PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2013 Week 1 Sweet 16

ivanvamp

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Time to unveil the first Sweet 16 of the season. Many people here would argue that the #1 team of the season has to be last year's champs. Tough cookies. I am going with the team that I think is the best team in the league, and the Ravens are not that. Things are different now than they were at the end of the Super Bowl. That said, here we go:

1. San Francisco - Kaepernick is the real deal. Yes, they lost Crabtree, but Boldin will be very helpful. They have all the pieces to be great.

2. Denver - I don't like the Broncos and think they will be hurt some by losing Dumervil and Von Miller, though Miller will return after his suspension. I do think the running game has the potential to be excellent, and who in their right mind would bet against them scoring a lot of points?

3. Seattle - I think this team has the potential to be the best in the league, if Russell Wilson continues to develop. Very good defense, lots of playmakers. Should make for a great battle with SF for the division.

4. New England - Depends on two things: (1) the development of the young WRs, and (2) health on defense. They're not deep on D, at DT, CB, or S. Their starters will form a good unit, so if they can stay healthy, they should be pretty good.

5. Green Bay - Rodgers is flat-out awesome, and he's proven that he can do it with a bad offensive line. They have good skill position players and playmakers on defense.

6. Atlanta - They have all the pieces. Is this the year they finally get over the hump? Or will it be more disappointment for the Falcons?

7. Baltimore - Gotta put them in the top 25% of the league. They're going to be very good, but repeating is always tough.

8. Houston - Added some talent both in the draft and by getting injured players back. How healthy is Foster, and how productive will he be? I assume he'll be good, and that the Texans will be ready to challenge for AFC supremacy.

9. NY Giants - They still have a solid team in most areas. Good coach, very good QB. They'll be fine.

10. Cincinnati - I am very wary of putting them up here, but they do have a lot of talent. So we'll see.

11. Washington - How is RGIII's knee? If his health holds up, they'll be pretty good. If not, they're in trouble. And right now the jury is out on him.

12. Dallas - It amazes me that a team with so much talent can consistently underperform like the Cowboys do.

13. Indianapolis - Their record may not end up 11-5, but they're a solid team. Luck is rapidly becoming a star, and Wayne still has life left in those legs of his.

14. Pittsburgh - They seem to follow a bad year with a couple of very good ones. Still one of the better franchises in the sport.

15. New Orleans - I think they'll rebound after last year's debacle. Brees is primed for a monster year and I think the defense will be better. They might sneak up on a lot of people this season.

16. Kansas City - This is a risky call because they've been pretty bad the last few years. But I think they could surprise - they have some good talent there. Can Alex Smith lead them?

I would have Washington or even Chicago in place of KC.

I dunno man, hard to see ATL at #6. They already had a really good offense and then they added Steven Jackson.

Honestly at this point I'd have them #2 behind SF.

I don't think SF will be as good as people think. On the other end of things, I predict Washington will become one of the best teams in the league. Possibly Indianapolis as well. People tend to forget how far elite QB play can take you.

I would have Washington or even Chicago in place of KC.

I have KC at #16 and Washington at #11. Do you want me to move the Redskins down five notches?

As for Chicago...meh....I am not at all sold on Cutler.

I dunno man, hard to see ATL at #6. They already had a really good offense and then they added Steven Jackson.

Honestly at this point I'd have them #2 behind SF.

Yep, they just might be a top 2-3 team this year. And during the regular season, they seem to be year-in and year-out.

I don't think SF will be as good as people think. On the other end of things, I predict Washington will become one of the best teams in the league. Possibly Indianapolis as well. People tend to forget how far elite QB play can take you.

Do you think that Kaepernick is "elite", or is he not on the same level as RGIII? How would you rank the QBs?

What is sweet 16?
Is it a Power Ranking but with only 16 teams?

Lol at kap. Wait until he runs and gets laid out. He won't be near as good as some think.

You're overrating Denver, IMO. I like SF, NE, SEA, ATL all better than the Broncos.

Some have said K was freewheeling and guessing a fair amount last year in SF... I'm guessing smart D coordinators watched all kinds of film these last few months and that he doesn't do as well as Luck, for example.

I don't like SF for the same reason many live them - their qb.

Do you think that Kaepernick is "elite", or is he not on the same level as RGIII? How would you rank the QBs?

Of the "big 4" young QBs, I'd rank:

1. Luck - elite physical skills, seems to be improving ball security this year, has always been a leader and not prone to injury.

2. RG3 - the best of the bunch when healthy but can't be relied on to stay healthy.

3. Wilson - not far behind Luck and RG3, I think he'll reach elite status.

4. Kaepernick - might have just caught teams off guard coming in midseason, wasn't terribly impressive with his accuracy, could have just been a product of all the talent around him. Let's see how he does with film on him and no Crabtree.

In short, I think Luck/RG3/Wilson will become the next generation of elite quarterbacks and Kaepernick will prove to be a flash in the pan.

Not sold on the Bronc's OL or D, not sure that SF will be as injury free this year as they were last year.

Not sold on the Bronc's OL or D, not sure that SF will be as injury free this year as they were last year.

I hope you're right ! :rocker:

I wasn't sold on Indy's D when Peyton was there either, but they were consistently one of the very best teams in the league all those years. And the weapons at Peyton's disposal this year are sick.

I agree on SF - they were incredibly fortunate in the health department. Hard to imagine their luck holding 2 years in a row. But they have SO many excellent players that they can probably withstand a few hits.

Neither RG III or Kaepernick are proven yet. Neither has even played more than 10 games, so they are both very raw.

Rodgers might get eaten alive by the 49ers defense on Sunday!

He's worked with bad offensive lines before but this one looks absolutely terrible, he will have to do a lot of scrambling around to stay upright this year.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back