of our success in it because of what he does for us in the style of football we play."

http://www.thedailygopher.com/2015/...ay-and-the-limitations-of-football-statistics

Chad Reuter grades and gives a short description of the best seniors in the draft class of 2016. Invaluable guide to get you familiar with the senior class.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...balls-top-senior-prospects-for-2016-nfl-draft

Use the tabs at the top of the page to sort through the different ranks.

Of the guys I've been intrigued by early:

DJ Foster, RB/WR, Arkansas St. - Top 50
Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota - Top 80
Braxton Miller - Top 120
Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota - Top 120
Taveze Calhoun, CB, Miss St. - Top 150

Two junior WRs that are very interesting are:

1. Rashard Higgins, Colorado State, 6'2", 188lbs

Don't know what his forty is, but he's got real burst. Had a 19.1 average yardage on screens last year. Hate the way he carries the football though.

2. William Fuller, Notre Dame, 6', 180lbs

Looks really fast and fluid with the ball in his hands. Gets to max speed in a hurry.

Oh! And I've watched four or five RBs that I think could comfortably get into the top 64 next year. And there are probably more too. It's a good class potentially at the offensive skill positions.

I've only watched highlights of him so far, but how about this for a prediction - Myles Jack will be second only to JJ Watt as a defensive player in the NFL in the next three to four years (assuming he declares). Good grief, he's amazing at pretty much every facet of the game. I haven't seen a linebacker as good as him at man to man coverage and his ability to break down in space is as good as I've seen for a linebacker. Best linebacker I've watched on tape* by a long way.

*Just to repeat, highlights only though.

Last edited:
Two junior WRs that are very interesting are:

1. Rashard Higgins, Colorado State, 6'2", 188lbs

Don't know what his forty is, but he's got real burst. Had a 19.1 average yardage on screens last year. Hate the way he carries the football though.

2. William Fuller, Notre Dame, 6', 180lbs

Looks really fast and fluid with the ball in his hands. Gets to max speed in a hurry.

Oh! And I've watched four or five RBs that I think could comfortably get into the top 64 next year. And there are probably more too. It's a good class potentially at the offensive skill positions.

Man, why do highlight videos have such awful music ?

Man, why do highlight videos have such awful music ?

Tell me about it. If it's a black prospect it's Mother-Effin rap and heavy metal for a white prospect. Come on guys, mix it up a little.

Beer, who sayed something with beer?

Kyle Friend the Temple centre was in Bruce Feldman's 'Freaks List" described by his coach as "The strongest player I've ever coached". Want to see some evidence of that? Click on the link below.

https://vine.co/v/eT91WT0rZiK

Possible Wendell replacement?

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call