PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

2012 NFL Free Agents

Status
Not open for further replies.

And best of all, it marks the franchise tag candidates so people stop saying the Pats should sign them.

AMEN!!

What I love MOST about that list is that Mario Williams is NOT marked!! :rocker:

He MAY get franchised, but with Planet Hoosten's Cap situation, Super Mario's ENORMOUS Cap Hit IF they Franchise him, significant Depth at Flanker, AND his questionable fit in that Scheme...it is VERY possible ~ as I and others have noted elsewhere ~ that he kicks FREE!! :eek:

Is there a site that has all the projected cap figures?

Free agents that caught my eye.

Peyton Hillis (if BJGE leaves) I know he wasnt a fav of mcdaniels but BB usually has a thing for bringing in guys who dominated the pats (Ocho, Wes)

Hillis could be a steal after coming off a disappointing season. Any team that signs him, will get more than the Browns got last season, but less than he did in 2010.

I also like a veteran like Tyler Brayton, who can bring in some leadership and experience for any young defensive end the Patriots draft.

I'll pass on Payton Hills. A fumbler and a quitter plus there is conflict of interest since Josh McD is now our Offensive coordinator.

The saftey and CB position is intriguing because it really depends upon in BB thing Devin is the answer at FS of whether he is a CB who has had a bad year

Couldn't agree more with this.

The secondary moving forward should have 3 quality corners and 2 safeties plus backups. Chung and Arrington are starters, Moore / Dowling is your nickle and top cb backup. That means we have 1 cb and 1 S spot to fill. One spot goes to McCourty and the other will be filled in FA (hopefully).

I would happily give up our 2 first rounders for Williams. However, unless the Texans happen to be high during the off-season, there's no way they are letting him go. Talent like that is rarely left out the door.

That's absolutely absurd. No way I would give up 2 first rounders for Mario Williams. The guy is a great player, but I'd rather have the two picks.

I agree on your Safety choices Cousin. I want to throw one in the ring whom I think has Rodney characteristics. From Rotoworld:

Cardinals SS Adrian Wilson is due a $3 million roster bonus in March.
It's on top of his $6.5 million salary, and a lot to pay for a 32-year-old "box" safety. Pro Football Focus did grade Wilson as the second best cover safety in football this past season. He had 65 tackles and one interception.

No way the Cards pay him $9.5mm. The size, intelligence, experience, locker room presence and talent and desire to win would make Wilson a fit here.

I'd love to add Wilson. Safeties seem to play well late into their careers. Recently Dawkins and Sharper have had success and we all know about Rodney.

I think that OLB is a need and I think that even as a back up, Guyton is a gonner as is Cunningham. In a 4-3 our OLB starters are Nink and Mayo. You have to keep Mayo on the field and Ninc has had a superb year and seems to be progressing. Fletcher can play inside out or DE. But.....I have a hybrid in mind to play OLB and DE.

I think Carter resigns and Anderson has been much better as the season progressed but it there an upgrade for the Ellis/Anderson DE combo opposite Carter at least as a strater? Mario is obvious but I can't see him getting out of Houston. How about 6'5" 260 lb DE/OLB Trevor Scott of Oakland? He is still young. He has been dinged the last two years (ACL) but his first two he had 12 sacks. He has OLB and DE experience and if healthy, maybe a steal. He will not demand much $.

I too see Cunningham, Ellis and Guyton as roster spots that should be upgraded. Brace could be on that list although my feeling is he stays. Deaderick, Wilfork, Love, Carter / Anderson is a good starting line / sub rusher.

I've never heard of the kid from OAK but I don't think BB wants to start a 260lb LDE. Maybe you bring him in for RDE? Bringing back Carter and Anderson to compete for the RDE spot.

I have two to consider as valuable 2012 roster adds. How about CB Cortland Finnegan? He is a tough kid and will pound you and tackle (75 in 2011). He is still young. He and Wilson would make the Defense mean with Chung and Spikes.

I think BB looks at Reggie Wayne. Mutual respect. Maybe still the best route runner in the NFL and can get open. At 34 he is not as swift but he has the experience to be open and who wants him one on one with Gronk, Hernandez and WW running around. An upgrade on the still-decent-but-not-demanding-double-coverage-anymore Branch for sure? Reggie has more size as well.

DW Toys

I'd love to add Finnegan. I don't think we need to add both Finnegan and Wilson though. Agree with all you said about Wayne. Would certainly be cheaper than Lloyd.

Re: Brandon Lloyd

Lloyd has already expressed interest in joining the Pats and coach McDaniel in 2012. This could be the break the Pats need because it can help solve WR problems, provide a deep threat and let the Pats focus the 2012 draft on defense. Imagine the Pats receiving corps of Gronks, Walker, Hernandez and Lloyd.

The other good thing with signing Lloyd is that he has already played the route option game the Pats use, and likes it. We wouldn't have to worry that he wouldn't or couldn't fit into it.

Are we being a little unrealistic looking at big money/big name free agent signings like Mario Williams? My impression is that BB has soured on these after Adalius Thomas and Roosevelt Colvin. Have there been any since those two, not including re-upping our own players?

It's going to be maturing vets or players looking to re-hab their careers on a one year contract.

Free agency is where its at... I mean all these mock drafts at the minute will be hugely inaccurate as most teams will fill some holes in FA, obviously changing their team needs a the same time. There are plenty of interesting FA's to look at in the defensive backfield, front 7 and WR. My favorites are Landry, Rogers, Calais Campbell, Brooks, Super Mario and of course Brandon Lloyd.

We still have the personell to fit the 3-4 best IMO. Wilfork as nose, and Mayo and Spikes as ILBs is a strength for us.

Therefore, Calais Campbell is a top of the list candidate. Mario Williams excelled at DE, but would he be the same monster at OLB? It's hard to say.

Regardless of any schemery, those two would be the first I'd contact and try to sign.

We still have the personell to fit the 3-4 best IMO. Wilfork as nose, and Mayo and Spikes as ILBs is a strength for us.

Therefore, Calais Campbell is a top of the list candidate. Mario Williams excelled at DE, but would he be the same monster at OLB? It's hard to say.

Regardless of any schemery, those two would be the first I'd contact and try to sign.

My dream scenario of the off-season FAs signings would be Campbell and Goldson. Which of course means it won't happen.

Are we being a little unrealistic looking at big money/big name free agent signings like Mario Williams? My impression is that BB has soured on these after Adalius Thomas and Roosevelt Colvin. Have there been any since those two, not including re-upping our own players?

It's going to be maturing vets or players looking to re-hab their careers on a one year contract.

Bravo manxman!! Mario Wiliams would be a great pickup BUT far too expensive and lets get him off the list. Two palyers to watch are Laron Landry and Wilson. Landry may be damaged goods but the talent is incredible and a one year deal may be the best. If the Pats can get a solid safety in FA and also draft one (Barron, Martin) and have him learn under Chung and a a FA pickup. I really think if the Pats can solidify the safety position than McCourty will return to his probowl CB level very quickly and the safety problems have really been underestimated.

I think the Pats need to be super aggressive in pursuing top FA's this off-season. Get a couple of good ones. We don't have anyone we're losing (hopefully not Wekler..errr..Welker) so there will be some money to spend. Sign Lloyd. He might take a bit of a discount if the offer is fair. Signing a safety or a corner is a must. Get some experience back there with what we have and use a draft pick on another CB. Maybe a linebacker who can cover some of these average tight ends we've been getting burned by. We still have a window with Brady and the bunch. We have some 4 high picks in a good draft to replenish some positions of need.

In doing a little Internet research, I found that Calais Campbell and the Cards seem to want to stay married. He'll probably get a contract from them, or Franchised, if not.

Looks like Finnegan could make it to the market:

The Titans shuffled their front office earlier this week, but cornerback Cortland Finnegan isn’t sure the moves will change anything.

He remains pessimistic about his chances of returning to the team in 2012.

Mike Reinfeldt was promoted from general manager to senior executive vice president, Ruston Webster was promoted to GM and Lake Dawson replaced Webster as vice president of player personnel.

Finnegan, who said he hasn’t heard from the Titans since the end of the season, suspects all three men think along the same lines.

“I hope it changes things, but I don’t know,” Finnegan said. “All those guys work closely together. You see all of them — Lake, Ruston and Mike — together all the time. So I don’t know that a lot will change. Mike Reinfeldt will still be on top of everything.

“I’m discouraged nothing has happened, but I am still in a holding pattern.”

The Titans can negotiate exclusively with their free agents until March 13. They re-signed tight end Craig Stevens to a four-year contract last week, but 17 other players on the season-ending roster are scheduled to be unrestricted free agents.
Link

Article also says the team hasn't contacted Finnegan's agent. I'd love to get this guy. Especially if McCourty is moved to FS full time.

Welker value

I'm curious about how the Pats- and this board- value Welker?

First, how much would we be willing to pay? I think $8M over 3 years would be on the high end given his age, though his numbers certainly justify more.

Second, how big a statistical drop off would there be between Welker starting in the slot and Edelman starting in the slot? Next year, say 1,200 yards vs. 900 yards, maybe? The following year, even less of a difference I suspect.

Third, if we're only paying one receiver $8 millions per year in free agency, should it be Welker or Brandon Lloyd? Would we rather have Welker and Branch/Edelman as our top 2 receivers, or Lloyd and Branch/Edelman?

Ideally, we find a way to sign both. However, I'm not sure that the difference between Welker and Edelman would be worth losing out on Lloyd.

I suspect many of you will strongly disagree.

For Receiver:
Wes Welker <---- A MUST
Josh Morgan
Jericho Cotchery
Pierre Garcon

Corner:
Brandon Carr
Tracy Porter
Terrell Thomas
Al Harris

DaBruinz? you saw Josh Morgan play? he looks like a sleeper on that 49ers roster if there was ever one...good find. I would kill for Pierre Garcon
i think he's a #1 WR.

Re: Welker value

I'm curious about how the Pats- and this board- value Welker?

First, how much would we be willing to pay? I think $8M over 3 years would be on the high end given his age, though his numbers certainly justify more.

Second, how big a statistical drop off would there be between Welker starting in the slot and Edelman starting in the slot? Next year, say 1,200 yards vs. 900 yards, maybe? The following year, even less of a difference I suspect.

Third, if we're only paying one receiver $8 millions per year in free agency, should it be Welker or Brandon Lloyd? Would we rather have Welker and Branch/Edelman as our top 2 receivers, or Lloyd and Branch/Edelman?

Ideally, we find a way to sign both. However, I'm not sure that the difference between Welker and Edelman would be worth losing out on Lloyd.

I suspect many of you will strongly disagree.

Well, let's break it down Welker's five years with the Pats (he'll turn 31 on May 1st, BTW).

He's been top ten among ALL pass-catchers 4 years (29th in 2010, rehabbing from ACL surgery), and #2 overall twice, both times leading the league in receiving 1st downs. He's been #1 in YAC four years. His catch rate dropped below 71% only once (2010, 69%).

Welker's base salary in 2011 was $2.15M, total compensation $4.125M.

It's difficult to work out a performance/salary comparison, because none of the guys who are being paid more than Welker have produced as consistently. For instance, Welker has out-produced Roddy White during three of the last five years and virtually tied him in the fourth year, and yet White's 2011 base in $4M with total comp at $6.525M White's contract will pay him and average base of $5.4M and an average total comp of about $7.8M. And White is literally 6 months and one day younger than Welker.

So, I'm guessing a new 3-yr deal for Welker is going to have to be in the same range as White's, at least.

As to Edelman as a Welker replacement, no. After Edelman's 2009 (rookie) "season, I was thinking "maybe", and I do believe he'd perform a lot better than he has the past two seasons if he was getting all the first team reps in Welker's spot. But your projections for his production (900 yards) are optimistic. I'd guess more in the 600-700 yard range at best, about half Welker's average (excluding the "rehab year", when he produced "only" 850 yds).

BTW, I'm not sure why you'd be concerned about paying Welker $8M over 3 years "considering his age", but might be okay with paying that to Brandon Lloyd when Lloyd is only two months younger than Welker and not nearly as accomplished.

I look at what we paid Moss when considering Welker. Moss got 3yr/27m after his record breaking 07 season. I don't see any way Welker gets more than that. My guess is 3yr/24m with a big bonus and a year guaranteed. 12M bonus 4m per year. Cap hit is 8m. He essentially gets 2 years guaranteed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST